5.1.1 is out in the wild!

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok....

With all the 5.0/5.0.2 and some 5.1 issues on everyone's 2012 Nexus 7 (WiFi model), who's brave enough to download and install?

I'm currently running 5.1. The tab seems to run pretty solid 80% of the time....

Major slowdown occurs when downloading and install app updates.... But it still lag's on occasion.

Post your results and let me know how 5.1.1 runs for you!

barthawk

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I installed it yesterday and did a factory reset. Took a while to go through all the app updates, but once completed it runs OK. Probably not as fast as it was under KitKat, but so far it seems a little more responsive than 5.1. I haven't tried installing the Facebook app yet, but it seems to run smoother with Google Now than it did before.

We will see if the snappier response is just due to the fact that I did a factory reset and it will slow down again over time or 5.1.1 did improve things.

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Ya I installed it and it was a bugger. I pushed it with the Nexus Root Toolkit. After reboot I signed in with my Google account and reinstalled all my apps. It was at that point that I found out it was only registering 6 gig of my 32 gig. So I did the factory reset and reinstall which usually fixed it and it didn't. After some research I booted into recovery and reformatted the data partition which got the space back. Then I restart and get google restore all my apps and guess what...It said I had six gig again. Turns out you can't let Google do the restore. I had to reformat it again and then set it up like it was new. Now I got the 32 gig. So.... is it faster. Ya a little but it still hangs at times. It is still pretty sucky. I was really hoping they got it right finally but there are still long hangs that last several minutes at times.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I did the OTA about an hour ago. I find an amazing difference. I was frustrated to the point that I was looking at refurbished ipad mini's on eBay and was going to send this back to the seller since I have a 30 day return privilege.

I am now going to keep this unit. It certainly runs well enough for me to be happy.

Posted via the Android Central App

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Ya I installed it and it was a bugger. I pushed it with the Nexus Root Toolkit. After reboot I signed in with my Google account and reinstalled all my apps. It was at that point that I found out it was only registering 6 gig of my 32 gig. So I did the factory reset and reinstall which usually fixed it and it didn't. After some research I booted into recovery and reformatted the data partition which got the space back. Then I restart and get google restore all my apps and guess what...It said I had six gig again. Turns out you can't let Google do the restore. I had to reformat it again and then set it up like it was new. Now I got the 32 gig. So.... is it faster. Ya a little but it still hangs at times. It is still pretty sucky. I was really hoping they got it right finally but there are still long hangs that last several minutes at times.

I updated with the OTA file pushed via ADB.... I did not have the storage issue as you did.

I have (so far) seen a small improvement in speed with 5.1.1. I would recommend the upgrade from 5.1.

All my app's (131 of them) run much smoother than they did before on 5.1. I have not experienced any crashing of app's yet. That includes Google music.

So, the tab runs pretty good at this point..... Let's see where it is in a week!

systemofadown1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Running quite well here :)
As usual, I used wugs toolkit as I was rooted & OTA's won't take in that circumstance so no use waiting around...
All set up again now & rolling right along again.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Installed 5.1.1 earlier today. The Tab is so much better now. No more lagging and feeezing. It's so much smoother and quicker in comparison. So far I'm happy with the update.

Posted via the Android Central App

Maurice Reed1

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Just got the update ota. Seems so much better now. The main prob I was having was using chrome browser, it would stick when scrolling up/down long web pages. Also, just recently I was getting lots of 'Aw Snap' messages. Since the update these probs seem to have gone.

Fingers crossed.

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I got the OTA. Preliminary impression is I can't see any difference in general UI behavior or Web surfing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Used Wugs toolkit to install 2 days ago. 5.1 was working fine for me and I don't really see much change in behavior with 5.1.1. Facebook app still doesn't work very well so uninstalled and using web version.

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
WiFi update arrived last night,much to my surprise, as I wasn't paying attention.

So far, small amount of casual use, and a couple of app updates (one locked up, poorly designed I think) indicates a much better experience than 5.1.

Make peace with N7/2012 again...?

Last edited:

KZ3W

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey All Nexus 7 (2012) users :
On one hand ,, we are lucky that
we are getting updates to a 2012
tech product . How many thought
our 2012 N7's would last this long ??
On the other hand ,, Consider us
"Lab Rats" for Android ,, ha ha .