Android 4.4 OS update complaints

FastArrow80

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
This is my first post, regarding my Galaxy S4;
This is a list of issues I'm having regarding the above subject;
1) Stops from my alarms from working
2) "Optimized" (uninstalled is what actually happened!) some of my applications. Shouldn't my permission be sought before arbitrarily dining something like that?
3) When I click the unlock screen button on the right side of my phone, the home screen now takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to appear. Sometimes it DOESN'T appear and I'm forced to remove and replace the battery because simply trying to restart it won't work either because again, the screen is still black!
4) When I reinstalled the apps that 4.4 removed, some of them failed to work properly. For example, I have an app called Battery Notifier. In this appi can configure ringtones of my choice to sound off when my battery is fully charged and when it's low on juice. That was before 4.4. Afterwards, that app, through no fault of its own, is now taking up useful space. Another app, Go SMS Pro, used to allow me to forward text messages with pictures from my phone's photo gallery, doesn't do that anymore either. I now get a message saying "Can't save message." I wasn't trying to SAVE the message, I was trying to FORWARD it!
5) Another issue is that I tap an app to open it, or if I'm in an app, and tap a function within that same application, the screen freezes, nothing happens! Obviously that's quite annoying! That never happened before 4.4
6) Also, every time I now open Go SMS Pro, I see a message saying that the default messaging app will be changed to Go SMS Pro, and underneath that is a dialog box with No then Yes. I have to click Yes to open Go SMS Pro EVERY SINGLE TIME! This is so frustrating and annoying.
7) I also noticed that the volume is not as loud as it used to be. It basically sounds like the phone is whispering, and this is on maximum!
8) When I'm typing an email, the cursor jumps from where I was writing to the bottom of the page. You can't imagine how annoying that is when you're on a roll with a train of thought, and the cursor just decides to abandon ship if you will.
9) I have another app called BeepHourly. It's basic function is to sound off every hour using the ringtone of my choice to alert me when it's 1 o'clock, then 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc., etc. Well now the app only vibrates my phone each hour. I tried to activate the ringtone I was using before, but my phone just won't cooperate.
These are all the problems I could find so far, but I'm sure there's a legion of problems, annoyances, and nuisances waiting for me to discover them! All because it appears Google/Android didn't bother to thoroughly and completely test the 4.4.2 Kit Kat update before releasing it! Someone has to be held accountable for a screw up of this magnitude! I shouldn't have to be fighting every day with my phone just to get it to operate like it was BEFORE this nonsensical joke of an update!
By the way, for future reference, does anyone know if there's a way to either be somehow notified when the next update is available, and also where I can go to find out EVERYTHING I can about them, BOTH good and bad, so I can make an informed decision as to whether I want to download that update please?

Thank you:mad::banghead:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

masc69

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Wow. I have none of these issues. Im thinking something might be up with your phone. As far as the app problems, maybe the apps aren't compatible with KitKat yet. Maybe factory reset will fix the issues?

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it's TMo fiddling with the code, have you noticed the plethora of TMo people with all the same complaints?

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

dougc405

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Google removed the api that gave apps access to battery info, which probably explains why your battery app stopped working.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

FastArrow80

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
OK so does anybody have an answer for my question about update notifications and learning everything I need to know about them?

dllebandroid

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
This is my first post, regarding my Galaxy S4;
This is a list of issues I'm having regarding the above subject;
1) Stops from my alarms from working
2) "Optimized" (uninstalled is what actually happened!) some of my applications. Shouldn't my permission be sought before arbitrarily dining something like that?
3) When I click the unlock screen button on the right side of my phone, the home screen now takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to appear. Sometimes it DOESN'T appear and I'm forced to remove and replace the battery because simply trying to restart it won't work either because again, the screen is still black!
4) When I reinstalled the apps that 4.4 removed, some of them failed to work properly. For example, I have an app called Battery Notifier. In this appi can configure ringtones of my choice to sound off when my battery is fully charged and when it's low on juice. That was before 4.4. Afterwards, that app, through no fault of its own, is now taking up useful space. Another app, Go SMS Pro, used to allow me to forward text messages with pictures from my phone's photo gallery, doesn't do that anymore either. I now get a message saying "Can't save message." I wasn't trying to SAVE the message, I was trying to FORWARD it!
5) Another issue is that I tap an app to open it, or if I'm in an app, and tap a function within that same application, the screen freezes, nothing happens! Obviously that's quite annoying! That never happened before 4.4
6) Also, every time I now open Go SMS Pro, I see a message saying that the default messaging app will be changed to Go SMS Pro, and underneath that is a dialog box with No then Yes. I have to click Yes to open Go SMS Pro EVERY SINGLE TIME! This is so frustrating and annoying.
7) I also noticed that the volume is not as loud as it used to be. It basically sounds like the phone is whispering, and this is on maximum!
8) When I'm typing an email, the cursor jumps from where I was writing to the bottom of the page. You can't imagine how annoying that is when you're on a roll with a train of thought, and the cursor just decides to abandon ship if you will.
9) I have another app called BeepHourly. It's basic function is to sound off every hour using the ringtone of my choice to alert me when it's 1 o'clock, then 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc., etc. Well now the app only vibrates my phone each hour. I tried to activate the ringtone I was using before, but my phone just won't cooperate.
These are all the problems I could find so far, but I'm sure there's a legion of problems, annoyances, and nuisances waiting for me to discover them! All because it appears Google/Android didn't bother to thoroughly and completely test the 4.4.2 Kit Kat update before releasing it! Someone has to be held accountable for a screw up of this magnitude! I shouldn't have to be fighting every day with my phone just to get it to operate like it was BEFORE this nonsensical joke of an update!
By the way, for future reference, does anyone know if there's a way to either be somehow notified when the next update is available, and also where I can go to find out EVERYTHING I can about them, BOTH good and bad, so I can make an informed decision as to whether I want to download that update please?

Thank you:mad::banghead:

I have a sprint galaxy s4 and i had some of your problems with an addition to "android system" and "android os" killing my battery. I ended up factory resetting my phone and it fixed most of my problems minus the battery drain. Galaxy s4 users from other carriers have the same battery drain issue. do you have that issue? You'll know if you have the drainage if "android system" is in the double digits in the battery stats in settings on your phone. you said that you have apps that disappeared after the update. just restart your phone and you will see them pop back up on your phone.

bga123

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
For me the battery drain occurs right after unplugging after an overnight charge. The runaway process is the the android.process.media. When this happens it drains about 1% per minute. I believe from other threads I've read its a result of scanning media on my external SD card. I can stop the drain by going to the application manager scroll down to "Downloads" and force stop the process.

LFBaldwin

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I am finding many of the same problems. For me the most annoying one is that when I customize my message ringtone, it is reset to default within the hour. Very Big-Brother! It's also using battery far, far faster than it was. I can't download email when off Wi-Fi, even though I have turned the Mobile Data back on. So many annoying quirks I am seriously regretting the purchase of this phone!

FastArrow80

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey bag 123,
Where do you see "Downloads" under the Application Manager? I went to "More", where I then saw Application Manager, but not Downloads

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I play "Dumb Ways To Die" on my S4.
Before the update the section with the airplane man, where you had to blow on the speaker worked...but after the update, I blow on all of my speakers and it doesn't seem to recognize the sound or something. That section always kills me...when usually I can blow right past it (ahaha! bad joke!)

Also, did y'all ever have an issue where you don't have data during a call? Before the update, one time making a call cut off my WiFi and data and I had to toggle WiFi back on in order to have it on. After the update (new phone; replaced by T-Mobile) I still don't have data during a call. I changed my sim card as well.

Besides that issue, all of my other issues (listed on my post: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-mobile-samsung-galaxy-s4/378111-data-issues-s4-before-after-4-4-2-update.html) seem to have been fixed...but I would still like feedback, if possible.

kronkel

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I just updated my phone, and Google Play is no longer supported.....ummmmmm
Oh yeah, all of my apps are gone, but like 4.

Help????????????????????????

cea mobile nations

May 13, 2014
Visit site
my wife and i each have an m8. our cursors were jumping all over the screen too. very frustrating. found out that for us if we remove the cases we bought for them over the internet the cursor behaves just fine. we each have different cases too.

Last edited:

alwelder

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The 4.4 OS update has combined the location and GPS as one. That does not work with some apps, mostly my GolfLogix app. The Golf Logix app requires that you turn off Location service, but leave the GPS on. With these two combined that is not possible. Is there anyway to separate these two settings?

Milehigh

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a complaint, when I make a phone call, the contact screen comes up with the options for like hanging up etc... before the last update you could see that screen which would "blank" on proximity to your cheek, and re-awaken when you removed it.

Now, it blanks immediately on beginning the dialing sequence, and you have to hit the home screen button (or power) to wake it up. Somehow, the update seems to have screwed up the prox sensor... anyone else have this issue?

wolfman7828

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had that issue. Do you have a case on your phone? If so try removing it and see if still happens.

Posted via Android Central App

Mike Jones37

May 18, 2015
Visit site
This is bad my galaxy s4 is freezing since you sent me a update yesterday . I would grateful you would sort this update out .and send me a update that works properly on my phone with out freezing up all the time

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95