Advice on buying a Chromebook

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I bought the new Acer Chromebook R13 earlier this week, and I am in love with this thing. After years of owning different Windows laptops, it's really refreshing to own something so simple and trouble free. However, I need a little more oomph than what this provides, since I'm using it to drive a second monitor and things slow down very quickly. Not sure if this is due to the processor or the smaller amount of RAM, but there's no way to upgrade either one. I was wondering if there is a Chromebook that matches my below needs:

- Android apps (beta is fine)
- 8GB RAM, or user-upgradable RAM
- 360 degree hinge
- Touchscreen
- Good quality keyboard and trackpad

I'd also prefer a backlit keyboard, but that's rare. I'm not entirely sure what to ask for in terms of a processor, but "MOAR POWER" is always a good bet. I'm happy to wait things out with the current Acer, since I have until Feb 15 to return it, thanks to Best Buy's holiday return policy. That'll be well after new models are announced at CES.

Any thoughts?

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Ended up getting the HP Chromebook G1 with an M5 for only $450 refurbished. I do wish it was a two in one, but otherwise it's been fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attila