What would be the next Uncarrier move be, if you were John Legere?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Go truly Uncarrier:

-Allow any capable device (whether it's TMO branded or not) to partake in WiFi calling, voLTE, and that Gogo promotion.

-Allow Isis SIMs to work in non-TMO models of current qualifying phones.

-Allow Google Wallet's payment option to work.

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Up the data allowance while roaming. I know it costs $ for them, but it's the one thing that keeps me from recommending tmo to everyone I know.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Up the data allowance while roaming. I know it costs $ for them, but it's the one thing that keeps me from recommending tmo to everyone I know.

I would like this. I don't see that happening with other companies jacking up the rates they charge t mobile. There is no way they could afford it.

Sent using my iPhone 5S via The Uncarrier

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Go truly Uncarrier:

-Allow any capable device (whether it's TMO branded or not) to partake in WiFi calling, voLTE, and that Gogo promotion.

-Allow Isis SIMs to work in non-TMO models of current qualifying phones.

-Allow Google Wallet's payment option to work.

As much as I want them to do something with wifi calling with non branded phones, I think it would be too much work for T-Mobile. They would have to make sure it Is compatible and works properly with way too many phones and then have to support any issues that arise. It's just too much of an investment to make it worth while. Non Branded phones only make up a small portion of their customer base.

Isis is now called softcard.

What do you mean when talking about Google wallets? Are you referring to non branded phones again?

Sent using my iPhone 5S via The Uncarrier

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
As much as I want them to do something with wifi calling with non branded phones, I think it would be too much work for T-Mobile. snip Non Branded phones only make up a small portion of their customer base.

I agree it would be more work, but IMHO not as much as you'd think. As you also point out, how many people bring non-branded 1700/1900 phones to TMO to use (that aren't iPhones) in the first place? Plus, how radically different are the IMS/WiFi calling menu and more importantly, the back end support that can be provided going to be in a TMO S5 vs. an AT&T S5, or a BlackBerry Z10 (once carried and apparently still supported) vs. a BlackBerry Z30 (never carried?)

Besides, in the past, hasn't TMO fielded support for phones/OSes they didn't carry--like the iPhone 4s?

Isis is now called softcard.

I know. Name doesn't matter, what matters is that TMO, in a total Carrier move, has chosen to allow their Isis/Softcard SIM cards to only work on their branded phones. Besides wanting to sell more phones, what could be the possible reason for this?

What do you mean when talking about Google wallets? Are you referring to non branded phones again?

No, I'm not. TMO has chosen to block certain key features of Google Wallet, likely in support of Isis/Softcard--which TMO is 1/3 the backer of.

It looks like TMO may be supporting GW tap and pay now. My information was outdated.

Last edited:

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
It's very simple and they would get customers hand over fist 3 little words i would like to see who can figure it out first then I will say

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
True root support

A very low percentage of android users actually root their phones. I can't find any statistics but I have not met another person who has a rooted Android phone outside of the two people who I rooted their phones for them, and that's including many people I know who have the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. They are not going to get customers "hand over fist" by supporting root.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
How about wifi calling and volte to all android L phones and not just nexus 6:

unlocked moto phones, GPE phones, nexus 5, one+ etc. etc.

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Well what i mean is what if you buy a new phone and you they ask you are you going to root it if so Here is a suggestion for you we now offer insurance that covers for root or something like that or if you bring your device that is rooted they actually look at your phone and see if it's hardware or software problem and or letting you know that a device that has root access things of that nature

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Well what i mean is what if you buy a new phone and you they ask you are you going to root it if so Here is a suggestion for you we now offer insurance that covers for root or something like that or if you bring your device that is rooted they actually look at your phone and see if it's hardware or software problem and or letting you know that a device that has root access things of that nature

It would be great, but unfortunately it would be far too difficult to train your average cell phone store employee to accurately identify if an issue was caused by root or not. Either way, my point stands that there are few enough people who root their devices that it's not going to be a huge selling point of the network.

Anyway, my next "uncarrier" move would be to stop providing cellphone service. That's the only way to stop people from complaining about you doing "carrier" things.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I can't see that happening. They aren't going to insure a device that is rooted since someone could get it.. Root it.. Then overclock and fry it. Completely the users fault.