Android Auto Will Not Connect to Car

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, Google posted this on the AA board. I haven't received the update, but mine does work again.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for reporting this issue. The team has investigated this issue, and a fix is rolling out now. It may take a few days for the fix to reach everyone, so please let us know if you are still seeing this issue in a week. Thanks!

Please give us the link!

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
And then, without an explanation that I can figure out, Android Auto in my car connects to the phone, and works properly!

I'm pretty sure these are not the explanation:
  • The version of Android Auto in my phone did not change, it's the same as when I started this thread
  • The Infotainment System was not updated
  • I did not chant "abracadabra"
I'm sorry, I know this doesn't help anyone, but I cannot explain this.

And of course, it may stop working later today, so maybe I will keep my fingers crossed whenever I start the car.

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
And then, without an explanation that I can figure out, Android Auto in my car connects to the phone, and works properly!

I'm pretty sure these are not the explanation:
  • The version of Android Auto in my phone did not change, it's the same as when I started this thread
  • The Infotainment System was not updated
  • I did not chant "abracadabra"
I'm sorry, I know this doesn't help anyone, but I cannot explain this.

And of course, it may stop working later today, so maybe I will keep my fingers crossed whenever I start the car.
Same here. No updates or anything. Wild for sure

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I use AA wirelessly with Motorola M1 adapter , not sure if wireless has less trouble then cable
Wireless works great for me in my Ram provided I'm not connected to my VPN.

For those with issues, try wiping Android Auto's Cache/Data is setting up from scratch.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Wireless works great for me in my Ram provided I'm not connected to my VPN.

For those with issues, try wiping Android Auto's Cache/Data is setting up from scratch.

Yeah for some reason wireless doesn't give as much trouble, what happens when u use a VPN, wont connect?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah for some reason wireless doesn't give as much trouble, what happens when u use a VPN, wont connect?

Yep, won't connect and I get a big red screen. I've been surprised at how reliable it has been on my Ram. It's been more flawless than with my work iPhone and my wife's iPhone (but pretty solid overall).

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yep, won't connect and I get a big red screen. I've been surprised at how reliable it has been on my Ram. It's been more flawless than with my work iPhone and my wife's iPhone (but pretty solid overall).
Wonder if some members are using a VPN here with issues

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This is what it looks like.

r1Hea7p.jpg
And Android Auto fails to even start. This is on a 2022 Ram Limited w/ Uconnect 5, but I'd imagine it'd be a fairly standard thing across the board?

If you flip the VPN on after you're connected. It immediately breaks the connection. This is strictly on Wireless Android Auto on a factory head unit, so I'm not sure how it'd be with 3rd party selections.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is what it looks like.

View attachment 348132
And Android Auto fails to even start. This is on a 2022 Ram Limited w/ Uconnect 5, but I'd imagine it'd be a fairly standard thing across the board?

If you flip the VPN on after you're connected. It immediately breaks the connection. This is strictly on Wireless Android Auto on a factory head unit, so I'm not sure how it'd be with 3rd party selections.
Thanks for sharing

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Coming back to this after almost a year — the problem where Android Auto cannot connect has happened to me 3 times. Each time, I spent roughly an hour trying everything I could think of to force the connection to happen, and each time I failed to make it happen. But then some good news — I think I have come upon a solution, that has worked for me each time now.

I reset the car's infotainment system. Yes, there are drawbacks to doing this, you have to pair the phone bluetooth with the car bluetooth anew, and any customizations to the car's infotainment system are lost. But Android auto connects flawlessly.

In my car, there is a setting in the infotainment system menus that is "Factory Reset". This takes about 5 minutes, but that's what I do. In other cars, the reset may be done differently, but its worth a try.

Reactions: B. Diddy

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Coming back to this after almost a year — the problem where Android Auto cannot connect has happened to me 3 times. Each time, I spent roughly an hour trying everything I could think of to force the connection to happen, and each time I failed to make it happen. But then some good news — I think I have come upon a solution, that has worked for me each time now.

I reset the car's infotainment system. Yes, there are drawbacks to doing this, you have to pair the phone bluetooth with the car bluetooth anew, and any customizations to the car's infotainment system are lost. But Android auto connects flawlessly.

In my car, there is a setting in the infotainment system menus that is "Factory Reset". This takes about 5 minutes, but that's what I do. In other cars, the reset may be done differently, but its worth a try.
That's probably the best course of action. I know my Pixel 7 Pro has been pretty flawless with the factory wireless AA in my truck. I never deal with any of these issues, thankfully.

dj_paige

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
That's probably the best course of action.

I wouldn't say it that way. I would say it differently. I would say "probably the best course of action when the problem is the infotainment system". Exactly how to determine if the problem is the infotainment system is not clear to me, but after about an hour of trying stuff without success, resetting the infotainment system seems to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali