Might test out AT&T after years of Verizon

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks,

Simple question for those that have switched to AT&T. I've been with Verizon for over 12 years and while I agree that they're expensive, the service has been great especially in the DC area. However, I'm a nomad and like to try different phones from time to time. With Verizon I am completely limited to what I can use on their network but I've always wanted to try all of these "unlocked" devices that seem worth the money. Just seems easier to choose an unlocked phone on a network that supports it. I no longer have unlimited data so I'm no longer bound to stay with Verizon.

I'm wanting to try AT&T while still keeping my current line on Verizon, so I guess perhaps testing it for the 14 days or whatever and returning everything and evaluate my options. Does AT&T have a decent return policy, and can I stop my service within the 14 days and not have to pay the ETF?

Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
They have a decent return policy (ask in the store before buying and they'll give you the whole policy), but I tried them by buying a $10 TracFone phone that's on AT&T (it's not a smartphone) and found that it covered the areas I need with 100% coverage. That's really all you need to know for the test - if a convention comes into town and 5,000 people are trying to use 5 towers, no one is going to give you good service.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I would test them to make sure. I had Verizon but found att to work better in the spots I go to plus it came out slightly cheaper. For me att LTE has been the best experience but it all comes down to location. They usually give a 14 day return and when I got them they would also refund any activation type fees within 3 days but not sure if that has changed since then.

Posted via the Android Central App

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
What phone are you wanting to try? Most of the higher end unlocked phones will work on Verizon now.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I unfortunately am using an iPhone 6s Plus because the wife conned me into it back in January. Something different for a change. Not exactly a better change but at the current moment until I sell the phone I can't get anything else.

SO... fast forward to today, I visited the local AT&T store in my town and the super nice folks over there helped me out and got me set up with a phone and 5GB plan. They said just bring it back within 14 days and you'll just be prorated for what I used and no ETF, which is fair. So because I am using a 6sPlus, I grabbed a 16GB SE. Since they use the same modems, my testing can be a little more consistent.

I wouldn't say my town is in the woods, but it is on the outskirts of the bustling Northern VA area. I've always had luck with my Verizon devices. In fact on LTE I can net an average of 20-30 down and about 5 up according to SpeedTest. HOWEVER... the AT&T iPhone is only getting about 2 down and 1 up on LTE. I even popped the AT&T sim into my Verizon 6sPlus (since it comes unlocked) and was getting the same results. Still makes calls no problem, same with texts. But here's the strange part... the Verizon phone demolishes the AT&T phone in raw downloading speeds, but when it comes to streaming on YouTube or material that my wife wouldn't approve of, the AT&T phone is consistent and loads/renders faster. Same with webpages, the AT&T phone loaded this site quicker than the Verizon phone, both using Chrome. Weird.

So we'll see. I have 14 days to thoroughly test it out. I'll take it to work and wherever I go and have the wife take it to work with her so I can get an accurate idea of overall signal and coverage everywhere we frequent. But, I will admit that so far I'm very impressed with AT&T's customer service and simplicity. The fact that I can move the wife's iPhone over without buying a new phone is great.

Bravozero

Drroooiiiiddddd
Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
IMG_0404.jpgIMG_0405.PNG

Yea... AT&T isn't going to work for me. This is in my living room. No better upstairs or in the basement. Similar results with the AT&T sim in my Verizon phone.

What's more disappointing is not even a half mile away, I can go into the center of town and get 20-30 down / 5-10 up easily with AT&T.

anon(9898026)

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
That's sucks. I'm very happy with att and sometimes get over 100 down but I always tell people to get what works best for them. Looks like at your place Verizon is the better choice. Nothing wrong with going for what works best for you

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yea... AT&T isn't going to work for me. This is in my living room. No better upstairs or in the basement. Similar results with the AT&T sim in my Verizon phone.

What's more disappointing is not even a half mile away, I can go into the center of town and get 20-30 down / 5-10 up easily with AT&T.

To me, the fact that you did research and got definitive answers is the best thing.

I never understood people who would switch carriers to get a specific phone (not so much of an issue now), or just switch because someone else said that company A was better than company B.

Also though, why not use Wi-Fi while at home if the numbers are comparable outside of your home, that would allow you to switch and save money if reducing cost was your main concern.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
To me, the fact that you did research and got definitive answers is the best thing.

I never understood people who would switch carriers to get a specific phone (not so much of an issue now), or just switch because someone else said that company A was better than company B.

Also though, why not use Wi-Fi while at home if the numbers are comparable outside of your home, that would allow you to switch and save money if reducing cost was your main concern.

That's what I was thinking. If you have WiFi at home, it shouldn't really matter what service is like at home if it works great everywhere else.

I don't have WiFi at home, though, so I need faster speeds there the most.