Switching form Verizon / Phone turn-in

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm completely shocked right now.

I spoke with Tmobile and they said that I can move over and they'll pay off my Edgre agreement for my Droid Turbo. But they said I can turn in ANY phone...it doesn't HAVE to be my Droid Turbo.

Is that right? It can't be. That's ridiculous!

Anyways, I figured I could turn an old S3 that's laying around doing nothing. Meanwhile, once they pay off my edge agreement if I had any issues with Tmobile I could then switch to Project Fi. Again, if that doesn't work out I'm still good to go because I'd still have my Droid Turbo and Nexus 6 to take with me back to Verizon. Maybe even sell one of them and come out ahead?

I swear this can't be right...let me call my local Tmobile store and confirm. I'll be switching tonight I think :)

EDIT: Sorry about the thread title. Was just excited. Fix that mods?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1) Maybe -- I know you used to be able to do that when paying off contracts .. As for the edge payments they know what phone they're paying off so I am not sure if this will work.

2) In order to have the phone paid off you must purchase a new phone on their payment plan (like edge).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Like Almeuit said above, I am pretty sure that you need to trade in the phone on the edge plan. Also they will only pay up to $650

Now if you got the phone on contract then you can get any phone.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I just called the store. They said they'd pay off my remaining edge balance of ~$500 and accept my galaxy S3. They stated I could keep my Droid Turbo. I plan on porting my number and buying Nexus 6. So all seems good!

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
You must trade in the phone that you are paying monthly for and it can't be damaged.

What are the reimbursement requirements for my device payment plan?
A customer must switch from a postpaid plan with another domestic carrier and port their current numbers to T-Mobile. The customer will need to trade in an eligible smartphone or tablet and purchase a new device with T-Mobile on a qualifying postpaid Simple Choice™ plan. T-Mobile prepaid or Simple Choice Plan with no credit check are not eligible. For device payment plan reimbursement the device with the associated balance must be the device traded-in and the payment plan must be in good standing (your payments must be current). For family plans, all lines must be activated in the same T-Mobile market with the same billing address. There’s one offer available per line, up to 10 lines.

Source:http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch-carriers-no-early-termination-fee.html

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge via the Uncarrier

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure to get them to show you the terms explicitly stating this or if not have them give it to you in writing

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Just make sure to get them to show you the terms explicitly stating this or if not have them give it to you in writing

You're absolutely right. I decided to put it off a day before I go to the store.

One nice thing about not dealing with trade in of a phone is it takes a couple months to reflect on your bill. Since I won't be doing that I'm going to see if they'll price match Google play store for an outright purchase. It would be the same as paying off my droid turbo.

Worst case scenario is that I try them out, get a phone out of it and can edge up anytime I want when I'm back on Verizon... Plus both phones work great on vzw. I'll probably move to protect fi before I go back to vzw though

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
You're absolutely right. I decided to put it off a day before I go to the store.

One nice thing about not dealing with trade in of a phone is it takes a couple months to reflect on your bill. Since I won't be doing that I'm going to see if they'll price match Google play store for an outright purchase. It would be the same as paying off my droid turbo.

Worst case scenario is that I try them out, get a phone out of it and can edge up anytime I want when I'm back on Verizon... Plus both phones work great on vzw. I'll probably move to protect fi before I go back to vzw though
They don't price match.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
They don't price match.

I appreciate the heads up. I finally found all the details. The problem is that every salesperson I've spoken to is confusing aspects of the "uncarrier" initiative with "never settle for Verizon".

The difference is that uncarrier only covers $350 towards ETF and $300 total towards equipment. You can trade any phone. That trade value is given to you on the spot and your final bill covers ETF and equipment (minus trade in value) up the posted maximums above.

Never settle for Verizon covers up to $650 for equipment. There is no trade in value since you keep your Verizon equipment through the 14 day trial period. The phone is sent in along with your final bill to cover a maximum of $650 per line that you're switching(doesn't matter if that's ETF, equipment, or both). They match the eisn of the phone to the edge agreement. If the phone and agreement don't match they won't provide reimbursement for equipment.