Please help a Big Red Guy Out

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I've been a Verizon guy and just can't see myself leaving, since I have Unlimited Data. Likewise, I've got family on AT&T with grandfathered Unlimited Data.

I recently got a Verizon Iphone 5C, but would like to do something nice for one of my relatives on AT&T. After all, I prefer Android myself. I know Verizon's phones are unlocked and can be programmed to work with AT&T. I may need to visit Imore for some questions relating to that issue.

However, I want to make the setup as easy as possible for my relative, who won't want to visit a store or spend much time trying to activate a new device.

I'd like to provide some written instructions to make things easier, but I've never seen an online AT&T account.

Right now, he is on a grandfathered family plan and still has an old Iphone 3Gs. He won't want to cut the sim card, so I am sending him a new At&T nano sim with the new phone.

1. Is it possible to do all the activating online, while keeping unlimited data? He won't want to call At&T or go to a store.
2. Where do you typically need to click on the account to switch a device?
3. Since it is a reprogrammed Verizon phone, will he need to enter a device ID or just the new 4G Sim?
4. Does he run any risk of the computer taking away his grandfathered data plan?

He will have someone available to help him backup his old phone and transfer the data and contacts to the new phone.

5. (This may need to be addressed on Imore) Can I preprogram the AT&T settings into the Verizon Iphone, so all he'll need to do is activate it?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
WTF? This is a joke post right?

Verizon is the worst for locking down their phones and the iPhone is the worst to try to unlock.

I won't even mention the obvious that one carrier is GSM and the other is CDMA. Nor dignify it with a proper response.

GTFO with this ****

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon IPhone 5c and 5s are 100% compatible with AT&T and TMO and are unlocked out of the box. This is a gift and I want him to be able to try it with out having the hassle of going into the store. He is happy with the 3g iPhone and won't do it if he needs to go into a store

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
WTF? This is a joke post right?

Verizon is the worst for locking down their phones and the iPhone is the worst to try to unlock.

I won't even mention the obvious that one carrier is GSM and the other is CDMA. Nor dignify it with a proper response.

GTFO with this ****

1. Most (if not all) Verizon 4g LTE devices are unlocked so they work with any SIM.

2. Most new phones now a days (even the ones on CDMA) come with GSM radios. Why you ask? Simple.. The world uses GSM. If you go international at all it will be GSM only.. So therefore even CDMA phones have GSM radios so.. Yeah it would work.

3. It's also not nice to be completely rude to a legitimate question... As I explained the answers above.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

bolm86

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
You can try to have him do it through the online chat and hope he gets a good cs rep. It should be able to be done with their chat but last time I did it they activated it on the wrong line and we still had to go into the store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Here is some additional info showing the Verizon Iphone 5c/s will support all major carriers except Sprint:

Understanding the iPhone 5C/5S All-In-One AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon Model - MacRumors Forums

I just need to know where to tell him to go to switch devices, once he logs into the account.

He would need a nano sim for the 5C. There is no programming needed to get a Verizon 5C to be used on AT&T or T-Mobile just an appropriately programmed nano sim. Since the 3G is 3G, I have heard that AT&T needs to do something with the account to get 4GLTE. Those on AT&T can guide you better on this. But on the phone side, all you need is an AT&T nano sim. It might be best to call in, he can add you as an account manager so you can do all the work for him.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for those willing to lend a hand. The person I want to help, has no desire to burn an upgrade or even switch devices. It's perfectly OK to be like that too. I just know that he wants to keep unlimited data and is also paying AT&T the same money every month, whether he keeps his Iphone 3G or tries a newer smartphone.

I am just hoping that if he gets the opportunity to try a newer phone and the process is painless, he may enjoy using his phone more for stuff other than phone calls.

It is also funny when I've seen those on Imore recommend that AT&T customers who are paying full retail, buy the Verizon version, since you have one more option, other than TMO, in case you decide that you're done with AT&T

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Right if you are paying full retail, the Verizon iPhone 5s or 5c is the way to go. Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't have all the same radios though

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
OK. For those that are even remotely interested, I decided to cheat a little and called AT&T directly. Of course, customer service was closed, so I called their Global Support # and played with the automated system to get through.

Spoke to Stephanie and was straight up and honest about what I wanted to do. I asked her what bits of info would be needed to activate the Verizon Iphone 5C on AT&T.

Turns out they need 2 things:

1. Nano sim card #
2. IMEI # This surprised me at first, since it's an IMEI for a non-AT&T iphone, but of course it still has one.

I guess the difference is that AT&T will accept IMEIs no matter where they came from whereas Verizon and Sprint only accept IMEIs from phones made specifically for Verizon and Sprint.

It doesn't sound like I'll even have to tweak the APN settings, I knew she wouldn't be able to speak on this. However, according to DPham00 and what I've read, it sounds like I may not have to.

Of course, I am still trying to convince him that the 5C will be everything the 3G is and more and also that he can keep his same phone #.
To be fair, he's never activated a phone that was not purchased from AT&T, under a two year agreement, and activated at the store. If he decides not to, I've got another relative on Verizon that will be very happy.

Stephanie also said it would be very easy to migrate back to his 3g if he chose to.

Still seems funny that AT&T will gladly accept IMEIs for activation from any phone, provided it has the correct radio bands.
Verizon restricts IMEIs to only Verizon Wireless devices, but will gladly sell you a phone that can be activated nearly everywhere--except Sprint.
They just won't tell you about it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that gsm carrier has to accept any device capable of working on its network.

Also Verizon did allow the nexus 7 to operate on its network, even before Verizon began selling it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro