Alternative to Action Memo widget on lolipop?

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I just updated to lolipop today and as some others have mentioned before me - action memo is now integrated into s-note.

I'm looking for an alternative widget that I can have on my homescreen, tap once, write using the stylus and save. I also liked that I could easily view all of my memos with one click from within the action memo widget.

I've tried about a dozen or more different note apps/widgets but none of them seem to have what I want. Most, if not all, wanted me to type instead of writing with the stylus. Or their widgets act like the integrated s-note app where I have to click and open it then click a couple or more times before I can write anything.

I often have to take notes down rapidly and the original action memo was perfect for that so I would like to find something that works just as well.

Hopefully I have explained my needs well enough. Oh, and I don't mind paying for an app if it will give me what I'm looking for.

Thanks very much :)

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I just updated to lolipop today and as some others have mentioned before me - action memo is now integrated into s-note.

I'm looking for an alternative widget that I can have on my homescreen, tap once, write using the stylus and save. I also liked that I could easily view all of my memos with one click from within the action memo widget.

I've tried about a dozen or more different note apps/widgets but none of them seem to have what I want. Most, if not all, wanted me to type instead of writing with the stylus. Or their widgets act like the integrated s-note app where I have to click and open it then click a couple or more times before I can write anything.

I often have to take notes down rapidly and the original action memo was perfect for that so I would like to find something that works just as well.

Hopefully I have explained my needs well enough. Oh, and I don't mind paying for an app if it will give me what I'm looking for.

Sarks.

I don't have an answer for you Sarks, but for me Lollipop has screwed up several things I liked.
I don't know if you used Scrapbook but I used it alot and now it's worthless!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 "Size Does Matter!"

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You may know this already, but you can just double tap with the S-pen on the homescreen and your action memos will come up. If you want a new memo, then you click the + button.

There is also action memo in air command.

An alternative is also to create a shortcut for a memo on your homescreen for one tap access. You can just create a new memo and write anything on it - a short line or a letter or word - just anything so that you can save it (or use an existing one). Then once it is in your list of memos, long-press on it and select it. Then hit Menu - Add shortcut to home. That will add it to your homescreen. When you tap on it from the homescreen, it will open up ready for writing on it. Now if you don't want to keep writing on the same memo, then you'd have to create a new one.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
You may know this already, but you can just double tap with the S-pen on the homescreen and your action memos will come up. If you want a new memo, then you click the + button.

There is also action memo in air command.

An alternative is also to create a shortcut for a memo on your homescreen for one tap access. You can just create a new memo and write anything on it - a short line or a letter or word - just anything so that you can save it (or use an existing one). Then once it is in your list of memos, long-press on it and select it. Then hit Menu - Add shortcut to home. That will add it to your homescreen. When you tap on it from the homescreen, it will open up ready for writing on it. Now if you don't want to keep writing on the same memo, then you'd have to create a new one.

Jalopiejoe - sorry you're having so many issues with lolipop. I know how frustrating it can be. When I went from JB to the first version of KK my battery life plummeted and I was having a weird screen issue (it would dim when the screen would time out but if I pressed the screen it stayed dim). Thankfully the second version of KK resolved those issues, so - I was nervous about updating to LP. Thus far, besides the loss of the action memo widget, things are okay for me.

JPR, yes I know of those but compared to what I had with the action memo widget the choices I have now are not exactly what I need. I tried just saving the 1x1 widget that they have now - but if nothing us written on it then it disappears from the home screen and I need to either remember to write something on it or add it back. I also liked the ability to scroll through my previous memos with one swipe. Seems a little silly to remove the big widget but still have the tiny 1x1 widget.

So, as sort of a replacement I am using an Evernote widget that allows me to click once and start writing as well as to scroll back to previous notes. So far it is doing all that I need it to do.

Thank you for helping out :) I really appreciate all the help I get from everyone on these forums!

Sarks.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Getting to know Microsoft One Note / Quick Note. Along with the new Outlook app, One Drive and Bing on the same MS account, it seems very, very good.

6527b1e16152f702898440d69c0d1328.jpg
a99231c2ea0055877e430f91a9ee02f6.jpg
6a21962202fcf4549d6260f4ff582667.jpg

pictureit

May 3, 2015
Visit site
You are so right. I miss my action memo. What is the point of having a phone designed for notes if you have clicked 50 million times to get were u need to be just like any other app shortcut.and then all I get is a 2x2 screen shot pinned to my home screen. I can do that without the stupid app. The best word I have for this "upgrade" is FAIL. If I wanted an s 5 I would have bought one. If I hadn't paid for the phone outright I would be very tempted to just throw it in the garbage. Sorry I couldn't be any help but I am struggling with the same thing.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You are so right. I miss my action memo. What is the point of having a phone designed for notes if you have clicked 50 million times to get were u need to be just like any other app shortcut.and then all I get is a 2x2 screen shot pinned to my home screen. I can do that without the stupid app. The best word I have for this "upgrade" is FAIL. If I wanted an s 5 I would have bought one. If I hadn't paid for the phone outright I would be very tempted to just throw it in the garbage. Sorry I couldn't be any help but I am struggling with the same thing.

Why aren't you using Air Command? That's as quick as anyone could want and you don't even need to go to the homescreen first. You can directly open Action Memo from anywhere with that.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Why aren't you using Air Command? That's as quick as anyone could want and you don't even need to go to the homescreen first. You can directly open Action Memo from anywhere with that.

[Replying to several of you]

Madd: Thanks for pointing me to OneNote. After playing around with it and seeing how it sets up current notes as well as previous ones I've actually decided I like that more than Evernote for ongoing notes I make.

Pictureit: yes I'm a little bummed that the big widget has been removed. I started off with S-note for everything then I discovered and became addicted to using action memo.

JPR: I do still use air command/pressing the pen button for writing new notes within action memo. For new notes that works perfect, but not so much for adding to notes, accessing pervious notes quickly.

I have a question for you all though as I feel like I'm losing my mind! Has the 1x1 widget now been removed too? It's gone from my homepage and I don't see it on the widget page?

I've included a couple of screenshots of what I see on the widget page(s) for s-note. I thought perhaps the "sticky note" above the s-note option was maybe it but after trying it - it is not.

Also, continuing to be a pain in the arse! on the s-note option where there is the option to click on the pen (circles in the photo included) is there a way to have that open Action memo instead of s-note? I had a look around but couldn't find such option.

Thanks again for the helpful advice, commiseration and suggestions. I really appreciate it all :)

Sarks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-02-23-50-14-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-02-23-50-14-1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_2015-05-02-23-48-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-02-23-48-08.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 18

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
sarky, i don't see a 1x1 widget on my phone. You can click on the yellow Action Memo pad that is just below the pen you circled in that widget to be taken to your existing action memos. You can also double tap on the homescreen to be taken to all your existing action memos. I don't think you can change the behavior of clicking on the pen you circled.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
@Sarks - You've given One Note a longer test drive than I have, then.
I can't wean myself off Color Note, which doesn't use a pen at all.

I haven't got Lolliflop so can't advise on the rest.

Uzairshariff

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Sarks.

Try quick memo_paperlpane app from froumi on play store...

Skipperstevei

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

Sarks.

Skipperstevei

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I've tried all the apps on the store and none do what the action memo widget did and while you can get on using air command on the note 3 you now can't use the widget as a memory jogger or task list without opening the app. Bring back the original widget and stop telling me you are enhancing my user expirience when you are not!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak