Will eBay Galaxy S work with Tmobile 3G in the US?

sfsilicon

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm seeing a couple of non US Galaxy S's on eBay. These have the front camera and are called "New Samsung I9000 Galaxy S 8G Unlocked Black Andriod". Will these work with the 3G bands of Tmobile in the US? Which bands are those?

3G Tri-Band 900/1900/2100MHz?

I'm off contract and thinking of upgrading to the Vibrant. I have a family plan I want to keep, but only want to pay for one data plan (business expense) which I'm currently using for my G1. I'm debating getting a second Vibrant for my wife (where is that BOGO link?) or buying a full priced phone (or the above eBay one) which I'll use with WiFi.

rc3ilynt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
No, the IS9000 will not work on t-mobile's 3g as it doesn't have T-mobile's AWS band. However, AT&T does operate in 1900MHz 3G in some locations but even then a majority of it's 3G is 850MHz.

sfsilicon

May 18, 2010
Visit site
No, the IS9000 will not work on t-mobile's 3g as it doesn't have T-mobile's AWS band. However, AT&T does operate in 1900MHz 3G in some locations but even then a majority of it's 3G is 850MHz.

Thanks for the response. What is T-mobile's AWS band? -> UMTS 1700?

I thought Tmobile's 3G bands were 1700 and 2100. So I was guessing the 2100 band would work with the SGS i9000?

sfsilicon

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response. What is T-mobile's AWS band? -> UMTS 1700?

I thought Tmobile's 3G bands were 1700 and 2100. So I was guessing the 2100 band would work with the SGS i9000?

Found a very detailed answer to the AWS band question here.

The take away is that Tmobile's AWS is incompatible with UMTS 2100 because even though AWS has roughly the same receive frequencies as UMTS 2100 it has different transmit frequencies.

Venpacasa

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
hey im confused and need help, my cousin got a samsung galaxy S as a gift from some one that thought the phone was too complicated which was nice but the problem is the guy had it on AT&T and my cousin has T-mobile... The phone works great it make and receives calls and has data access and everything BUT its only on edge.... i have looked everywhere for him trying to find out how to get it to connect to 3G. can anyone help me please his phone is awesome and we both know it can be that much better with the speeds of 3g so if anyone can give me a reply it would be GREATLY appreciated! thx in advance guys!

ps its rooted already

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the post above answers your question. The galaxy s doesn't get 3g on t-mobile. Only the vibrant does because of its unique 3g bands.

Venpacasa

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
aww man i guess my cousin is assed out! even if the phone is an unlocked one? it doesnt have an att logo nor does it have a tmobile logo it looks like and unlocked one.... oh well let me go tell my cuz the bad news :( thx for the reply tho

Venpacasa

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
okay so another ?tion cuz im a total noob when it comes to andriods and the galaxy s.... ok so we found out he can update to 2.2 froyo so we tried a few times using a step by step guide using kies that we found online (xda) but kies wouldn't recognize his phone and his fone would show the USB the go black then his desktop (home screen) would show up for a split second then the USB again then did the same thing indefinitely.... so if anyone can just post a link or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated :) thx in advance n sorry for my noobie-ness

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty