Android is Leaving me with little choice

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Ipods were designed to carry that much content, smartphones were not.

But...aren't smartphones replacing the iPod?

The tasks we ask of our phones are increasing, and streaming the cloud isn't always an option. Offline definitely should be an option, so the question is, how much storage is enough. I don't want SD cards, the GNex showed me the value of built in memory. I have 32, and sometimes I struggle.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Then why the hell do I see tons of music apps and companies make the phone able to read so many audio files and stick ear buds in the box and contract with headphones companies....

I respect all opinions but that was kinda silly. .

Lmao
Talk text Internet and entertainment. .... (smartphone)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Yes, talk, text, Internet, etc. Not dedicated music player. It's like saying why can't it do everything my PC does? Because it's not designed to.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
But...aren't smartphones replacing the iPod?

The tasks we ask of our phones are increasing, and streaming the cloud isn't always an option. Offline definitely should be an option, so the question is, how much storage is enough. I don't want SD cards, the GNex showed me the value of built in memory. I have 32, and sometimes I struggle.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

Hardware is trying to catch up to the technology. Just like batteries. We want the big, beautiful screens but they eat battery pretty quick. Some day batteries will last longer. Storage will increase.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, talk, text, Internet, etc. Not dedicated music player. It's like saying why can't it do everything my PC does? Because it's not designed to.

I misunderstood ur post ...I edited my repost but u had replied...I get what ur saying. .what im wishing for is only an issue in America. .64gb internal memory phones are out ..just not here

Last edited:

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
All I ask or wish is the OEMs and carrier stop cutting us short and release the 64gb versions in the US that they announce at launch. ..thats it ..the phones are there...just not fpr us..US..I always wondered why I would leave android. .and if a 5"ish iphone comes out...and we are in the same state with this...im gone
(I don't like apple. ..lol but im not jumping through hoops when there are options)

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Only One Major OEM supports expandable memory, ok fine then give me a 64g... Oh can't get that either.. No removable battery fine.. I can live with that.. As long as the one in the thing last.. Well looks i can't find an Android in this country with a great battery and huge amounts of memory (64g) i have a cloud service but don't want to stream all of the time. I need on board memory .. Unless i get a Samsung (which i have). But I would like to be able to buy another phone other than a Gs4 or Note(nothing wrong with them just would like another option)
Apple at least has a decent battery and gives those of us who need a large amount of memory an option and i swear I'm thinking about jumping over because of it.. I don't like the Gs4 and I'm growing old of the size on the Note... But those are my only options for large amounts of memory and great battery... For android to be all about flexibility... Its sad

Actually the iPhone doesn't get that great of a battery life.

I had the iPhone 5 for a week and a half in July and while it's has its strengths and weaknesses, battery life just isn't really one of them.

It wasn't terrible but it really wasn't good. I got longer battery life from my GS3

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually the iPhone doesn't get that great of a battery life.

I had the iPhone 5 for a week and a half in July and while it's has its strengths and weaknesses, battery life just isn't really one of them.

It wasn't terrible but it really wasn't good. I got longer battery life from my GS3

Yea I heard its not great. .but do able. ..thats fine with me....

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I misunderstood ur post ...I edited my repost but u had replied...I get what ur saying. .what im wishing for is only an issue in America. .64gb internal memory phones are out ..just not here

I understand. We all need to choose what is best for us. Choice is good.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I find it hilarious how OP completely ignored my previous post, but is arguing with every other post.

What's the point of paying $200 for 64 GB of internal storage on a phone, when you can have more storage with a phone that offers expandable storage?

32 GB internal + 64 GB external = 96 GB total, which is more than the iPhone's 64 GB internal.

64 GB microSD card for $50 > 48 GB of additional internal storage for $200.

Samsung, Sony, and Asus are all Android OEMs who make phones with expandable storage.

One year old Motorola phones have expandable storage, if you're looking for a cheaper older device.

Nokia with Windows Phone 8 has expandable storage.

Even the new Firefox phones come with expandable storage.

OP is just an Apple fanboy who's been drinking too much Apple flavored Kool-Aid and refuses to accept that 32 GB phone + 64 GB microSD card > 64 GB iPhone.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I find it hilarious how OP completely ignored my previous post, but is arguing with every other post.

What's the point of paying $200 for 64 GB of internal storage on a phone, when you can have more storage with a phone that offers expandable storage?

32 GB internal + 64 GB external = 96 GB total, which is more than the iPhone's 64 GB internal.

64 GB microSD card for $50 > 48 GB of additional internal storage for $200.

Samsung, Sony, and Asus are all Android OEMs who make phones with expandable storage.

One year old Motorola phones have expandable storage, if you're looking for a cheaper older device.

Nokia with Windows Phone 8 has expandable storage.

Even the new Firefox phones come with expandable storage.

OP is just an Apple fanboy who's been drinking too much Apple flavored Kool-Aid and refuses to accept that 32 GB phone + 64 GB microSD card > 64 GB iPhone.

U mad bro?

Kill the fan boy shii...cause I'm far from an apple fan...really! Ive never purchased an apple products.. I don't want to upgrade to a year old phone...if that's the case I have a note2 and a gs3 why the hell would I do that ... and none of the other OEMs u mentioned offer phones across all major us carrier's except samsung.... wp isn't apart of this convo nor do I want one hell I bought my mom one and its to limited for her.. (so now I got her a gs4)... I know my phones man!..so dont get all bent because I shed light on a growing hole in android (for users like me) ..ooh yeeeeess "android is not perfect. .remove the guns dfrom ur head" no OS is!!

I've owned a new an android every. 6mo to a year since the original dinc... but I keep it real ...the **** is what it is .. I want to stay on android I just wish they would start releasing a major android phone across all carriers with 64g..Sony and Asus are not in all major US carriers fyi...

for now as I stated before for those who can't read...I'll stick with samsung.. until they drop the sdcard or I see an iphone released that I like (5" screen)

But if I did like apple ..sooo what? I'm not tied to Android or any OS. .its a damn phone not a religion

#read before saying stupid shiii

The point was if google is moving away for sd card slots give Americans more 64gb phones

Last edited:

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Yea i dont know what ur (op) getting at they have 64 gb models in the US, unless im reading u wrong. Apple is not the only one who makes a 64gb model phone.

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yea i dont know what ur (op) getting at they have 64 gb models in the US, unless im reading u wrong. Apple is not the only one who makes a 64gb model phone.

Htc one on At&t thats it ...please inform me of another current flagship android that's available to all major carries with 64gb

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Htc one on At&t thats it ...please inform me of another current flagship android that's available to all major carries with 64gb

Your requirement of one flagship phone on all major carriers with 64 GB is retarded at best.

If you recall a couple years ago, even the iPhone wasn't available on all major carriers.

So how about this. Instead of whining and complaining that there aren't enough flagship phones on all major carriers that have 64 GB, how about you find a phone ON YOUR CARRIER that has expandable storage?

That's much more realistic, since NOBODY shops for a phone THAT'S ON ALL CARRIERS. They shop for a phone that's on their carrier. And if they really do want a phone that isn't on their carrier, they'll switch carriers - they don't whine and complain that it isn't on their carrier.

So enough with the trolling OP. Get a phone with expandable storage and stop complaining.

mth785

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I Love my 8gb Nexus 4 but the I don't listen to music on it. For music I never leave home without my 80gb iPod.
Carriers decide which phones are sold in their networks not OEM's or Google.

Via my Nexus 4.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Your requirement of one flagship phone on all major carriers with 64 GB is retarded at best.

If you recall a couple years ago, even the iPhone wasn't available on all major carriers.

So how about this. Instead of whining and complaining that there aren't enough flagship phones on all major carriers that have 64 GB, how about you find a phone ON YOUR CARRIER that has expandable storage?

That's much more realistic, since NOBODY shops for a phone THAT'S ON ALL CARRIERS. They shop for a phone that's on their carrier. And if they really do want a phone that isn't on their carrier, they'll switch carriers - they don't whine and complain that it isn't on their carrier.

