1+ 7 Pro or Pixel 4?

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a Pixel 3 64 GB. I dropped it last month and the earpiece stopped working. I had it replaced at a local shop for $50 and it works OK now, but quality is iffy. I then found out the lower speaker doesn't work so the phone doesn't run. I could spend another $50 or $150 through squaretrade for a new device. I'm usually someone who replaces phones 12-18 months in. I don't really want to keep sinking money into the 3 so I'm now debating a 7 Pro or a Pixel 4. Since I like to get phones more often as the Pixel 4 climbs in prices I'm leery to sink so much into each phone. I started taking the train to work and I stream more than I used to so I'm looking at a 4 XL this time if I go that route. Anybody have thoughts on 7 pro vs Pixel 4? Does anyone know if the anticipated 7T Pro will be available in US?

Thanks

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I LOVE my OP7 Pro, but the camera while good is not a main selling feature in my mind. I suspect the Pixel 4 will have a better camera, it's also rumored to have the 90htz refresh rate that the OP7 Pro has. IF you want a great camera AND if you can wait, then the Pixel 4 might be better. IF you want a great value on an awesome phone AND you need it sooner rather than later, then grab the OP7 Pro.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel 4 will probably only beat the OnePlus 7 Pro in the camera department and OS support and that's it. You won't get the same storage model at the same price from OnePlus and with smaller batteries and 90hz screens, I'm not too expectant of any great battery life from the Pixel phones and the 7 Pro has been fantastic in my use since day 1. I still think the flexibility you get from a three lens system can be enough to stick with OnePlus unless Google really has something amazing up their sleeves. Otherwise the differences in quality are minimal at best and mostly fixable with better software which OnePlus seems to be committed to doing.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The camera's on the 7 Pro are good and flexable. Not as good as the Pixel though. If that's your main focus, than the Pixel is probably for you. I'm not a huge picture taker, so the 7 pro has everything I want. The screen is great as are the lack of bezel's. Battery life is excellent as well. Personally, I'd get the 7t if I were buying now, unless a small teardrop notch offends you. Basically the same cameras as the 7 pro, 90 Hz screen, 3800 mAh battery for $600.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The camera's on the 7 Pro are good and flexable. Not as good as the Pixel though. If that's your main focus, than the Pixel is probably for you. I'm not a huge picture taker, so the 7 pro has everything I want. The screen is great as are the lack of bezel's. Battery life is excellent as well. Personally, I'd get the 7t if I were buying now, unless a small teardrop notch offends you. Basically the same cameras as the 7 pro, 90 Hz screen, 3800 mAh battery for $600.
My thoughts, specially now that we know the Pixel 4 will come with a 2800mAh battery. The OP7T would be my choice.

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Now I've just got my OP7 Pro and that's replaced a Note 9; I cannot see how the Pixel 4 XL could be better; more so that we know their price will be close to £1k UK Sterling, if not more!

Plus I've got 256GB storage on this OP7 Pro; I've just put a lot of music onto it from my iTunes using iSyncr and I'm nowhere near capacity, but I'd struggle with a 64GB Pixel I reckon

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
This is my conundrum as well. It seems like Google is putting too much focus on gimmicks. I'm a businessman, I need it to be a good phone first and foremost. I don't need to be able to wave at my phone to change the music. While is seems like a great parlor trick, I really don't see myself using it. I have had all 3 Pixels (all XLs), and they have been pretty solid phones, but the skimp on some of the most important stuff when is comes hardware and provide unnecessary features. I almost never used that squeeze feature or the song detector thing that hardly worked and although the camera took amazing shots, it wasn't always inconsistent. The rumored small battery on the Pixel 4XL is probably the nail in the coffin. I'm going to wait to see what One+ does on the 10th and Google on the 15th and make my decision then.

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone appreciating the feedback. I'm not a big photographer, but certainly appreciate a good photo. I usually travel with a DSLR for big moments, trips etc. Does anyone know what to expect in US market from 1+ on the 10th. Another thing that makes this hard is I can't seem to get my hands on a 1+ at a store in my area.

