Am i the only one who hates jb voice actions???!!!

Grahaman27

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Ever since Jelly bean I have not used my voice commands NEAR as much. Its not as fast, not as pretty, and honestly not as easy. On ICS it didnt take up the whole screen... now its like you are opening a new app...

I would feel a little bit better if sending texts part was a little different... JB cant interpret names as well, and when you say something like "text josh hey ill be there soon" and then you want to change it to say "hey Ill be there in 30," it takes you out of the app and puts you in messaging with a blank message. VERY ANNOYING.

darkcloud2973

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
What ROM are you using? I was using Voice Search to call businesses I didn't know the number to all the time, but it suddenly stopped working on my phone. Now it just does a google search instead. Not sure if it's the rom I'm on or something to do with the recent Google Now update. Also, as an aside: I really hate that when you tell it to call a name in your address book, it still returns a google search at the bottom. The other day I said "Call Mom" and while it still made the call, directly under the call card was the search result "How to tell your mom you have started your period". Really, wtf?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You can get the buttons back with Nova launcher, but yeah, it has some quirks comapred to pre-goog-now. The pause timer for when it stops listening is much faster than before, causing the search/dial/command to go before you are done talking. Speeding up speech works, but then you run into the not-enunciating enough problem. I think it is more a matter of getting used to the changes, but I agree that I was more efficient with Voice Search.

On ICS ROMs, you can hack in Google Now and still have Voice Search there. Not sure how I got this, but it does work. I can bind my Nova Voice Search button to Voice Search, and still have Goog Now running. Of course, giving up the butter to do that. Just noting it, since it may be possible to do the reverse and get Voice Search hacked into JB.

valentino88

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a galaxy nexus with ICS and N7 with JB. There is no way ICS voice is better than JB voice imo. google now responds much much faster. I always use it to bring up an address on a map because who the heck wants to type all of that in with a virtual keyboard. Finding anything related to google maps you can expect voice to work a lot better.

Sounds like some version you have that just isn't working or some language setting is not working for you. I noticed that one time I tried switching to UK english, French and Chinese, google now does suck. My accent in the latter two are pretty good so I think google now is lacking in anything beyond U.S. english.

tyson.clarke

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a galaxy nexus with ICS and N7 with JB. There is no way ICS voice is better than JB voice imo. google now responds much much faster. I always use it to bring up an address on a map because who the heck wants to type all of that in with a virtual keyboard. Finding anything related to google maps you can expect voice to work a lot better.

Sounds like some version you have that just isn't working or some language setting is not working for you. I noticed that one time I tried switching to UK english, French and Chinese, google now does suck. My accent in the latter two are pretty good so I think google now is lacking in anything beyond U.S. english.

That's not really a fair comparison though is it? N7 with JB to Gnex?

I'm an Aussie living in Wisconsin, so I have learned to throw on a yankee accent. It recognizes pretty well.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
That's not really a fair comparison though is it? N7 with JB to Gnex?

I'm an Aussie living in Wisconsin, so I have learned to throw on a yankee accent. It recognizes pretty well.

Wait , I'm sorry I'm a bit confused, why is it that it isn't a fair comparison with Nexus 7 Ruinning JB to GN running ICS when you compared GN running JB to droid RAZR running ICS. Either was I really do believe it is your ROM. I updated to V5 of the droid vicious ROM and everything is great! Also I don't see how the search could be faster. It whas always been VERY fast whenever I use it on my N7 or GN, and its way faster than anything else out there IMO. But I guess we will see once you out up your video comparing the speed of the two.

tyson.clarke

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Actually it is your ROM. I am uploading video response now showing that these features work on my GN running JB

Edit: here it goes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuUuB_zJ2Ec&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I thought it was my rom too. I was skeptical that a Dev would bother with messing with gapps programming though. But I'm totally convinced it is the app. Certain things work all the time, and certain things just don't.

I've tried a bunch. A few Vicious, a couple CM9, CM10, AOSP - I'm having the same trouble with all of them. I'm tempted to think it's my phone - except ICS works just fine.

I'm a lowly VZW premium retailer rep, so I have fixed problems with contacts not syncing, and voice operation not working properly....only about a billion times - (eg. Did you know that Voice Search won't recognize on a Casio Commando when going over 17 Mph?)

I'll keep trying other ROMS, but in the meantime I'm going to try find a way to run JB with ICS Voice Search.

Cheers,
T

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was my rom too. I was skeptical that a Dev would bother with messing with gapps programming though. But I'm totally convinced it is the app. Certain things work all the time, and certain things just don't.

I've tried a bunch. A few Vicious, a couple CM9, CM10, AOSP - I'm having the same trouble with all of them. I'm tempted to think it's my phone - except ICS works just fine.

I'm a lowly VZW premium retailer rep, so I have fixed problems with contacts not syncing, and voice operation not working properly....only about a billion times - (eg. Did you know that Voice Search won't recognize on a Casio Commando when going over 17 Mph?)

I'll keep trying other ROMS, but in the meantime I'm going to try find a way to run JB with ICS Voice Search.

Cheers,
T

Hopefully you will get what you are looking for or maybe you should just wait for the offical OTA from verizon for the Gnex or get the latest leak and flash it (Want Jelly Bean JRO03O for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus? | Android Central) In the meantime though, I wouldnt mind seeing the comparison in speed between the ICS and JB on the two devices if you have the time ;-)

tyson.clarke

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully you will get what you are looking for or maybe you should just wait for the offical OTA from verizon for the Gnex or get the latest leak and flash it (Want Jelly Bean JRO03O for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus? | Android Central) In the meantime though, I wouldnt mind seeing the comparison in speed between the ICS and JB on the two devices if you have the time ;-)

Will do brother, soon as I get another phone to record it with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

tyson.clarke

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Dude...over it. Been messing with samsungs f*&ing drivers for two days now....I had Wug fresh installed on two computers and having driver issues...wanted to do an experiment on the JRO03O vs ICS...but I'm ready to throw everything against the wall now...

Going back to ICS.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I still blame sir I and apples thermal neclear whoring in the larceny office!!! Long pressing for a. Voice sear h most likely pattented I have a legacy phone buttons :) search button yay:) but I'm gonna upgrade in January any suggestions I'm all ears (at&t) I got unlimited data still not gonna give it up

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

It used to work in app...with a long press of search button...

:(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Lol. This. This is why They should have just kept the Capacitive buttons. The on-screen buttons waste screen real-estate, anyways, and are risky on OLED screens which suffer from image retention.

I use Samsung Voice Talk in lieu of ICS Voice Actions on my Skyrocket. It works better and it can post to Facebook and Twitter :)

Steve Kelley

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
my voice search had degraded in both search and navigations to about a minute. On this forum someone said to Manage Apps -- Voice Search --Clear Data , and this worked for me. I am back to instant results!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabsixfamily80