A Way to Get Band 4 LTE back After 4.2.2 OTA

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
That is normal for your Hspa+ signal to be stronger especially since tmo just brought out lte so its in the early stages.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

thegadgeteur

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Trying to see if I have the correct band in my area for LTE on AT&T. Used these APN settings and am not able to get any data whatsoever. Do I need to have AT&T re-add an LTE data plan to my plan? I thought using a different APN would be good enough.

Name: AT&T PTA
APN: pta
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS: Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS: Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Type: default,mms,supl
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4/IPv6

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Trying to see if I have the correct band in my area for LTE on AT&T. Used these APN settings and am not able to get any data whatsoever. Do I need to have AT&T re-add an LTE data plan to my plan? I thought using a different APN would be good enough.

Name: AT&T PTA
APN: pta
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS: Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS: Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN Type: default,mms,supl
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4/IPv6

You realize that ATT only uses Band 4 LTE in very, very few niche markets, right? Generally speaking, the N4 will not work on ATT LTE, only Tmobile's LTE.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think only about 2 or 3 markets att has band 4 lte if I'm not mistaken.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
yes. And I want to see if my market is one of those
Nexus 4 AT&T LTE support in limited markets | BGR

"...Android Police notes that if you own a Nexus 4 and live in Phoenix, Raleigh, San Juan, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Chicago or Charlotte, you might want to see if you can pick up on AT&T?s LTE services, since the carrier owns the rights to AWS spectrum in those markets."

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Worked for me, sorta

Here are the steps I took to install.

1) Flash .27 or .33 (I did .33) in a custom recovery from ConTejas's link above. And be sure to grab the .48 one too in case you want to roll back (up?) to the latest one.
2) Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > T-Mobile US > APN > fast.t-mobile.com > Menu > Save
3) Go to the dialer > *#*#4636#*#* > Phone Information > Set Preferred Network Type > LTE/GSM auto (PRL) > hit the back button until you are back the home screen
(Don't select LTE only or you won't be able to make calls or get text messages)
4) If you have TMO 4G in your area you'll see your signal drop and pick back up with a 4G indicator. Turn off Wifi if you can't see the indicator.

When you reboot, you gotta set the preferred network back up, the APN setting will stick though. I heard some place that you can make the network type stick with a build.prop tweak but I haven't looked into that yet.
After reading this I wonder if I was having problems because I didn't change any APN settings or because I kept trying to select LTE/CDMA rather than LTE/GSM. After a quick search I reached the conclusion that T-Mobile uses WCDMA and GSM.

I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the flashing and using adb so I'll be trying this again soon.

Thanks!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
After reading this I wonder if I was having problems because I didn't change any APN settings or because I kept trying to select LTE/CDMA rather than LTE/GSM. After a quick search I reached the conclusion that T-Mobile uses WCDMA and GSM.

I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the flashing and using adb so I'll be trying this again soon.

Thanks!

no problem

it took reading through a thread on XDA to get the apn part. I missed that the first time too.

I've realized that in at least the DC/Baltimore area "rolled out" doesn't mean that every TMO tower has LTE. At home and near my house i can find a few towers that have it but at work where I always get full HSPA+ because I literally site about 25 yards from the tower, I don't get any LTE. I'm guessing that tower isn't rocking LTE yet.

I gave up on it for now and rolled back to the current radio but in a few weeks, after they have a chance to polish things up, I'll give it another try. overall the experience still feels like a hack job, and that's fine, but to me, reliable service trumps what at least so far has only been a marginal speed increase over HSPA+. It's still damn cool that it's even possible though and i'm hoping that somehow they make it a legit LTE device. Doubt that'll happen but I can hope :)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I'm a noob. If I do this won't the entire phone be back to 4.2.1 or do the images contain a means to roll back the radio only?

The images contain a single img of the radio. If you pull the out and only push them then the system will remain at 4.2.2. If you push the whole image though, yes you'll be back to 4.2.1.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Worked for me, sorta
2) Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > T-Mobile US > APN > fast.t-mobile.com > Menu > Save
Do you have that particular link?

After flashing the radio is there another APN called fast.t-mobile.com?

Thanks.

Thank God last time I tried data still worked so I could rely on GrooVe IP and set up missed calls from my regular number to forward to it.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you have that particular link?

After flashing the radio is there another APN called fast.t-mobile.com?

Thanks.

Thank God last time I tried data still worked so I could rely on GrooVe IP and set up missed calls from my regular number to forward to it.

No, you have to add one, or edit the one there

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's a thought. When 5.0 rolls out will they go ahead an re-activate the LTE, or will they find a way to make sure you can't roll back to the .33 and .27 radio imgs with that update? Needless to say my N4 has been taken off of auto update.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Here's a thought. When 5.0 rolls out will they go ahead an re-activate the LTE, or will they find a way to make sure you can't roll back to the .33 and .27 radio imgs with that update? Needless to say my N4 has been taken off of auto update.

I really don't think we'll see official support. I hope I'm wrong. I just don't think the hardware is there to make the experience optimal.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Haha even though I ALREADY knew it was gonna happen Google already stated that the n4 is turning into the n4g as in official late support on 4.2.2. N4 owners should get an update shortly.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
HAHA the writer might was joking or IS HE??? Its not like lte dosnt work on it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LordNikonX