T-Mobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tmobile buying block A spectrum from Verizon

I decided to Google it, since I must have missed the announcement that AT&T was interested in interoperability.
AT&T does an about-face, will support 700 MHz interoperability - FierceWireless
Of course, now with the AT&T/Leap deal almost a done deal I have to wonder if AT&T will hold on to Leap's A blocks just to spite T-Mobile.

Actually, it makes sense for att to hold onto leap's block a, since att only has 5x5 b17 in Chicago. If they get block a in Chicago, they can have 10x10 b12 in Chicago, and even for b17 users, part of the load would move to b12, similar to how on Verizon, b4 deployment increased speeds of b13.

I don't think that it is a surprise to see att supporting b12 just a few months after mentioning their desire to bit leap

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

Interestingly enough, Neal Gompa just mentioned that part of the Leap/AT&T deal requires them to sell their A block assets (and give the money to the shareholders), so T-Mobile does have a shot at picking those up. I'm just hoping they can get the other A block licenses from the regional carriers (either through sale or mergers).

Jay Holm

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

Has the deal for the 700-A block actually closed yet? I'm wondering if there's a realistic possibility the Galaxy S5 will have support for 700 A block band 12. . .I certainly hope it will, so it will be future proof!

Posted using Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy S4 T-Mobile

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Has the deal for the 700-A block actually closed yet? I'm wondering if there's a realistic possibility the Galaxy S5 will have support for 700 A block band 12. . .I certainly hope it will, so it will be future proof!

Possible but doubtful. The fcc is expected to approve the deal in mid 2014.

For reference, the fcc approved Verizon's aws purchase in mid 2012 and the first Verizon aws devices started to roll out in early /mid 2013

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

I don't think a deal is really required for a manufacturer to put bands in. If they think there's a reasonable chance the band will get used, they'll put it in. And even if TMO doesn't close this deal, AT&T has something in the works with band 12. Other examples: LTE bands 2 and 5 have been in AT&T despite large scale refarming, and I think even Verizon phones have had band 4 preceding a widespread rollout.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I don't think a deal is really required for a manufacturer to put bands in. If they think there's a reasonable chance the band will get used, they'll put it in. And even if TMO doesn't close this deal, AT&T has something in the works with band 12. Other examples: LTE bands 2 and 5 have been in AT&T despite large scale refarming, and I think even Verizon phones have had band 4 preceding a widespread rollout.

It probably depends on how likely tmobile thought that they could get b12 spectrum. Even though the deal just announced, it could have been in the works for some time now, who knows.

Verizon has had some aws spectrum since 2008, and also had b17 and b12 for a long time. So just because they acquire spectrum doesn't mean that they will use it, though in this case, tmobile would most likely use it as soon as possible.

Just pointing out that the s5,while possible, seems kinda soon for b12 support, but who knows, this could have been in the works since 2012 when tmobile opposed Verizon acquisition of aws from the cable companies. Interesting though that tmobile called block a less desirable yet they decide to get it from Verizon anyway.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/23/t-mobile-ceo-argues-against-verizon-aws-acquisition/

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

(Off topic,) dpham00 or anybody else-do you guys know of an app that will show which bands are available on device, kinda like this BB10 app does?

Signal.png

Also, is there an app that tells you which band you are parked on? The ServiceMode dialer code I can access on my S3 doesn't seem to be universal. Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

No band 12 on the s5uploadfromtaptalk1394227422393.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana