How can I fully disable DNS hijacking on t-mobile?

gaelicWizard

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I switched to T-Mobile last week and lost my [language removed] today when I followed a joke link to tinder.gov and ended up at a T-Mobile "search" page. The feature appears to call itself DNS Navigation Assist and may be operated by a subcontractor. The "opt-out" just sets a cookie so that the "search" page shows a 404 error instead of "search" results.

How do I escape this hell? Do I have to switch carriers twice in two week? Is there a APN trick I can do to get a real opt-out? I'd prefer not to root or jailbreak my device. I have eight devices on my account.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen on any browser you use? Try going to Settings>Apps>All, select your browser, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now see if it happens again. If you use Chrome, make sure to Clear Browsing History from the beginning of time on your desktop Chrome as well, since it may have synced there from the mobile Chrome browser.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The 404 page is the best you can do.

Rooting and then manually changing the DNS may work. However, if restarts change it back and you don't want to have to change the DNS after every reboot, look into if this can be automated.

This shouldn't require rooting your phone though. Shame on TMO for this Comcast-like BS.

gaelicWizard

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Before rooting, I might give this a try (not even sure if it's possible): add a VPN just for the IP of the T-Mobile DNS server that goes to a server I control and iptables it to just hit Google DNS or something.

Anyone familiar with APN settings to know if there's a way to set the DNS without rooting?

Or, switch to Ting.

I was so happy leaving AT&T and of course it was too good to be true. 😭

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Ting is an MVNO for both TMO and Sprint. I doubt getting TMO service through Ting would change anything. Not sure about Sprint.