Official GB Update Working Now

yohannie

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
If you have already downloaded Kies Mini and had been stuck and frustrated at the "Unregistered Device" with the greyed out "Upgrade Software" screen, fret no more.

The big missing piece of the puzzle was the fact that you had to register your device.

Support - AT&T Cell Phones SGH-I997 | Samsung Cell Phones

Register your device now. As of 2/2/11 (midnight), all registered device owners got the Kies Mini to give the upgrade option.

-Edit-

The new theory is that AT&T is rolling out the update in increments to prevent server crashes.

If you want to cut ahead though, you can do so by reverting your phone back to the version before the official OTA update in November by following:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1116251

After you do so, connect Kies Mini and it will show the upgrade button as active.

Last edited:
Reactions: reefrunway

nicoled985

May 15, 2011
Visit site
so since I'm Pacific time do I have to wait until it reaches 12 here? Because mine is still saying unregistered and I've registered but it's only 11:10pm here

MissMariela

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Pictures of some things I noticed were different. In general, it's faster. Gallery used to take forever to load and it loads very quickly now. When sharing a photo, the options load much faster. This is just from me playing with it for about a half hour.

Album: Photo Album - Imgur

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Pictures of some things I noticed were different. In general, it's faster. Gallery used to take forever to load and it loads very quickly now. When sharing a photo, the options load much faster. This is just from me playing with it for about a half hour.

Album: Photo Album - Imgur

Looks good! Thanks for posting those. I'm waiting for Kies to update... taking forever, but I think it's my ISP (Clear sucks).

MissMariela

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
If you have registered your device on the Samsung website and it is still not working, you are having the same problem that many other people seem to be having. Theory is that it seems to have to do with whether you updated before or not. Users that did some update that was available some time ago are having trouble getting Kies to recognize the registered device.

reefrunway

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yay! I Finally have Gingerbread! :cool:

All my apps are still there, all my settings are the same. But I have lost root access. But I think we all knew that would happen.

Going back to bed. Will try superoneclick in the morning and I'll get back to you guys!

(Can't believe the wait is over. Hopefully this'll quench my "I want something new" behavior of late... of pricing the Galaxy Nexus on eBay... ;) )

teslapod

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Kies mini recognizes my phone but says "this phone cannot be upgraded". Do I have to flash back to an earlier version?

MY phone:
Firmware: 2.3.6
Basband: I997UCKJ4
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I997UCKJ4-CL694350
Build number: GINGERBREAD.UCKJ4

yohannie

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Kies mini recognizes my phone but says "this phone cannot be upgraded". Do I have to flash back to an earlier version?

MY phone:
Firmware: 2.3.6
Basband: I997UCKJ4
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-I997UCKJ4-CL694350
Build number: GINGERBREAD.UCKJ4

You're already on Gingerbread. Are you using Rogers (Canada)? If you are, this update is not for you. This is for AT&T customers.

If you are on AT&T and you are on GB because you rooted and installed a custom ROM, follow the edit in the original post.

westshotgun

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Eastern time zone and I registered my device after 12:00 (technically I registered today). It didn't work so I went to bed, and I tried this morning (9:59 AM right now) and still saying unregistered device. Maybe I have to wait 24 hours?

I read some forums and there are higher chance of kies not recognizing device if you have OTA update back in november. And they are saying if you do GTG_unbrick it should work... but I really do not want to go through all that:'(

yohannie

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Eastern time zone and I registered my device after 12:00 (technically I registered today). It didn't work so I went to bed, and I tried this morning (9:59 AM right now) and still saying unregistered device. Maybe I have to wait 24 hours?

I read some forums and there are higher chance of kies not recognizing device if you have OTA update back in november. And they are saying if you do GTG_unbrick it should work... but I really do not want to go through all that:'(

The GTG Unbrick takes about 10 minutes... it's very simple.

Also, it is for sure due to the UCKH1 OTA from November. I was getting the same issues until I did GTG and then the update worked like magic, and I own a 64 bit Windows.

txent

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

I registered yesterday afternoon and the update was available this morning. I'm guessing the download server gets updated with registration data overnight.

handsofdeath

May 22, 2011
Visit site
i Just install this update on a non rooted phone that never got one update. it worked perfectly.

here is a link to samsung and everything you need to install it. i didnt lose any data or contacts everything is as it was before except with GB

SAMSUNG

read all that there is info near the bottom that its really important if it doeant connect with kies