Battery Drains Over Night?

brettnussb

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the Nexus S yesterday and love it over my blackberry. I am not the one to charge my phone every single night before I go to be and went to sleep last night with my battery around 70-80% (I was streaming music the whole day at work and it drained 20% of my battery, so I don't think I have bad battery), I woke up this morning and it was almost dead and at like 5%. Could anyone help what could cause my battery to drain that quickly in 8 hours without any use?

I have downloaded the Advanced Task Killer and kill all Apps everytime I put my phone away. However, after a few seconds a selected number of apps re-appear. Could this be causing the drainage?

The apps that continually show up (and I havent even opened any of the Google ones myself) are:

Advanced Task Killer
Facebook
Voice Dialer
Syncmypix
Maps
Google Search
Market
ScoreCenter
Music
Gmails

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Delete that task killer, everyone in the forums will tell you the same thing. Delete the task killer then see how things go.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Agree on the Task Killer. Get rid of it.

The apps you keep seeing startup are normal; and that's part of the problem. A task in the background doing nothing will not kill your battery. However, a task killer that kills it only to have the app have to restart itself will.

The only three apps in the list I'd be suspicious of are SyncMyPix, ScoreCenter, and Facebook. I haven't used facebook in a while. But when I did, I discovered if I used "Chat" it will kill my battery fast! So either make sure you log out of Chat when you're done with it, or Log out of the Facebook app completely.

For the SyncMyApps and ScoreCenter, if there are any settings for how often they sync, set it to the maximum you can live with. Hopefully, they are written to actually sleep in between their sync intervals.

However, before worrying too much about the apps above, let's answer these questions first:
1.) What version of Android are you running?
1a.) Stock or custom ROM?
2.) What does the "Battery Use" screen say? (Settings/About Phone/ Battery Use)

Let's start with those and work our way from there.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the others get rid of Advanced Task Killer, android 2.3 can handle apps well and there is a built in app manager in 2.3.

e30ernest

Nov 23, 2010
www.bmwe30cc.org
Delete the task killer. :D

Oh and disable Google Latitude if you are using it. That app is one battery hog! Just click on the Latitude icon, press menu, then sign out of latitude. With Latitude I got as low as 8 hours of battery life on a full charge. With it disabled, I am now getting 17 hours with moderate use.

Also, check the battery usage feature. It can give you really good information on which applications are eating your battery.