Am I alone thinking that the LG G6 doesn't get enough coverage?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
And it's open again!

So I just read a headline that says that Samsung sold 5 million units of the S8 in one month. That's incredible. Price doesn't seem to deter too many people. Now that the big four (at least here in the states) give you a monthly payment purchase option, more phones are being sold regardless of price. Marketing works.

The LG G6 saves you about $10 a month, give or take $1 or $2. I'm a bit frugal so I rather save that money. But either way, the G6 is the better phone for me overall. The processor doesn't make enough of a difference to be worth the extra money along with Bluetooth 5 etc...the only feature the S8 has that I wish I had on my G6 was the DeX. I think it's awesome and it would surely make my work life easier. I've had Samsung devices before. Every one of them has slowed down significantly over time. My wife's S7 is driving her mad. And the build structure (not quality, as they're both built very well). The LG G6 is nicer to hold and feels more sturdy. I carry it without a case. The S8S on the other hand feels too delicate. The peace of mind is also worth saving the money with the G6. I love my G6 and I'm sure the S8 is a great phone.

LG just needs to market better. Through everything they have into their next flagship. And I say the next one because specs DO MATTER to most people when they examine the phones side by side. LG needs to do something just as amazing next year and best Samsung in hardware and marketing. I would love to see it.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It's business and as such talking about a phone that's not as popular would not drive web traffic which would result in a decline in revinue. This would ultimately affect the whole site and forums negativily. No agenda, just talk about what's hot and the LG is a great phone but it's not hot. I'm switching back but that doesn't change the fact the most popular phone on the planet right now is the S8 line.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just read through this thread and wanted to throw my 2 cents in. First disclaimer, I have not owned a Samsung phone, ever. I spent 5 minutes with it when I was in the carrier store.

First off, I want to caution by saying something is ever objectively better when there are so many contributors to how good something is. I had a OnePlus One, which had an 801 chip. When i upgraded to the Priv, which had an 808, I thought i had upgraded. Well we all know how the 808/810 chips turned out, they were a dumpster fire. From my experience i can easily say the 801 was superior.

Not to mention now days when chips like the 625 are out, it makes this whole objectively/subjective argument even more confusing. Sure, the 835 has better benchmarks, runs games better, than the 625, but the 625 gets way better battery life. So now you have to start saying something is better because it does what you want it to do, which makes it subjective. The 625 is superior to many people because it gives them the battery life that nothing else can.

This is why i bought the G6, none of the reasons were price, as they both had BOGO offers at AT&T.

-Camera: I never realized how much I would use a wide angle lens. I very rarely shoot things far off, so a dual camera like the iPhone doesn't do me any good. I need wide angle.
-Flat screen: I always use a screen protector. I've tried going naked, but always end up with scratches. The Priv's curved screen couldn't take a glass screen protector, so i had to use a wet application one. After nearly 2 years of typing on a rubber screen, I couldn't wait to get back to a flat screen with a glass screen protector. I will say i really miss the AMOLED screens deep blacks, but i prefer the flat screen over AMOLED at this point.

These were my main two reasons I picked the G6 over the s8. Definitely my opinion. The following are things that I liked about the LG that were icing on the cake, but wasn't a factor in my decision.

-Fingerprint sensor: This was going to be my first phone with a fingerprint sensor. I much preferred LG's implementation over Samsung
-Home button: I'm just used to on screen buttons the traditional way. I played around with Samsung's home button, and although I'm not going to say i disliked it, it was just different. Again, not the reason i didn't go with s8, just an observation.

I will say it does bug my inner nerd that i bought an 821 when an 835 was available, but again after being burned (pun most definitely intended) by the 808, going with a proven chip as opposed to one that is just being released gives me some comfort, especially considering now days the chipset iterations are closer than ever.

EDIT:. I cannot believe i just wrote that novel and didn't mention the most vigorously debated issue, the storage. Bottom line, it sucks LG didn't start at 64gb. I totally agree that it really isn't an issue as long as i have an SD card, but I do miss not ever having to worry about anything when I used a 64 device. I am not going to justify 32 over 64, but i will say the few headaches i may run into a year or so down the line, causing me to clean my storage (let's be honest, we all need to do that regardless of free space) it still doesn't change the main two points I bought the G6 in the first place i listed above.

Last edited:

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP is on to something. Heres a recent story on AC about the "best device for gaming" 2 Samsungs, an HTC and a Moto Z Play.

No Oneplus, no Pixel, no G6, no Huawei Mate 9 etc etc... Kind of a ridiculous article imo.

Best Phone For Gamers | Android Central
Hard for me to knock articles like that. Let's be honest, almost all phones now days are good for gaming (but I mean come on, if you want to really game on the go get a Nintendo switch!) I haven't read the article but I'm glad they threw in a non-traditional pick in the Z Play. Great for gaming because it will last forever.

Funny how all of this stuff goes back to the objective/subjective stuff. Any kind of comparison or review needs to be viewed as subjective. Only objective writings are news articles reporting things, and I'm ok with that.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hard for me to knock articles like that. Let's be honest, almost all phones now days are good for gaming (but I mean come on, if you want to really game on the go get a Nintendo switch!) I haven't read the article but I'm glad they threw in a non-traditional pick in the Z Play. Great for gaming because it will last forever.

Funny how all of this stuff goes back to the objective/subjective stuff. Any kind of comparison or review needs to be viewed as subjective. Only objective writings are news articles reporting things, and I'm ok with that.

The biggest issue I have with that article is throwing in 2 Samsung when one cancels the other out and there are MUCH better devices for gaming.

Theres a great video showing the G6, S8, Pixel and iPhone playing GTA. The S8 was horrible, G6 not much better but the Pixel was perfect. Why use the same brand for 2 of 4 phones when the S8 clearly cancels out the S7 Edge? Its pretty easy to find some serious bias in the reviewers choices. Its becoming a common trend in AC articles.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hah! When I heard there was some video with the s8 playing GTA bad I had to see it for myself. The game has a medicore fps, graphic glitches, and even crashed.... who does the reviewer blame?

The phone! Holy crap what a joke... the app needs to be updated. Also there is a reason we aren't using rockstars games in phone benchmarks.. the game is a pretty bad performer. The group who did the port didn't do a great job.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hah! When I heard there was some video with the s8 playing GTA bad I had to see it for myself. The game has a medicore fps, graphic glitches, and even crashed.... who does the reviewer blame?

The phone! Holy crap what a joke... the app needs to be updated. Also there is a reason we aren't using rockstars games in phone benchmarks.. the game is a pretty bad performer. The group who did the port didn't do a great job.
Yet it played just fine on the pixel.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Off topic, but Star Wars KOTOR was incredible on my Note 4. So I can't imagine how it would play on more modern devices.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Aaaaaand? Pixel is how old now?

Not as old as the S7 Edge and that further proves my point. Why create an article with 4 phones, 2 of which are Samsungs and label it "Best Phone For Gamers" when they clearly arent even in the top 3 devices for gaming?

Did you read the article or naw?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How would one define best device for gaming? Best display + fast opening, good background processing management and no stuttering?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
How would one define best device for gaming? Best display + fast opening, good background processing management and no stuttering?

Smooth game play
Battery Efficiency
Display quality
Sound Quality

For me, in that order. If you want to limit it to 4 phones you have to consider oneplus 3t, pixel, mate 9, iPhone, Moto Z Play. I dont see how you put the samsung in there when the main scenario is smooth game play. Play MLB 9 innings on an S8 and tell me how it does after 4 innings. Or GTA which all phones I listed play great. If you really want to list the S7 Edge then why not the Axon 7 considering it has probably the best speakers on the market and same screen quality.

You cant throw in 2 Samsungs and base you're entire claim on screen quality which is what the review did. The HTC was based on screen responsiveness and that was it. The Moto was based solely on battery.

Edit, it wasnt even an S7 Edge, it was an S7 lol. That misses the mark on 3 of the 4 top requirements.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Smooth game play
Battery Efficiency
Display quality
Sound Quality

For me, in that order. If you want to limit it to 4 phones you have to consider oneplus 3t, pixel, mate 9, iPhone, Moto Z Play. I dont see how you put the samsung in there when the main scenario is smooth game play. Play MLB 9 innings on an S8 and tell me how it does after 4 innings. Or GTA which all phones I listed play great. If you really want to list the S7 Edge then why not the Axon 7 considering it has probably the best speakers on the market and same screen quality.

You cant throw in 2 Samsungs and base you're entire claim on screen quality which is what the review did. The HTC was based on screen responsiveness and that was it. The Moto was based solely on battery.

Edit, it wasnt even an S7 Edge, it was an S7 lol. That misses the mark on 3 of the 4 top requirements.

I agree with your criteria, but haven't used most of those devices to know which ones perform best. I do remember being pretty shocked about how awesome the Moto Z Play performs.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I agree with your criteria, but haven't used most of those devices to know which ones perform best. I do remember being pretty shocked about how awesome the Moto Z Play performs.

The Moto was surprisingly great if Im being honest. I dont like the design but I didnt expect it to be as good as it was. The 3t has been well documented as being a gaming beast even with todays flagships. The Mate 9, while not as widely known, handled gaming unbelievably well with a huge battery and stereo speakers. It was my favorite gaming phone due to those features and a massive screen that has incredible quality. iPhones always do pretty well in gaming so thats kind of a no brainer.

The S8 is great for alot of people but I find it really out there to label it "the best phone for gaming" when it only ticks one criteria box on one of the most popular games in the play store.

That goes back to the op's question and based on some of the reviews and articles Ive seen lately Im inclined to agree. It definitely seems that some articles and writers are a bit jaded in their research.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Not as old as the S7 Edge ...
Did you read the article or naw?

Oh..hmm.. I was watching the youtube video that had a guy running GTA (sa?) on all the phones, including the galaxy EIGHT, not 7. Not sure why anyone would be covering the 7 here. but yea, not referring to any article.

So yea... 8 played GTA unstable and the frame rate was very average, clearly the game needs an update to iron out some issues on the S8, but the tester was blaming the phone for the issues which is silly. Especially when we are talking about a new aspect ratio.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
The S8 is great for alot of people but I find it really out there to label it "the best phone for gaming" when it only ticks one criteria box on one of the most popular games in the play store.

For me android gaming is a sore spot, and part of it has to go long with my agreement with you that saying any phone is better for gaming is just stupid. %99 of games are designed around average graphics to run on average and budget phones.

I think the S8 specs will become very helpful if and when VR gaming hits a stride, but for modern gaming even mid-high tier phones like the moto z or any of the ONEplus phones do great and can max out the graphics in the current crop of games.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
The "Best Overall Android Phone of 2017" sure has had its share of issues since launch eh?

Now a Bluetooth problem? Lol

I like the new forum thread quick reply feature btw. Nice 👍

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The "Best Overall Android Phone of 2017" sure has had its share of issues since launch eh?

Now a Bluetooth problem? Lol

I like the new forum thread quick reply feature btw. Nice 👍

Too true. If it was any other phone it would have been slammed for all the problems it's had so far. My s8 Plus never had any of the red tinted screen issues or random reboots but my bluetooth range and stability definitely stank and my smartwatches etc miraculously started working a longer ranges again as soon as I jumped to the G6

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
S8 coverage here is due to clicks. It's the most popular Android out there, so when people Google about it, AC wants that money from clicks. Call it click bait if you will, but that's what it is.

That said, all the issues that are plaguing the S8 won't change the coverage, as it will still be the most popular Android around. I mean, what went on with the Note 7 would destroy most phone manufacturers due to the sales impact. Not Samsung though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disappointer