When throttled, how slow is it

memphislawyer

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I signed up for tmobile three days or so ago. I was on Sprint, with a 3g phone, and Iphone 4. Sometimes it took a few seconds for pages to load. Not with tmobile, i can tell the difference on my HTC One 8. So, I got the 1 gig plan since I only once went over 1 gig, and I figure if I went over, it would only be a few days or so, maybe a week max, and then I would only be slowed down. How slow will it go? Will it still be faster than my 3g Iphone 4 was on Sprint?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It will slow down to 2g speeds. About 0.3 down slow... It sucks but better than overages (and you can always up the data plan if needed).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
0.3Mbps would be great and would be realistic 2G speeds. In reality my wife saw 0.05Mbps (50kbps) when she went over her cap. It was essentially unusable.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it depends sometimes. I've seen some get decent and others get nothing. It's a gamble.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean?

Sorry, should have quoted the specific section.

Do certain plans have differences in data speed reduction?
Yes. If you have a plan that was available between November 13, 2010 and March 24, 2013, data speed is reduced to (at most) 50 kbps (comparable to dial-up) when data usage exceeds the Data Speed Reduction Threshold for data features. Mobile Internet and data-only plan customers that reach this threshold have their speed reduced to 100 kbps.

If you have a plan that was available after March 24, 2013, data speed is reduced to (at most) 128 kbps when data usage exceeds the Data Speed Reduction Threshold for data features, Mobile Internet, and data-only plans.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, should have quoted the specific section.

Do certain plans have differences in data speed reduction?
Yes. If you have a plan that was available between November 13, 2010 and March 24, 2013, data speed is reduced to (at most) 50 kbps (comparable to dial-up) when data usage exceeds the Data Speed Reduction Threshold for data features. Mobile Internet and data-only plan customers that reach this threshold have their speed reduced to 100 kbps.

If you have a plan that was available after March 24, 2013, data speed is reduced to (at most) 128 kbps when data usage exceeds the Data Speed Reduction Threshold for data features, Mobile Internet, and data-only plans.

Ah okay that makes sense :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress