A short Moto X Style/Pure Review

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks

Ive owned my X Style/Pure for a few days now and I wanted to give a quick review, because all review online are from release day..so:
Review is done using:
UK Style OS: MPHS24.49-18-4 (Security Patch May 2016)

Before buying this phone, Ive owned almost every single Android / Windows and even an iPhone 6.. so I think I can give a fair brief, no fluff review, however, I have based it more around the 6P as the P is also pure Android, with dual front facing speakers and a fully auto mode camera, so its quite similar to the X

The display is a 5.7" qhd IPS panel and its fantastic and very clear with great viewing angles.. unlike the 6P which is a bit saturated (very red reds), although not as over saturated as a Samsung screen which do tend to add a bluey tint to the whites, its so bright in fact that I only need the X display at 20% in-doors and at 50% outside.. NO display is amazing in direct sunlight, but the srtyle is Good.

Speakers are just mind-blowing.. while the 6P are great, they tend to sound thin and lack the bass.. but the X speakers give a rounder, fatter, fuller sound with more Mid range .. and they actually get louder... 50% volume matches the 6P 85%, which also means you get very VERY loud ringtones..

For me being a moderate user, the battery life is good.. I always have NFC, Data Sync turned OFF and Location set to "Battery Saving", so I find I get about 2 days out of a full charge, which to me.. is fine, not as good as the 6P, which gave me 3 days on light use.. but certainly not bad.. my G5 (running the new v10e build) gave me about a day and a half, which was drained really badly by LGs own Music player.. a bug maybe.. but since using the 6P and now the style.. Ive come to realise how great and efficient Pure Android really is :)
Camera Version: 5.1.12.12 (Jan 2016) .. im a Candid Photographer...

Sorry to break all you Samsung fans hearts, but yes.. the Camera on the X is good, in fact its very good.. as long as you dont use HDR.. I found HDR made my images worse, slightly blurry with the whites blown out and ghosting.. even with the Exposure down...

The UI is actually great to use.. because.. you set up a shot and you touch the screen.. but on many phone cameras, you set up your shot.. then adjusting your hand position 2 or 3 inches to press the virtual shutter buttoin, sometimes shakes the camera.. not on the X, you just touch anywhere on the screen, so not having OIS works ok in a wierd kind of way....however, the UI is very basic and could do with a "3x3 rule of thirds" grid and a settings menu might be better than the wheel.

There is no OIS or the 6Ps camcorder EIS, but SONYs DIS does a great job, the images are very clear and crisp, 16 or 21 mpx.. seems to make very little difference as theres really no measurable difference to the naked eye beween the 2 anyway.. so I find using 16 is enough due to less processing time, however the images themselves are a little flat and lifeless, they could do with some added white balance or even a few filters, like the 6Ps lovely rich colours and depth. Also, sadly there is no RAW mode either, which, in 2015 - 16... is a shame, but theres dozens of editors and camera apps on the play store.

Headphones audio is really great using my Sennheiser HD 433s and LG Quadbeat 2s.. nice and clear, but on the "X" you can tell the difference between MP3 320k and Flac, however, as the X comes with an SDCard... you can rip your music to whatever you want... so thats not an issue

FLAC Music is punchy and loud with good instrument seperation.. and if its not.. Play Music now has a nice EQ built in, which i find is fine for audio.. the only issue I found is that.. according to the X spec sheet... it is supposed to support WMA, which did rip fine onto the X, but the WMA files wouldnt show up at all..

I highly recommend this phone... even now in late 2016.... it is an awesome package... the boild quality is very good.. speakers and audio are really great.. and while the camera puts out excellent sharp images, i recommend adding a few tweaks here and there...

I just hope lennovo keeps up its support...

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review! Although it's interesting that you felt the 6P's screen was too oversaturated--when I compare mine with my wife's Note5, it seems more muted to me. Then again, Samsung's known for vivid color saturation, I guess.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the review! Although it's interesting that you felt the 6P's screen was too oversaturated--when I compare mine with my wife's Note5, it seems more muted to me. Then again, Samsung's known for vivid color saturation, I guess.

I just hope that people find my review helpful...

Ive corrected my review... I did find the 6P saturated, but not as over saturated as a Samsung panel... but I do prefer the IPS

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, this did help- I just grabbed one of these to hold me over until Samsung has N7 stocked so I can do a straight exchange. I've never had a Motorola and thought it was cost effective to try one out, and usually my make or break is the camera and screen size. I'm pretty happy and counting the days.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Nice review. I've had mine since June when my HTC One M9 went swimming. I love this phone, camera is top notch for my needs, beautiful display, added a 32 GB card for more storage, and the Moto gestures are amazing. Battery life could be a little better but quick charging helps remedy that since I have QCers in my car and in my office.
I would buy this again in a heartbeat and hope Motorola keep making them even with the Z models.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Nice review. I've had mine since June when my HTC One M9 went swimming. I love this phone, camera is top notch for my needs, beautiful display, added a 32 GB card for more storage, and the Moto gestures are amazing. Battery life could be a little better but quick charging helps remedy that since I have QCers in my car and in my office.
I would buy this again in a heartbeat and hope Motorola keep making them even with the Z models.

I agree with you.. now that Ive had it a bit longer, i do find the battery could be better by handling the OS more efficient... I can play music for an hour.. or take a dozen images and the battery will drop say.. 5 or even 10% which is fine... but then itll drop another 10% when Im doing a simple task like using the web or reading news articles.. or even at night.. it may drop 10% when its "sleeping" which is odd..

I also find a great camera app is "Open Camera", it lacks a Shutter Speed control, but has every thing else... and for mre control.. theres always ProShot or FV-5..

Ive been trying to find something wrong with this device, so I can add it to my review.. to sound more balanced.. other than the erratic battery life.. I cant.find anything to say.. even call quality is clear and crisp.. :).

I suppose if I was being really picky.. I could say that Pure Android can be a little boring and uninspiring.. but a 3rd party launcher or custom rom over on XDA could solve that... ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia