After Nougat 7.0 Upgrade, Random App Shortcuts (Internal & SD) Disappear After Reboot

the1darknight

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S7 Edge (Model# SM-G935P) just upgraded to Android 7.0 Nougat yesterday, and after EVERY reboot random app shortcuts (both on my SD and internal) will disappear. I have had this phone for over a year with Android 6 and 6.0.1 Marshmallow on it and NEVER had this happen.

This does not appear to be a "you didn't move everything off your SD card, re-format it, and set it as Internal Storage" issue, because I also have many all-internal apps shortcuts that this is also happening with, as well as with some on-SD apps.

I saw on some other forum to try to reset the font to induce the screen to reset (after putting all the shortcuts back the way I wanted them), and that reduced the number of app shortcuts that disappear on reboot, but it's still annoying as hell to have to manually put the ones that do disappear back after EVERY reboot. Rebooting is sometimes the quick way to clear a notification that is annoying that won't swipe away--- this used to not be a problem because there used to be task-killer apps that actually worked, but no longer, so a reboot is so quick these days that it's easier to just reboot.

So as many posts as I see here and in other website forums with app shortcuts disappearing, when are the Android people going to get the clue that they need to fix this OS bug? As someone in the software industry, I love it when software advances are pushed out the door without regression real-world testing to ensure BASIC FUNCTIONALITY like the app shortcuts staying persistent after reboots isn't broken in the name of "progress." Geez, we just want the shortcuts to stay there----Is that too much to ask?

----------------UPDATE: More digging found this little nugget on Android's developer site here:
https://code.google.com/p/android/i... Priority Owner Summary Stars Reporter Opened

Evidently, as "Issue 227324: Dynamic App Shortcuts don't appear in Launcher in some conditions" states, the OP has narrowed it down to that the issue is with Google's launchers, both the Now and the Pixel Launchers. He demonstrated that by using a different 3rd-party launcher app like Action Launcher, this solves the issue of apps shortcuts disappearing: "Third party launchers such as Action Launcher behave correctly by showing the shortcuts in this case too."

It's late and I won't install Action Launcher to test this hypothesis for my case until later today. :p:p

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000