Android 8 - Developer Beta!

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Any issues like reported on earlier 7.1 like lag and freezing up? Looking at buying this phone but been seeing a lot of bad reviews. I like the specs and build quality but need a phone I can depend on for work.

I have not had any issues with freezing or slowdowns. It is fast and smooth. The only issue that is still not addressed is stuttering touch scrolling. If you slide your finger up or down without lifting it, it will be jittery. If you flick like I do while scrolling, it's smooth as silk. Word on Reddit is that they are working with Qualcomm to fix. Seems like essential is here to make an impact on the market. There will certainly be growing pains but I'm willing to stay and look forward to future updates and models. I see all other Android phones right now as "look a likes". Essential hit it out of the park with Design and they are almost Apple like of old, in thinking outside the box. Imo. The feel of this phone is worth minor bugs.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It works fine on Verizon. I'm using mine on Verizon. WiFi calling doesn't work (there have been a few reports it does - but I think those are flukes). I don't really care about WiFi calling. VOLTE works great and I have just as good reception as I had with my Pixel. I love my PH-1
I believe he was referring to One Plus 5T not compatible with Verizon.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Any issues like reported on earlier 7.1 like lag and freezing up? Looking at buying this phone but been seeing a lot of bad reviews. I like the specs and build quality but need a phone I can depend on for work.
I disliked the software on 7.1 even with all the updates because of the random freezing, hang ups etc and was more pronounced to me using other phones which are way smoother. After updating to Oreo beta it's actually been much better, still some minor stuff here and there but overall scrolling is much better, and at least till now I haven't seen the random hang up or freezing. I think once the stable version of Oreo drops it should be even better and finally be a great everyday experience device which will be daily driver worthy for me (minus the camera of course).

Torque_beast

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
It works fine on Verizon. I'm using mine on Verizon. WiFi calling doesn't work (there have been a few reports it does - but I think those are flukes). I don't really care about WiFi calling. VOLTE works great and I have just as good reception as I had with my Pixel. I love my PH-1

I was referring to the one plus 5t not working on Verizon but it’s good to know that you have the same reception as the pixel as that was another concern I had.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I was referring to the one plus 5t not working on Verizon but it’s good to know that you have the same reception as the pixel as that was another concern I had.

Oh gotcha! My bad for not picking that up. I have loved reading about the One Plus phones since the first one came out...unfortunately, I've been a Verizon customer all that time too...

morriea

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Although Nougat to Oreo upgrades do not mandate Project Treble, it looks like Essential is doing it anyway. This is a nice sign.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
anyone knows how to upgrade using a mac?

Download the Android Platform Tools to your Mac from Google's website. Then unzip it, go to that folder and use the adb commands as instructed on Essential's website.

Just make sure you navigate to the platform-tools directory and then use:

./adb sideload <path to the zip file>

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
To anyone running the Oreo beta... it's been a few weeks now, do you think it's ready for primetime?

We are waiting for the second beta build. Essential has been open telling there are issues with Bluetooth and battery drain in the beta. So I wouldn’t say prime time but it’s good as a daily driver. YMMV given that it’s still beta.

unmorphed

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site

Wifi Calling and Visual Voicemail are not available on Any non-Verizon phone.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
The next drop will likely be close to final. Given the timing I'd personally guess the final build to be ready in January.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
If Essential could somehow fix the haptic feedback with a software update, it would be really close to my perfect phone. Obviously the camera could be better, but I don't take enough pictures for that to matter.

Stinger4321

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If Essential could somehow fix the haptic feedback with a software update, it would be really close to my perfect phone. Obviously the camera could be better, but I don't take enough pictures for that to matter.
Just turn haptic off.. first thing i do is turn haptic and all touch sounds off when i get a new device or rom