Alcatel Pixi Tablet memory used up?

Rufus1979

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
I have an old 10" tablet running android 5.0 and only 8 GB rom and a 32 GB SD card, the only thing wrong with it is that there is no memory left for another app, I keep all pictures and files cloud storage , there are apps that came installed that I can't delete so could I reinstal android with only the apps I want and free up space ?

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the General Help forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Which tablet do you have? You mean that you have 8 GB ROM (i.e., internal storage). Devices with that little internal storage are very limited in terms of app installation, especially these days, considering how app size continues to grow and grow. If your device allows you to format the SD card as Internal Storage, then that may allow you to install more apps, but doing so increases the risk for the system crashing, since SD cards are inherently much less reliable than internal storage.

8 GB devices are only good for very basic use. If you want to install more than a few apps, you really need to consider a new device with at least 32 GB of storage.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
8 GB devices are only good for very basic use. If you want to install more than a few apps, you really need to consider a new device with at least 32 GB of storage.

I concur, as I have an 8GB LG Tab F my ex gifted me that only has a couple of apps that are now no longer supported, and barely supports any media usage, even. It's an endless fight to do anything on it, and I upgraded to a 32 GB Amazon Fire Tablet that functions a lot better.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's tough enough to get by on my Lenovo Tab 4 8" with 16 GB of internal storage. It does support Adoptable Storage, but I've never wanted to go that route in case the SD card fails (which it inevitably would).

Rufus1979

Sep 22, 2019
Visit site
Its an Alcatel Pixi 8079 , I only use it for mobile internet access, YouTube , Amazon, I player ect , but there are at least 12 apps that came with it that can't be uninstalled by me like Facebook, news, weather, hangouts ect so I'm thinking I could reinstall a version of android without all this ?

I just want to squeeze on a couple more apps like my bank ect.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, you can't install a different version of Android unless you root the device and find a custom ROM that somebody developed for that specific device -- the forums at XDA-Developers.com is a good resource for that kind of thing, but I still wouldn't recommend it for a novice. If you root a device, you can also uninstall preinstalled or system apps, but that can also get you into trouble, since some preinstalled apps may be necessary for certain basic functions, and uninstalling them might cause problems.

Apart from rooting, you can also go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, then select one of the unwanted apps, and see if you can Disable it. Disabling uninstalls all updates, then prevents the app from opening into RAM or updating from the Play Store. Since updated apps are often larger than the original app, this may save you a little bit of space.