38 Android Phones and Tablets So Far this Year

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
In Asia, including India and China, Nokia had a stranglehold as they had unlocked (locked phones are mostly unheard of, at least in India and even in Singapore and Hong Kong, Apple sells unlocked iPhones) symbian 'smart' phone devices for as little as $175. However constant crashes and problems with its N series / symbian phones and now ovi disaster is quite killing Nokia.

iPhone with its huge cost ($600 or so) can never gain mass market status in developing economies of Asia, Africa, etc. Android devices are now coming into the void between $200-450 price points in these exploding markets (India is adding 10 million connections every month and with 3G around the corner), LG, Samsung, HTC and Motorola see huge potential.

Add to that the Android market pricing being very reasonable, and now available to Asia (not sure about Africa) I also see huge scope for app developers for Asia/Africa centric apps for Android.

With such large variety of Android devices, I think even 2.2 is pretty decent and with budget devices starting in $150 range, potential for Android to take off is really high.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
In Asia, including India and China, Nokia had a stranglehold as they had unlocked (locked phones are mostly unheard of, at least in India and even in Singapore and Hong Kong, Apple sells unlocked iPhones) symbian 'smart' phone devices for as little as $175. However constant crashes and problems with its N series / symbian phones and now ovi disaster is quite killing Nokia.

iPhone with its huge cost ($600 or so) can never gain mass market status in developing economies of Asia, Africa, etc. Android devices are now coming into the void between $200-450 price points in these exploding markets (India is adding 10 million connections every month and with 3G around the corner), LG, Samsung, HTC and Motorola see huge potential.

Add to that the Android market pricing being very reasonable, and now available to Asia (not sure about Africa) I also see huge scope for app developers for Asia/Africa centric apps for Android.

With such large variety of Android devices, I think even 2.2 is pretty decent and with budget devices starting in $150 range, potential for Android to take off is really high.

You spoke too soon. Or too late.

The Asian centric Android apps are already there.

For example, Mel-On, is the KPop or Korean version for services like Pandora, Spotify and Slacker, catering to Korean music. Early last summer, this was a top download on the Android Market. Mel-On is as important to Korean Android users as Pandora is to US Android users.

Another big app is Kakao-Talk. Made in Korea, it does what WhatsApp, Kik, or BBM does for US users. Kakao-Talk is very popular in Korea and Asia and runs in both iPhone and Android.

The Naver search engine, popular in Korea, is available in the Android Market with a series of apps.

Then you have the Four big Horsemen of the Chinese Social media. These are:

QQZone
Sina Weibo
Kaixin001
Renren

All four are available in Android Market officially. Consider them requisites for any Chinese Android user. Oh and Baidu Search is also available in the Android Market.

sandeep108

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Of course many apps are already there. My point is that android really has potential to be mass market globally with its great value propositions as compared to any other platform currently.

And resulting in Google's dominance becoming even more.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Of course many apps are already there. My point is that android really has potential to be mass market globally with its great value propositions as compared to any other platform currently.

And resulting in Google's dominance becoming even more.

Indeed. Even in Japan, they're taking off.

Late November all 5 top selling phones in Japan were smartphones. It was a historical first TWo of them were iPhones, the IP4 in 16 and 32gb, who because of their different price points, are considered two separate phones.

The other three were Android - Sharp ISO3, Samsung Galaxy S and the Lynx 3D.

Mid December, both iPhones were knocked out, as two new phones got into the list, the Regza ISO4 and the Sharp Galapagos. Both were Android. The other three Androids remained in the list --- creating a virtual sweep of Japan's top 5.

So Android is taking off big in Japan. It appears the Japanese have their own unique and sexy phone designs for Android, boasting things like 3D displays and 12mp cameras.

They are taking off big in China where 50% of all new smartphones sold are Android, and its a forgone conclusion in Korea.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
In the next year or so... Androids phones will be the only phone people want(my prediction).

Wouldn't go that far. The iPhone is coming to Verizon, and although I'm not afraid it'll deter Android's growth severely, there are many people out there who have been holding out for a Big Red iPhone for a long time. Android and iPhone will be the big two powerhouses in my mind, but neither one will be the only one people want. ;)

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't go that far. The iPhone is coming to Verizon, and although I'm not afraid it'll deter Android's growth severely, there are many people out there who have been holding out for a Big Red iPhone for a long time. Android and iPhone will be the big two powerhouses in my mind, but neither one will be the only one people want. ;)

Very true... I have been using BB's since they was blue... was holding out for an *actual new phone* from RIM for a year (not a "refresh").. That was really all that I wanted. Then I moved to Android when I saw there really was nothing coming from RIM.
Honestly, I would have went with anyone even Pre (if they had something new).. I just wanted something new that worked of course.... What I like about Android thus far is there seems to be always something new and intriguing, but I can wander away at anytime should that stop or something else catches my eye..

StrandedBrit

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Xoom does look nice.

Out of the phones I'd have to say that the Xperia Arc looks like the nicest phone to me, and one of the only ones that actually says it will ship with 2.3

Think I'll hold out to see what LTE pricing is before I do anything though.

eric6052

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
When you see this list its really a testament to Phil and the Android Central team. The fact that they can keep up with this pace of device, app and version releases without loosing their minds is impressive. The growth of Android has been phenomenal and it kids like its set to continue. The iphone on Verizon may cause a hickup in that growth in the American market that will be offset by growth at Simbians expense worldwide.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfgfg