Can't see I'm on 4g??

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I'm just trying out T Mobile on pre paid 4g. I am using a Galaxy Nexus I had on AT&T my phone sits on 3g all the time, but when I access the browser or check my email the H appears. Is this normal for T Mobile? I can never get to the settings>status quick enough to see what H speed is at. I'm assuming I'm on 4g when I'm using data as my phone performs just as fast, if not faster, then when I have my AT&T sim card in it. Anyone else know if this is correct, or have the same experience?

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If your speeds are good I wouldn't worry about it, but if you have to know you should be able to see what type of network you're connected to under Settings -> About phone -> Status.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Stock ROM will only show H. Some custom ROM do show the actual network the phone is using real time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If your speeds are good I wouldn't worry about it, but if you have to know you should be able to see what type of network you're connected to under Settings -> About phone -> Status.

Hello thanks, under ?status" whenever I check it it says UMTS 3, which I understand to be 3g, but in the upper status bar when the phone is ldle it also has a 3G, BUT when I check my email or go on the internet, on the status bar it turns into H. I assume that T Mobile sits in 3 G until you access a program that requires data, then it kicks in. Just never saw this on AT&T, when it said 3g on AT&T you were definitely only getting 3g. Either way after my first week with T Mobile, I'm very happy with their service. The only test left for me is to see how the service is when I travel across the state of Florida for work, if that goes well, it's Goodbye AT&T.

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile with a gnex too. I was using the stock ROM and seeing the same behavior.

Last night I changed to CM10 and the behavior is the same except now when it switches to "H" it shows it as "H+".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2