Samsung & AT&T Apps - What the hell are they all for?

Reformed IOS User

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
So I am a first time android user and just picked up my S$
Previously had an iPhone.
What are all these pre-installed apps?

Why does it seem like there are multiple messaging apps - email apps - etc...

tat21985

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
These are what is known as "bloatware". Carrier and manufacturer loaded apps, that are generally built into the phone, so they can't be disabled.. BUT, there are ways to make them non-active within your system, such as "freezing", this is for rooted users. Some of them may even have the option for you to disable them within the app manager.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
yes, Apple has protected iOS users from this over the years...for an app that you cannot uninstall, you should be able to disable it. In settings go to apps, then to the all tab usually over to the right to see all of the apps on the device not just the ones you download. Go to bloatware apps from ATT or Samsung, open it and hit disable. It should stay disabled, not show up in the app drawer or get updates while disabled.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Short and sweet, to take up space on your phone (as long as you stay with a carrier branded device, it will always be so).

The international version only comes with samsung apps, no carrier apps.

My advice root and uninstall them with tb (if you know what you are doing). The galaxy line is notoriously easy to root, even if you have a locked bootloader.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I already hid all the AT&T apps

Which installed app should I be using for messaging?

What's the difference between:
Talk
ChatOn
Messaging

Talk is a Google app I believe(used for g+) , and chat on is a samsung app, never used it but I believe it let's you talk to other people who have samsung accounts.

The messaging app is for normal text mesaaging.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Most of the rom is Samsung files. The carrier size of the total image is in comparison not very big. Samsung went gorilla with the S4 rom and makes the 16gb seem inadequate for storage. Even some reviews are picking up on this.

Carrier response is to "just install the apps to a sd card".

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Talk is Google's version of Facetime. You can IM or voice chat with this app. If you have friends and family that are using an iOS device they can download VTok. This will allow you to voice chat for free. It's not a great app, but it works the majority of the time.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Most of the rom is Samsung files. The carrier size of the total image is in comparison not very big. Samsung went gorilla with the S4 rom and makes the 16gb seem inadequate for storage. Even some reviews are picking up on this.

Carrier response is to "just install the apps to a sd card".

Lol, I'm guessing they don't know apps2sd has been disabled ever since ics. Talk about stupid.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the carrier branded, OEM skinned world of Android. This is why so many of us get anxious for root. Once we get root, we remove all the redundant and useless crap. If you don't want any of this stuff with rooting, you need a Nexus or a factory unlocked device. Some carriers are worst than others and some OEM skins are more obtrusive as well and everyone attempts to offer their own spin on an application or service. I know plenty of people that use Samsung/HTC devices but know no one that uses any of their services. I mean you have the OEM, the carrier, Amazon, and Google all trying to get you to buy music and movies and you are left with apps from all and then you don't use any because you use iTunes for your content. Pretty sad.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the carrier branded, OEM skinned world of Android. This is why so many of us get anxious for root. Once we get root, we remove all the redundant and useless crap. If you don't want any of this stuff with rooting, you need a Nexus or a factory unlocked device. Some carriers are worst than others and some OEM skins are more obtrusive as well and everyone attempts to offer their own spin on an application or service. I know plenty of people that use Samsung/HTC devices but know no one that uses any of their services. I mean you have the OEM, the carrier, Amazon, and Google all trying to get you to buy music and movies and you are left with apps from all and then you don't use any because you use iTunes for your content. Pretty sad.

+1 for need a Nexus. No bloatware in sight. But it is very easy to get rid of those unwanted apps by disabling them.

Once you get use to the change and you find out how to disable them it won't bother you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Dumber than that, since the Att and Verizon folks are telling customers they can literally install apps to the sd card. Not the apps2sd process of old.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
+1 for need a Nexus. No bloatware in sight. But it is very easy to get rid of those unwanted apps by disabling them.

Once you get use to the change and you find out how to disable them it won't bother you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Yeah agreed. Disabling is fine. I want to remove them altogether.... taking up my storage space LOL. For some apps, disabling does not work as it's not an option so you still have the possibility of dealing with some things. But I agree, that it's good for the processes you can disable if you don't have root.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Can we remove them and reclaim space back, I have read that the space allocated is there regardless of removing bloatware? I certainly want it gone and I want the space back. I am holding out for the 32GB GS4 but will still remove the bloatware. If they don't do it then I will likely wait for the Note 3 which would be when?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Can we remove them and reclaim space back, I have read that the space allocated is there regardless of removing bloatware? I certainly want it gone and I want the space back. I am holding out for the 32GB GS4 but will still remove the bloatware. If they don't do it then I will likely wait for the Note 3 which would be when?

Yes if you root and uninstall you will gain space back. I'm guessing you are referring to the system partition, in that case yes that is preallocated. But removing bloatware will give you space back on your phone.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you can root and use titanium backup to freeze, uninstall or delete bloatware. Be careful! Unless you are going to install custom ROMs and not worry any longer about carrier updates you might consider either disabling them or if you root, freeze or uninstall and back up to your SD card, which reclaims space on your internal partition. Once you delete them they are gone!

If your carrier sends out an OTA update you may not be able to get it if you have deleted some apps. Just make sure you conduct a full backup before removing anything in case you want to return to stock.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I always copy the files I take off to the SD card and store them on the computer for that reason. I wonder how long before we see the kies images for the US.