7 days and this EVO LTE is going back!

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I did a factory reset last night. The phone was running smooth as butter. The first thing I did was check my available RAM. There was over 300 MB of available RAM. I installed both Chrome and Temple Run and both ran quite well. As I installed more apps, I noticed my available RAM starting to dwindle.

I noticed my first Sense reload after I installed lookout mobile security. I also noticed the lag in Temple Run as well. I looked back at my available RAM and saw that I was down to 126 MB of free RAM. I then noticed that the biggest offenders were Lookout and SwiftKey. I decided Lookout was more important and uninstalled SwiftKey. I then noticed Temple Run ran smoothly again and I've yet to experience a Sense Reload.

I think what's happening is that lookout and SwiftKey are both high priority apps that use lots of system resources. This is why Sense is being killed in the background.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Well that sucks because I absolutely love Swiftkey :(. I wonder how it compares to the HTC keyboard or Swype on resource usage?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
So I did a factory reset last night. The phone was running smooth as butter. The first thing I did was check my available RAM. There was over 300 MB of available RAM. I installed both Chrome and Temple Run and both ran quite well. As I installed more apps, I noticed my available RAM starting to dwindle.

Well, installing additional apps will not consume memory, only storage. Only if you run them will it affect memory...

I noticed my first Sense reload after I installed lookout mobile security.

I, personally, would never run an app like that... it will be something that has is big, has lots of hooks, tries to stay resident all the time, etc. I would *expect* that type of application to use lots of resources. Not saying it will necessarily cause a problem (and might not have on other phones), but it could push things over the edge when memory is running low.

I also noticed the lag in Temple Run as well. I looked back at my available RAM and saw that I was down to 126 MB of free RAM. I then noticed that the biggest offenders were Lookout and SwiftKey. I decided Lookout was more important and uninstalled SwiftKey. I then noticed Temple Run ran smoothly again and I've yet to experience a Sense Reload.

I think what's happening is that lookout and SwiftKey are both high priority apps that use lots of system resources. This is why Sense is being killed in the background.

I think you are exactly right. But this is consistent with one prevailing line of thought- that the Sense UI is just too big, available memory is much lower than previous phones, and the Sense version of Android is also tuned to be much more aggressive (too aggressive) at killing off or suspending apps. This has the effect of suppressing, restricting, or at times completely removing multitasking capabilities, leaving the phone in more of a "suspend and reload" type task switcher behavior.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

And how long did you let it run before installing those apps and your memory available stayed at 300MB?

I bet if you do a factory reset and run your phone for a couple days without installing anything else your available memory will be down around the 150MB available.

I just restarted my phone and my memory is still around 250 free even while typing this with SwiftKey.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
And how long did you let it run before installing those apps and your memory available stayed at 300MB?

I bet if you do a factory reset and run your phone for a couple days without installing anything else your available memory will be down around the 150MB available.

I just restarted my phone and my memory is still around 250 free even while typing this with SwiftKey.

It was about an hour before I started installing apps. After Chrome and Temple Run, the RAM did not change much. Apps like GoSMS Pro, accuweather, Google Voice, Maps, facebook and Dropbox all run processes and use up RAM in the background. I have also noticed that Lookout is using significantly less resources than it was last night.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think you are exactly right. But this is consistent with one prevailing line of thought- that the Sense UI is just too big, available memory is much lower than previous phones, and the Sense version of Android is also tuned to be much more aggressive (too aggressive) at killing off or suspending apps. This has the effect of suppressing, restricting, or at times completely removing multitasking capabilities, leaving the phone in more of a "suspend and reload" type task switcher behavior.

I also think that a significant point being missed is the fact that this is an HD screen. And apps require more RAM to run on an HD screen. However, I don't believe that the Galaxy Nexus, with its HD screen and 1GB of RAM had this problem. This once again points to Sense as being the problem. If there was a way I could cheaply mod an extra GB of Ram onto this thing, I would.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
After reading about 2/3 of this thread, all I can say is...I'm happy with my overpriced, blazing 4G LTE from stupid Verizon, and thank God I have a Galaxy Nexus.
This settles my mind, I won't be going to Sprint anytime soon, and my next phone will be a Sammy, as soon as a vanilla Android rom is available. I would lose my mind with Sense. Stupid Taiwanese.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

sracercelica

May 14, 2010
Visit site
After reading about 2/3 of this thread, all I can say is...I'm happy with my overpriced, blazing 4G LTE from stupid Verizon, and thank God I have a Galaxy Nexus.
This settles my mind, I won't be going to Sprint anytime soon, and my next phone will be a Sammy, as soon as a vanilla Android rom is available. I would lose my mind with Sense. Stupid Taiwanese.

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

Cool story bro.....:cool:

calvin35

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
yea because touchwiz is so much better I give Samsung props for adding a gig of ram so touch wiz can hog up but honestly sense 4 in my opinion is better then touch wiz 5

Sent from my HTC .....oh wait its stuck at customs

Check out the Sprint Galaxy s3 forum before you post anymore of this silliness

edit: never mind, I misread your post. Silly me.

Last edited:

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

There are a lot of specific ways you can help the situation and I'm about to write up a post on it. Certain things are cool to android, and should have no problem running, but not with the way the phone is today. For instance - Face unlock is ok, a bit gimmicky, but it's there. Problem is, it's a persistent 50MB. In a phone that boots up with barely 200 or so free, only about 100 free before it starts killing off things, 50MB is huge.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Check out the Sprint Galaxy s3 forum before you post anymore of this silliness

edit: never mind, I misread your post. Silly me.

Don't sweat it, it happens, see my problem with touch wiz is that it feels iPhoney, idk it might just be me but touch wiz 5 not only seems iPhoneish but from what I've seen takes the ics feel away at least we still taste some ics with sense 4

Sent from my HTC .....oh wait its stuck at customs

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't sweat it, it happens, see my problem with touch wiz is that it feels iPhoney, idk it might just be me but touch wiz 5 not only seems iPhoneish but from what I've seen takes the ics feel away at least we still taste some ics with sense 4

I think any skin takes away from it, but that's the beauty of android in that we can at least replace the launcher. I don't know why reviews focus so much on how much the launcher is like stock ICS or not when we can basically get a stock ICS launcher if we want to do it. It's one of the absolute easiest parts of the OS to change.

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
This specific issue has me torn. I was going to get the GNEX, but with the evo and gs3 I can't justify that anymore. I love the build quality and camera on the evo and have a moral opposition to samsung's menu button use and touchwiz, but if I'm going to have to flash a different rom either way, it looks like the gs3 is a better choice.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

sracercelica

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Well this is a hard choice, but I think I am going to switch to the GS3, besides the screen I just don't see many advantages to the Evo anymore, this multitasking issue is killing me.

On a side note:
I preordered my Evo from best buy and got that $50 gift card, does any one if when I trade it for the GS3 I will be deducted those $50.00?

ghostyroasty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll still be in my 30 window when the s3 comes out.. I'm also contemplating a jump, and I've had all HTC with the exception of my Palm Pre. Will BB exchange no questions asked? I still may keep my Evo, but I want the option to be there.

Drhux

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm jumping ship. I loved the EVO but the multitasking is the worse! It's a huge hassle that I refuse to deal with any longer. I just got off the phone with my local Best Buy the S3 is retailing for $200 with no discount. The said I can return my Evo in the 30 days to get the S3 but I'd have to cover the $50 difference and it all depends on stock availbilty. So I'm just going to pre order the S3 and hold on to the EVO until the S3 comes out.

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm jumping ship. I loved the EVO but the multitasking is the worse! It's a huge hassle that I refuse to deal with any longer. I just got off the phone with my local Best Buy the S3 is retailing for $200 with no discount. The said I can return my Evo in the 30 days to get the S3 but I'd have to cover the $50 difference and it all depends on stock availbilty. So I'm just going to pre order the S3 and hold on to the EVO until the S3 comes out.

Will they let you preorder it and swap your phone for a preorder? That would rock.