A Bit of Arrogance?

CATSCo

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
Today on androidcentral; a bit insulting or arrogance?

"Really there are only two reasons to buy a Chromebook. The first is you just don't want to spend a ton of money on a laptop. If that's the case, the Chromebook definitely gives you plenty of bang for every buck. The second reason is you either don't use computers much or don't really know how."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's an outrageously silly statement. Which article did you see that in? It sounds like the writer is trapped by a time warp in the year 2012.:-\

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I responded. Not sure if I'm somehow misinterpreting the author's tone or intent, but that statement cannot stand.:mad:

I hope @CATSCo doesn't mind, but I moved this to the Chromebooks forum, so that more Chromebook users and fans can see this and respond as well.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious how that is arrogant or insulting? Chrome OS is good for simple web browsing, streaming, etc. It's still quite fast, and secure.

Anything that has Windows installed in this same price range is usually trash. The performance will be horrid at best, with the hardware not too far behind.

CATSCo

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
I'm curious how that is arrogant or insulting? Chrome OS is good for simple web browsing, streaming, etc. It's still quite fast, and secure.

Anything that has Windows installed in this same price range is usually trash. The performance will be horrid at best, with the hardware not too far behind.

The author of the article says that chromebook users are not the sharpest pencil in the box.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The author of the article says that chromebook users are not the sharpest pencil in the box.

Quote the exact words.

I don’t use computers much myself, nor know much about how to, but there is no shame in that. It’s simply a fact.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The author doesn't seem to be among the sharpest pencils in the box either: "The ports include USB-C, USB 3.0" USB-C ports are normally 3.0 or 3.1, 3.0 isn't a specification for a different port type than C. Maybe "The ports include USB-C running USB 3.0"? (And he failed to mention the 2 2.0 ports, which are probably Type A.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious how that is arrogant or insulting?

What rubbed me all sorts of wrong ways was the statement, "The second reason is you either don't use computers much or don't really know how." I use computers a lot, so I guess that means I don't really know how to use them. It's a miracle that I somehow manage to post a few things on this forum without blowing my house up. Yup, that's us Chromebook users in a nutshell.:confused:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What rubbed me all sorts of wrong ways was the statement, "The second reason is you either don't use computers much or don't really know how." I use computers a lot, so I guess that means I don't really know how to use them. It's a miracle that I somehow manage to post a few things on this forum without blowing my house up. Yup, that's us Chromebook users in a nutshell.:confused:

I agree it could have been written quite a bit better.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The author doesn't seem to be among the sharpest pencils in the box either: "The ports include USB-C, USB 3.0" USB-C ports are normally 3.0 or 3.1, 3.0 isn't a specification for a different port type than C. Maybe "The ports include USB-C running USB 3.0"? (And he failed to mention the 2 2.0 ports, which are probably Type A.)

1 port is an HDMI out, and the other a type A USB 3.0, at least on Lenovo's site: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...omebook-S330%2Fp%2F88LGCS31095&token=TNTuifPK

The model number is slightly different, but I think that's due to a region code. The site is from the UK. I didn't bother with the Walmart link as Walmart has a track record, at least with me, of habitually not listing specs in good detail or even correctly.

However, I will admit, that the author of the article could have done a bit more research. Maybe even played around with the OS for a bit? As I am thinking about it more, this seemed like a drive by hit piece, as opposed to an actual article.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, he's at it again. https://www.androidcentral.com/thri...k-spin-13-gets-rare-200-discount-cyber-monday

"One of the main limitations of the Chromebook is it has low dedicated storage. Although 128GB is probably plenty for light work, you could easily invest in a new microSD card down to its lowest price right now."

128 GB is not "low storage" for a Chromebook, because it's intended to take advantage of the cloud. And 128 GB is 8.5 times the free storage you get on Google Drive, so that's a nice bonus. Assuming you're not completely against using Google Drive (and why would this be the case if you actually bought a Chromebook?), the main reason to have oodles of storage would be for Android app installation. I don't recall seeing anyone complain about a 128 GB phone being too small to install all the apps the user wants.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Not sure if there's a way to get the blog admins to read this, but they REALLY need to start having ChromeOS and Chromebook articles be written by someone who knows what Chromebooks are, how they work and what the real pros and cons are. These articles by John are 1) displaying his ignorance and 2) coming off as passive aggressive hit pieces. It's a bad look for AC, who used to have quality reporting from Jerry and Phil.

For some reason this link no longer works: https://www.androidcentral.com/best-2018-chromebooks

Here's Jerry's most recent take on Chromebooks: https://www.androidcentral.com/chromebooks-can-be-inexpensive-they-arent-cheap

See the difference?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I understand that these are really just fluff pieces to encourage going to the Thrifter site and shopping, but even fluff pieces should have some basic standards.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I had the first year Chromebook, which cost about 150, and lasted over 5 years. Fast, decent screen, excellent battery life, never ran out of memory . Even brought it to Europe for watching TV at the air bnb on Hulu . Web surfed constantly. Very light and thin for the price point too. The author has a 1 size fits all mentality, but it's his loss.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I got my first computer in 1983, I think. It was a Columbia transportable. I had PCs through DOS and into Windows. On a couple of occasions I bought components and built my computers. I am definitely not a computer geek. That's my son. He's had a computer since he was 12 or so. I am an accomplished button pusher.

Eighteen months ago I decided to play with a Chromebook. I got a Samsung Pro. I hated it. I didn't hate Chrome OS, just the Samsung Pro. So, I gave it to a widow with five kids. It went to the one in high school. I got an Asus C302. Obviously, I'm not living on Social Security and can afford to get a "real" computer.

My Dell with two 23" monitors, and SSD, two DVD drives, and two Terabytes on a hard drive sits pretty much ignored on a desk while I used my Asus chromebook.

I think John Levite is probably an Apple wannabee but doesn't have the money to get in so he snipes at everyone. Jealousy is totally destructive.

Written joyously on my Asus C302.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796