ATT now slows Unlimited data phones!

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Well we knew it would happen sooner or later, because ATT has a problem with their network (they always have). So now if you happen to be in the Top 5% of unlimited data users (which is about 2GB/month on the average) ATT can throttle back your data speed by 99%! That's right, they can make you phone almost useless for the rest of that month. But you still get unlimited data. The funny part is that you can pay the same $30/month you pay for unlimited and get 3GB/month and they won't ever cut your speed. So when you call and complain that your phone has ground to a halt they'll pimp their "tiered" plan. Or you can stay unlimited for the same price and they MIGHT cut your speed when you hit 2GB. Or not. It's all up to them. I'm so glad I have Verizon.

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so you just read the story on Yahoo. AT&T announced this last July and implemented it October 1st. And there's already a bunch of threads on it. So back to the Verizon forum with you!

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Well we knew it would happen sooner or later, because ATT has a problem with their network (they always have). So now if you happen to be in the Top 5% of unlimited data users (which is about 2GB/month on the average) ATT can throttle back your data speed by 99%! That's right, they can make you phone almost useless for the rest of that month. But you still get unlimited data. The funny part is that you can pay the same $30/month you pay for unlimited and get 3GB/month and they won't ever cut your speed. So when you call and complain that your phone has ground to a halt they'll pimp their "tiered" plan. Or you can stay unlimited for the same price and they MIGHT cut your speed when you hit 2GB. Or not. It's all up to them. I'm so glad I have Verizon.

That is the reason why they do it. I friend called ATT and complain, and all they did is recommend switching to one the the teird plans. They are just trying to get people to switch from the unlimited plans to teird.

You can say ya cause it is congested. well Its not congested 24/7 for the rest of the pay period. Verizon slows down speed only when the tower you are connected to is congested, and only slows it down while it is congested, after that you get normal speeds. And no i don't have Verizon. I have unlimited with no caps.

umpirerob

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The days of unlimited data are soon going to be a thing of the past. Carriers know that voice and texting are on the way out. If they want to make money, tiered data, like tiered voice before it, is the way to make money. I have unlimited with Verizon, but that'll end eventually, one way or another.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I am psychic. :-(

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.

I did the same with AT&T, mentioned that they would match the throttling point up with the tiered plan, months before they did it.

I do like the sound of the shared data pool, though. Hopefully when AT&T kills their grandfathered plans they'll do shared also.

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The throttle no longer starts at 2gb for the top 5% they start at 3gb for everyone now. They will still use the excuse your in the top 5% though to throttle you.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
That is the reason why they do it. I friend called ATT and complain, and all they did is recommend switching to one the the teird plans. They are just trying to get people to switch from the unlimited plans to teird.

You can say ya cause it is congested. well Its not congested 24/7 for the rest of the pay period. Verizon slows down speed only when the tower you are connected to is congested, and only slows it down while it is congested, after that you get normal speeds. And no i don't have Verizon. I have unlimited with no caps.

Verizon only throttles 3g atm. You may slow down on a busy tower but that is normal for any data connection.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

umpirerob

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ma Bell has plans for shared data as well... We'll probably see what they have in mind before the year is over. Glad to see my LTE unlimited is spared for now, but don't relish the thought of buying off contact.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38