Alarm app screwed me over...

BadPeekSell

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Alarm doesn't work when phone off. Sad.

I had the opposite happen to me with my OLD Nokia 6620 - the alarm would go off even when the phone was turned off. The symbian OS was so messed up on that phone (it was like 10 years old) that I couldn't find a way to turn the alarm off... So I had to remove the battery for it to die, and rest in peace, finally... :cool:

Coming back to the original topic - does anyone know the name of the clock/alarm app? (its process name, etc.)

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
A friend that works for Verizon told me there is an acknowledged problem with the native alarm program and currently no fix for it. I have not had any problems personally but it definitely worries me.

That is NOT true. I am on several Android/Incredible forums, and 98% of the reason why the alarm clock wasn't working for people was due to the task killer auto killing the alarm clock app. This is a user issue and not a issue with VZW/HTC. Get rid of the task killer as it does no good for your phone but create issues.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Alarm doesn't work when phone off. Sad.

Generally when you turn the power off to something it doesn't work anymore. These phones don't do like a blackberry and go into a soft power off where they are in more of a sleep mode they actually turn off.

Task killers killing the process sounds more logical to me than anything. I don't use one and my alarm goes off every morning, every morning since I've had the phone in fact, but I have an alarm clock setup 15 minutes behind it just in case.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem and realized it was ATK killing it. I set it to ignore canceling the alarm and it's not failed me since.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
A friend that works for Verizon told me there is an acknowledged problem with the native alarm program and currently no fix for it. I have not had any problems personally but it definitely worries me.

And I bet this same friend told you to use a task killer as well. ;)

DON'T (well don't unless you read Phil's article about the intelligent way to use them). They aren't needed with Android. Haven't use the one I have on my Droid in months and have not even bothered to install one on my Incredible. Droid battery life is better than it has ever been since I stopped.

Here's another good link I found in another thread. FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android ? Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, unless you know EXACTLY(HEAVY EMPHASIS) what an app does and EXACTLY(HEAVY EMPHASIS, AGAIN) what it affects - whether its basic functions of the phone to other apps that may be connected with it - you should NOT use a task killer. It will give you more problems than help.

Android is very efficient in handling its own task killing and just because an app is opened in the background does NOT mean its using processing power as it can be throttled to essentially nothing. In fact, most of the time killing an app and having it start up again use MORE processing power than having it sit idle. Unless the app being questioned is constantly sending data packets/syncing, it will not affect your battery life. As for the RAM issue, again, Android is very efficient in handling this. It does a terrific job trafficing RAM to where its needed, and only where its needed.

Saiyajin

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I almost always have more than one alarm clock set in the morning to wake me up. One on the phone, and a separate one to make sure, in case the phone alarm doesn't work. Agreed, it's a pain, but beats the scowls I get going in late. :)

easy1jay

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Same here, alarm on my phone. My old digital clock I had before I even had a cell phone sits in my bathroom to go off twenty minutes later, just in case I don't want to wake up.

eazid

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hah.. well, I have only really used the Inc. alarm twice (both times it worked). But, now, I turn my phone off and charge it at night. So, guess what I have to wake me up - the BlackBerry Tour! That's right. Tour went from my primary phone to an alarm clock.

I never thought of that. Might have to bring my 8330 out of mothballs for this reason to test that out. It has a charging dock! Lol

I almost always have more than one alarm clock set in the morning to wake me up. One on the phone, and a separate one to make sure, in case the phone alarm doesn't work. Agreed, it's a pain, but beats the scowls I get going in late. :)

That's the truth.

sspence

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I am guilty of using ATK, that will stop this morning. The alarm clock failed me today. One thing I noticed when I finally woke up, was that the clock had to "catch up". The clock displayed 12:31am, then quickly corrected itself.

I have noticed this clock lag for a couple days now, but this is the first time the alarm failed me. Is the possibility of the two being related?

Again, yes I have ATK installed, but I am removing it as I type.

Also, wondering if anyone else has the clock lag?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The clock lag is just visual. Android with the screen off doesn't process any screen drawings to save power. So the lag you are seeing is normal.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm a pretty heavy sleeper at times. I didn't think my alarm had went off the first day I had the phone. Thank god for backups! I forgot to place a check mark to activate it, doh!