News 20 things Samsung didn't mention about the Galaxy S24

krisqz

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't switch between cameras in 4k60 on my S24+. Only in 4k30. Exynos version, though. Could that be the difference?

MishaalRahman

Aug 10, 2023
Visit site
I can't switch between cameras in 4k60 on my S24+. Only in 4k30. Exynos version, though. Could that be the difference?
Interesting, 4K60 lens switching works on the Snapdragon S24 series. I haven't tested or heard from anyone yet about the Exynos S24 series. This could either be processor related or ONLY available on the Ultra model.

eddi0

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is "borrowing" a lot from Pixels with the S24. Wish Pixels used a more premium chipset but the bloat on Samsungs particularly with One UI keeps me with a Pixel.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Bloat is a subjective term. The Pixels come with a bunch of Google "bloatware" that I would need to uninstall so I could use it.
I see where you’re coming from with this, and part of me agrees. But there’s no getting away from the fact that a Pixel comes with one email app, and a Galaxy phone comes with three. That said, I do find it strange that it bothers so many people. Just don’t use them; some of them can be uninstalled. Why is it such a big deal?

Reactions: 1raygin

ptsenter

Jan 27, 2024
Visit site
I have more of a question than comment. It seems the article doesn't answer it.
All phones I had with dual SIM support - Poco, Pixel - allow mixture of functionality: one SIM handles voice and text messages, the other - data. I had S22U, S23U. None of them support such mixture. You have to select primary SIM and the other becomes "dormant": extremely inconvenient.
Do you know if Samsung fixed this behavior?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have more of a question than comment. It seems the article doesn't answer it.
All phones I had with dual SIM support - Poco, Pixel - allow mixture of functionality: one SIM handles voice and text messages, the other - data. I had S22U, S23U. None of them support such mixture. You have to select primary SIM and the other becomes "dormant": extremely inconvenient.
Do you know if Samsung fixed this behavior?
Did you have some carrier version of the phones? because that is not how the unlocked versions behave.

ptsenter

Jan 27, 2024
Visit site
Did you have some carrier version of the phones? because that is not how the unlocked versions behave.
I just retested unlocked S23U: installed data-only eSIM. The phone still forces to select primary SIM. The secondary (e)SIM does not become exactly "dormant", but a message says if primary can't connect the secondary will be used. It's kind of backup connection. But it's not exactly the same behavior as Pixels and not very useful.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I just retested unlocked S23U: installed data-only eSIM. The phone still forces to select primary SIM. The secondary (e)SIM does not become exactly "dormant", but a message says if primary can't connect the secondary will be used. It's kind of backup connection. But it's not exactly the same behavior as Pixels and not very useful.
Well, here is a screenshot of the SIM manager on my S24U. It is the same as on my S23U, S21U and S10e. I don't know where you are, but I know US versions of the unlocked aren't really unlocked and let carrier software take over the phone. So that may be what's happening.Screenshot_20240128_105506_Call%20settings.jpg

ptsenter

Jan 27, 2024
Visit site
Well, here is a screenshot of the SIM manager on my S24U. It is the same as on my S23U, S21U and S10e. I don't know where you are, but I know US versions of the unlocked aren't really unlocked and let carrier software take over the phone. So that may be what's happening.
I have US version and recall that a couple years ago when I first started asking this question somebody mentioned that US might have such behavior. I contacted Samsung's tech support at the time. They promised to pass this to developers. I guess it's still "not resolved".

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have US version and recall that a couple years ago when I first started asking this question somebody mentioned that US might have such behavior. I contacted Samsung's tech support at the time. They promised to pass this to developers. I guess it's still "not resolved".
Unless you can outbid Verizon, they don't really have an incentive to change it. My advice would be to try a T-Mobile SIM as your first SIM, as they seem to use actual unlocked software. May be too late now though, I'm really not concrete on how the wacky American carrier stuff works. Thankfully.