Gingerbread Upgrade for Samsung

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about this Android platform.

Google has 2.3.4 out fixing various bugs in the 2.3 code but there is no way to get the update specific to the phones radio hardware etc. We should be able to get them on demand from Google and not wait for the Carrier or Samsung to roll it out. It takes forever if we will see it and by the time the release something a patch version is released and we're still behind with the bugs.

My Galaxy S has 2.2.0 but 2.2.2 is the latest so why can't be download patches and apply them? I am tired of calling the Samsung and Telus. They both plead ignorance and point fingers at the other to call them.

With so so many Android smartphones affected this had to be the absolute biggest screw up in updating the OS in existance. Even WinMobile 7 appears to be getting theirs now from what I just read.

I keep waiting for a break in this issue but months go by and there isn't any change.

jeffmorr

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm stuck on the same boat as you. I previously had a TELUS Hero, and it took a whole 6 months for TELUS to update it to 2.1, so I just hacked on the European version. Now, on my Fascinate, I keep on feeling the pain of being stuck on a lower OS. Although 2.3 isn't a major change, it's something to want.

I wish that Google would make the updates "Delta" updates, which would only change the code of stuff that's been changed, and that should be able to fix most of this fragmentation.

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Updates

I am shocked that Google had not for seen this as an issue knowing how OEM's and Carriers were handling other product and also knowing how Apple was doing it by the time they entered the market. With so many android phones I would expect more of a back lash from consumers. Maybe there is but its being suppressed. There does not appear to be a direct way to contact or communicate with Google for android issues.

However, your explanation is excellent. It needs doing if for no other reason to address bugs and real security issues. Most of these use data and/or free WiFi and those are certainly in need of being updated on all the devices of people having some private info.

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
This would be a Telus issue not Samsung. This is something weird about the cell phone space. If you bought a laptop, do you expect a free OS update? I do not expect MS to update me from vista to 7 for free.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This would be a Telus issue not Samsung. This is something weird about the cell phone space. If you bought a laptop, do you expect a free OS update? I do not expect MS to update me from vista to 7 for free.

Not for free, but you do have the option to upgrade for as long as the hardware will support it. In the phone space, when they decide they don't want to give it to you, you just don't get it (Unless you root and void your warranty...and even then, without a manufacturer release, it won't run as well as it could).

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
upgrades/updates

Well the OS updates for Android are free to start with from Google as they are for the IOS version for the IPhone 3 original. Hence the PC scenario does not apply.

Having said that the updates to the newer 2.2.4 is not a upgrade but patched to both fix bugs and very important security issues. Those are without a doubt need to be made available as soon as they're release as they are for personal computers. But they are not and never have been and the is the #1 problem we're exposed big time running 2.2.0 and we wonder why we have various problems many have been addressed in the 2.2.4 current release of that version.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well the OS updates for Android are free to start with from Google as they are for the IOS version for the IPhone 3 original. Hence the PC scenario does not apply.

Having said that the updates to the newer 2.2.4 is not a upgrade but patched to both fix bugs and very important security issues. Those are without a doubt need to be made available as soon as they're release as they are for personal computers. But they are not and never have been and the is the #1 problem we're exposed big time running 2.2.0 and we wonder why we have various problems many have been addressed in the 2.2.4 current release of that version.

There is no 2.2.4. The most current OS version is 2.3.4, which is much more than bug fixes and security patches. Froyo only went up to 2.2.3, and the .3 was only to fix an SMS bug on the Nexus One before Gingerbread was ready.

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
There is no 2.2.4. The most current OS version is 2.3.4, which is much more than bug fixes and security patches. Froyo only went up to 2.2.3, and the .3 was only to fix an SMS bug on the Nexus One before Gingerbread was ready.

You are correct on no 2.2.4 but the Android site ---> Android 3.1 Platform Highlights | Android Developers shows 2.2.2 patch and fixes and the text messaging bug should be of concern you mention if you text a lot since it can be misdirected with private content. Anyway they do exist if you look at that site and no reason why the sub releases cannot be made available right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non