This is my conundrum as well. It seems like Google is putting too much focus on gimmicks. I'm a businessman, I need it to be a good phone first and foremost. I don't need to be able to wave at my phone to change the music. While is seems like a great parlor trick, I really don't see myself using it. I have had all 3 Pixels (all XLs), and they have been pretty solid phones, but the skimp on some of the most important stuff when is comes hardware and provide unnecessary features. I almost never used that squeeze feature or the song detector thing that hardly worked and although the camera took amazing shots, it wasn't always inconsistent. The rumored small battery on the Pixel 4XL is probably the nail in the coffin. I'm going to wait to see what One+ does on the 10th and Google on the 15th and make my decision then.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I have had the 7pro since July. I love the thing. I was looking at pixel 3axl or thought about waiting for pixel 4. Pixel excels with Camera and fastest software updates. Pixel also costs more for the full version and the a version has mid range processor. Both have less storage than the 7pro. 3a only has 64gb and 128 on the 3 or 4 is going to cost more and it's already more at base than a mid spec 7pro with 256gb and 8gb ram.

The 7pro camera may be a little bit behind the pixel and iPhone but it's still takes very good looking photos that most people with be happy with. As far as software 7pro got Android 10 in about 3 weeks after the pixel phones, that's better than Samsung and most other OEMs. Sure they don't promise a monthly security patch, they do promise bi monthly. I have since having mine seen then not miss a month once and 10 came with September security patch and the 9 had August prior to upgrade. So they do a good job with that. The phone has been enjoyable to have and a good value for me.

Case wise there are some good 1st and 3rd party options for it. For a screen protector stay with film ones or use WhiteStone dome glass if you want tempered Glass. None of the tempered Glass screen protectors work well except that one.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
There is one big reason and you said it yourself: price.
No way, that a phone is worth that much and it is about time, that we the cusomer show them, that they can't milk us for our money.
Get the fastest phone with biggest specs and a decent cam for a third less price. Everything else is bonkers.

so far my 2 cents.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Have had the 7 Pro since the day it arrived on T-Mobile. Camera has gotten better since it's release. Battery life for me is very good still. Screen is beautiful. Updates are fairly regular (less so than the non T-Mobile version but seem to get monthly)

I would have no issues recommending the current One Plus line of phones.

I know it's not the best camera but I can also tell you I have had many comments on the quality of the photos I get from the phone.

Having said all that, I saw an initial review of the new Pixel XL and I'm kind of scratching my head. It has some cool new technology but also missing some as well. It feels incomplete to me for the price tag. Last generation chip set for example, I know the new one in marginally better but this is a $900 phone, it should have whatever is the newest chip on the market. I feel they went the wrong way on the dual camera as well, should have been triple cameras or the 2nd camera should have been the wide angle lens IMO. I hope the Pixel does well because I want them to keep making phones but this one's not for me.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
There's a reason they didn't mention the battery life on stage.

I am using my phone fairly frequently. I charge it in the evening to 95%, then take it off the charger (around 21:00). Next morning (5:30) the phone has still 92% or 93% charge left.

I always have WiFi and Bluetooth on. It connects with my car. It connects with my LG smartwatch. So the radio is constantly on.
One "trick" I do is, I limit background data. This has a noticable positive effect on my battery percentage.

Before I connect it to the charger again, the phone has (depending on how intensively i used it) between 50% at best and 20% worst charge left.

Good enough for me.

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually leaning towards the 7T, and it doesn't have much to do with price. Alot of reviews of the 7 pro consistently comment on that it's a bit of an unwieldy phone and can be hard to use. Any thoughts on that? I do think another thing in my mind is I'm going to want a 5G phone when it's out which will probably be mid next year and I don't want to spend a grand on a phone that I know I'll want to replace when at 5G Pixel 5XL or even 5G Pixel 4XL comes out.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I considered the Pixel 4 but I was concerned about the small battery and limited storage in the base model. In order to get a reasonably-sized battery and internal storage, I would have to buy the Pixel 4XL with 128GB for almost $1,000. I'm getting the OnePlus 7T instead.