Unknown Device Error When Upgrading to Gingerbread

dlee1001

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, so yesterday I tried to apply the official GB update to my Infuse 4G. It downloaded fine, but when Kies Mini tried to upgrade it, the phone went into download mode and immediately the computer saw the phone as an unknown device and so the upgrade subsequently failed. I did this multiple times with the same results.

So I uninstalled everything Samsung related and reinstalled all the drivers and software for my phone and also reinstalled Kies mini. Upon connecting my phone, I chose "Kies (Firmware Update)" and three drivers installed. Then Kies mini saw the phone and I was able to download the update.

This time, something was different. After downloading the update, two new drivers that I've never seen before installed and the whole Kies mini window went black for a split second. The two drivers installed successfully, but nothing happened on Kies mini. It then said that the upgrade failed.

I followed Samsung's instructions on disconnecting the phone, but then something terrible happened. My phone showed the phone-!-computer screen and the "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue" message appeared. Now my phone is bricked, and the computer sees the phone as an unknown device. I have attempted to use Odin, but not even it saw my phone. And there was no way to download GTG Unbrick because none of the webpages that had the software worked; the pages never load.

When you upgraded your Infuses, how many new drivers were installed during the upgrade process? What were they? Had you ever connected your phone to the computer or to Kies mini (just to check for updates) in the past? Did you have USB debugging turned on?

This is my second phone phone and was a replacement from the first one which had a defective power button. It was covered under warranty so I was able to swap it with a different one at an AT&T Device Support Center. If I take my soft-bricked phone to the DSC, will they be able to flash GB onto it?