Wifi speeds decreasing after 5-10 mins?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this since I got the phone the other day. I'm connected to wifi and for the first couple of minutes my wifi speeds are what they should be which are around 15-18mbps. Then after about 5 or 6 minutes maybe a little more the download speeds decrease to around .80mbps. Upload speeds remain the same.

Can others test this out.

Connect to wifi
Then run a speedtest via the speedtest app which is available in the market
Then put your phone down for several minutes
Then run another test and see what you get

Doesn't always happen right away but more frequently when the wifi connection is being used. HTC definitely has some bugs with the Sensation. Hopefully they'll be addressed sooner rather than later.

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Runs fine over here. Sure its not your connection? Or do you have the wifi sleep policy set to something other than "Never"?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G

nox

Retired Super Moderator
Jan 15, 2010
www.AndroidCentral.com
Could explain why it would drop, the test (2nd test) would be running off of 3G/4G as opposed to his wifi.

If its set to sleep, it'll take a bit before it comes out of standby (his WiFi connection).

Everything works fine on my end. Could also be a faulty unit though

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
If his wifi was sleeping, it wouldn't be on and connected, so I doubt that is the problem.

I'm actually reading that phone had an issue with the radio. Apparently people are not getting fast 4G speeds. At work I normally get around 3-4 and barely got 1 today. Anyway, I just spoke to T-Mobile and they are in the process of getting us an OTA update. The issue is with the radio. They are working on an update to address the lack of a 3G indicator and data stalling and slow data speeds. Hopefully we get this soon. According to the XDA forums, I'm not the only one with Wifi issues. Its the radio/latency bands in the phone. So everyone call in to T-Mobile if you experience unusually slow data speeds.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Could explain why it would drop, the test (2nd test) would be running off of 3G/4G as opposed to his wifi.

If its set to sleep, it'll take a bit before it comes out of standby (his WiFi connection).

Everything works fine on my end. Could also be a faulty unit though

No, the phone is on for several minutes showing the wifi indicator. I am then running a speedtest and getting like .85mbps on wifi.

mobilehavoc

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have this same problem. I hope they fix it soon. The easiest way to fix is to toggle WiFi and that does the trick. Can't figure a way to fix it.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have this same problem. I hope they fix it soon. The easiest way to fix is to toggle WiFi and that does the trick. Can't figure a way to fix it.

Thanks for confirming that. I was beginning to think I had a defective unit. Don't worry, we're getting an update very soon according to T-Mobile. But please call in and report this issue immediately. Call tonight and ask for the technical department if you can.

EDIT: I did try this fix and it didn't help.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1118017

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually reading that phone had an issue with the radio. Apparently people are not getting fast 4G speeds. At work I normally get around 3-4 and barely got 1 today. Anyway, I just spoke to T-Mobile and they are in the process of getting us an OTA update. The issue is with the radio. They are working on an update to address the lack of a 3G indicator and data stalling and slow data speeds. Hopefully we get this soon. According to the XDA forums, I'm not the only one with Wifi issues. Its the radio/latency bands in the phone. So everyone call in to T-Mobile if you experience unusually slow data speeds.

You were fed a line if they told you that we would be getting a 3G indicator. It isn't possible for us to get one and a 4G one as well. (the technologies are the same, so the software would have no idea which one you're connected to)

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
You were fed a line if they told you that we would be getting a 3G indicator. It isn't possible for us to get one and a 4G one as well. (the technologies are the same, so the software would have no idea which one you're connected to)

Perhaps, but it was mentioned in the included report. Something about customers not having a way to differentiate their 3G/4G connection.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps, but it was mentioned in the included report. Something about customers not having a way to differentiate their 3G/4G connection.

That's because there isn't a difference that the phone can tell. The signal is the same to it. The only difference is that one is significantly faster.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Speedtest is known to be faulty, use Speakeay. I do not have this problem.

Using Xtremelabs I get the same. It's like the wifi connection is timing out. Those saying they are not experiencing this issue are you running speedtests periodically. I am noticing my wifi speeds greatly fluctuating.

9:46pm 12.64 down, 3.55up
10:04pm 14.53 down, 2.67 up
10:08pm 0.77 down, 2.72 up

Of course, if I turn off wifi then turn it back on my speeds are normal until about 10 minutes later.

If it makes any difference, I'm using a Netgear Router.

Last edited:

FocusFreak

Banned
May 8, 2011
Visit site
I just ran 3 speakeasy tests five minutes apart. First was 12+Mbps down, next was almost 7 and the last was nearly 11Mbps. Signals flectuate, not a big deal. I think these speed tests are dumb anyways. My Nexus would always get a much higher number running next to the Sensation but the Sensation would open websites faster. No way a phone getting a 1.5Mbps speed test should be running faster than one getting 8+ but it did and consistently. Those tests are useless IMO.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I just ran 3 speakeasy tests five minutes apart. First was 12+Mbps down, next was almost 7 and the last was nearly 11Mbps. Signals flectuate, not a big deal. I think these speed tests are dumb anyways. My Nexus would always get a much higher number running next to the Sensation but the Sensation would open websites faster. No way a phone getting a 1.5Mbps speed test should be running faster than one getting 8+ but it did and consistently. Those tests are useless IMO.

I was thinking the same thing. I was just concerned my phone was defective and want to make sure I get other's opinions before my 14 days is up ya know? Each speed test I do now, it goes to 2mbps and then decreases, which always gives me a speed between 0.75-.85mbps. Web pages and everything open very quickly. However, I downloaded Angry birds and that downloaded very slow until I shut wifi off then turned it back on. At least for me, there is an issue with wi-fi connectivity. Only one other guy reported this issue on this thread, so does that mean my device and his are defective?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I have this same issue.
When you did your tests were they all done with the phone in the same position?

I noticed a big difference with one test when it was laying flat on a couch, and as soon as I picked it up the phone snapped back into it and went back to normal.

Those RF windows on the back are there for a reason, so how you're doing it will make a huge difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38