Android - Android 4.1, Jelly Bean

silberj

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
There has to be some news someone has on this update for the Nexus??
What's the hold-up anyway.
Thanx.

Been running it for a couple of months now unless you're talking about something OTA, which may or may not happen, who knows?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
There has to be some news someone has on this update for the Nexus??
What's the hold-up anyway.
Thanx.

I have some news: Sprint is screwing us over by keeping us totally and completely in the dark. OTA, it MIGHT happen. In 2013...

silberj

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have some news: Sprint is screwing us over by keeping us totally and completely in the dark. OTA, it MIGHT happen. In 2013...

My best advice you just root your phone and install one. I recommend Maddoggin's Jellybean rom. Working flawlessly.

Kamin

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Sprint, the home of unlimited dial-up and fake Nexus - stay classy

Awesomesauce. And another round of "cutting-edge" metros get LTE whilst Austin remains on dial-up. I frankly no longer care what sprint's plans are to push a JB update. They're a hot mess and I'm outta there as soon as the next Nexus phone hits. =D

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
And another round of "cutting-edge" metros get LTE whilst Austin remains on dial-up.

yep - living in one of these "cutting-edge" metros (Dallas) - looking at sprint.com/coverage that shows LTE coverage in about 80% of the places that I visit, yet my GNex has had the privilege of connecting to a LTE network exactly twice - when I went looking for it at a sprint store.

Well, in all fairness, my phone connects to that LTE network for about 2 minutes every day when I pass by that spot near the sprint store on my way to work. I can see it connect, and the drop the LTE signal if I turn the phone on. My entire route shows LTE coverage all the way according to sprint's coverage maps

Yep - cutting-edge it is :D

You aren't missing much in Austin :)

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the LTE is super frustrating. I knew I wouldn't have it until the end of the year but seeing all the connection woes has me unimpressed. I could have switched to Verizon for example and had stellar 4G performance. I wanted the unlimited more at the time but 3G on Sprint should not be able to be called 3G.

Pretty positive next time around will be an unlocked phone through Google unless Sprint can change things around.

As for the Jelly Bean update, this is getting out of hand fast. I know I can root but I just don't want to go that route again. I bought a Nexus for the fast updates and it's just not happening.

silberj

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the LTE is super frustrating. I knew I wouldn't have it until the end of the year but seeing all the connection woes has me unimpressed. I could have switched to Verizon for example and had stellar 4G performance. I wanted the unlimited more at the time but 3G on Sprint should not be able to be called 3G.

Pretty positive next time around will be an unlocked phone through Google unless Sprint can change things around.

As for the Jelly Bean update, this is getting out of hand fast. I know I can root but I just don't want to go that route again. I bought a Nexus for the fast updates and it's just not happening.

The Nexus can be considered a dev phone exclusive to Google. It was meant to be rooted.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus can be considered a dev phone exclusive to Google. It was meant to be rooted.

I did the root thing last time around. I know it?s blasphemy to have a Nexus and not root it but I enjoy fairly stock Android, timely updates and a reliable device (I know there's some amazing roms out there). . There's nothing I do with a rooted phone though that the hassle is worth it to me anymore. Guess I'm getting old, haha. Had I gotten the GSM Nexus I'd have no issues. Wouldn't be worried about LTE and I would be updated already. Next time I know exactly what to do unless Sprint decides to actually get on board with the Nexus program. I mean why offer the phone if you're not going to support it how Google wants it to be supported. Verizon has been no better really at supporting this phone.

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Then someone needs to explain that to Verizon and sprint so they will stop voiding the warranties on rooted phones.

:D

Herennow

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Then someone needs to explain that to Verizon and sprint so they will stop voiding the warranties on rooted phones.

:D
Yeah! i have Sprint, don't really want to lose my warranty.
What would be the advantage of rooting the Nexus anyway?
Besides Jelly bean. Isn't the Nexus pretty good & bloat-free already?

Thanx for the replies by the way.l

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site

The nexus IS really good. Very solid. There are better phones out there spec wise and display wise. But for a stock experience (and I do have to agree that Touchwiz had some nice features that I miss, and some say the same for the other OEM variations) it's downright fast and stable.

As far as bloat, there simply isn't ANY on here. No Telenav, no ID, no whatever else I don't remember because I rooted my other phones to get rid of it as soon as I got home...

Unlocking and Rooting will allow you to install new roms based on ICS or JB that add some of those nice features back in, but the choice is yours in the end. And you can always come back to stock with Odin, and lock the bootloader back up so Sprint would not be any the wiser about what you've done if something starts to go downhill on you.

silberj

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

I have taken my rooted Nexus with custom rom to sprint for service (warranty) with no problem. Just sayin'.

Danf

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I have taken my rooted Nexus with custom rom to sprint for service (warranty) with no problem. Just sayin'.

I don't think Sprint really bothers to check but it looks like Verizon is starting to with their root checker they are starting to put on their phones.

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been with Sprint for 13 years, have two Nexus's on my contract, when the next Nexus comes out I will be moving to AT&T.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm tempted to buy my next Nexus direct from Google and use it on T-Mobile Monthly 4G Unlimited Everything No Contract $60/Month Plan.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm tempted to buy my next Nexus direct from Google and use it on T-Mobile Monthly 4G Unlimited Everything No Contract $60/Month Plan.

Are those unlimited plans for individuals or can you put that on a family plan?

Spruce1969

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I will definitely go the unlocked route and buy my next Nexus from Google. AT@T looks good though I don't think T-Mobile is in my area. Any ideas on GSM providers?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86