So enough with the trolling OP. Get a phone with expandable storage and stop complaining.

Now I'm trolling and my comments are retarted...lmao...smh.. some of you people need to work on reading comprehension... I have a phone with expandable memory... I have a note2 and a note3 on order..so wtf am I trolling.
Dinc, thunderbolt, razr, gnex, gs3, gn2 all phones ive owned...all had expandable memory so I've become a custom to having large amounts memory other than gnex (reason why I didn't keep it long) ..but thats all changed. .

The post was about choices slimming for large memory phones on android (64gb) since Google is moving towards no micro sd..idk why we aren't provided the option for the 64gb version many other countries get.. moto x, htc one, the new droid line, lg G2, all newer phones going to most US stores and only 1 is available in 64gb at one carrier....so again point made options are limited outside of samsung ... and thats trolling to you??? So I guess ur one of those..."I dont like what he's saying. .sooo he is trolling!!!!"

Its also obvious others feel similar

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=315728
Future of expandable storage in phones?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The post was about choices slimming for large memory phones on android (64gb) since Google is moving towards no sd..idk why we aren't provided the option fir the 64gb version many other countries get.. moto x, htc one, the new droid line, lg G2, all newer phones going to most US stores and only 1 is available in 64gb at one carrier....so again point made options are limited outside of samsung ... and thats trolling to you???
The thing is that little of that has to do with Google. Android is open source so everyone has the opportunity to add or remove whatever features they want. Google just isn't adding micro SD card support in the versions they release. If OEM's aren't putting micro SD cards or large amounts of internal memory in their phones there is nothing Google or Android can do about that. Given that there are several options for phones with expandable memory and large amounts of internal memory available, you're correct in saying that it's a carrier decision, and my guess is that decision is based on demand vs cost.

It's just that every time you blame Google or Android, you're not blaming the correct source. They have no say in what most OEM's put in their phones (Motorola claims Google has little to no say in what they do, but I'm a bit skeptical of that) or what phones any carriers offer. It can't possibly be a problem with Google or Android.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
The thing is that little of that has to do with Google. Android is open source so everyone has the opportunity to add or remove whatever features they want. Google just isn't adding micro SD card support in the versions they release. If OEM's aren't putting micro SD cards or large amounts of internal memory in their phones there is nothing Google or Android can do about that. Given that there are several options for phones with expandable memory and large amounts of internal memory available, you're correct in saying that it's a carrier decision, and my guess is that decision is based on demand vs cost.

It's just that every time you blame Google or Android, you're not blaming the correct source. They have no say in what most OEM's put in their phones (Motorola claims Google has little to no say in what they do, but I'm a bit skeptical of that) or what phones any carriers offer. It can't possibly be a problem with Google or Android.

I can agree with that. ..also I wasn't intending to direct it at Google or android directly... more so saying being on android I'm left with fewer options. ..these days. .I could have better stated that

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Look at it this way, if you want to stay with Android and get >32GB internally on a phone you have the option of the Samsung phones with expandable memory, Sony phones with expandable memory or the HTC One with 64GB internally. If you want to stick with Verizon you have the Samsung phones (a couple Galaxy and a couple Note, IIRC). If you want to move to iOS you have the option of the iPhone 5c or 5s. That's literally it. Even with most Android phones not having that much storage, you still have way more options on any single carrier than you do with iOS phones on all carriers. You also have way more customization options with any Android phone you get over what you can do in iOS.

You may not like the storage options of current Android phones (and I actually agree with you on how sorry it is right now), but you still have a lot more options than you would have if you used iOS. There are many good reasons to use iOS over Android, but "more options" is not one of them.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

Well there was the htc one x plus. Also unlocked phones have it too, i think the gs3 had a 64gb model.

I still dont understand what the complaint is when there are android phones that do have it and if not most have expandable storage for 64gb cards for more than 64gb of storage.

Like most ppl said on here already that most ppl never use that much storage, ppl are asking to much from a cell phone. if u cant make due with the storage of 64 from a few choices of android phones then figure something else out to suit ur needs.