question on updates on an unlocked note 3

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
So I got my note 3 unlocked by att after paying in full..

Shouldn't that mean I should get updates at the same time as say, an international version that comes factory unlocked?

I can use any sim on it but the att logo still appears on start up..

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, because the phone is still AT&T branded. Only if you replace the OS with the image from an international version would you then be able to get the international version updates. In your case, your phone will only get AT&T's updates, just as before, with the added bonus of being able to use any carrier SIM in it as long as it supports the right frequencies.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Sorry if it's not the answer you were hoping for, but that's the it is.

PS: If you do go the root/replace OS route, remember that these devices have a flash counter that, as far as I know, cannot be bypassed or reset, and that basically 'kills' OTA updates (or Kies ones, for that matter). You'd have to manually update by flashing an upgraded OS ROM.

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah you would think the carriers would leave you alone once you pay the full price which itself is already 200$ more than an unlocked version that sells online, but no..

That's what ticks me off.
I am not going to flash the OS cause I don't know squat about that and don't want to. .

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They do leave you alone since you can use this on any carrier and can switch at any time, so that's what you're paying extra for. But the phone remains a specific, carrier-branded model, so the updates come directly from the carrier. Now, if you had gotten a 'Developer Edition' one, then the updates come directly from Google (OK, it doesn't come directly from Google, it's actually through Samsung, but it gets there much faster than regular for Notes). If you get a factory-unlocked unit, then the updates come directly from Samsung and vary by region.

Also, sometimes, just sometimes, carrier updates happen before the international version depending on the region. For instance, for my old S4, I kept waiting for a certain update, thinking 'Oh, I'll get it first because it's factory-unlocked!' only to read that the update had hit AT&T and mine was still not updated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch