Android Nougat Battery Issues

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll check mine tonight see if there's a difference, I have the Netgear nighthawk ac1900
Should be an option to disable 5Ghz just to see if it helps. I have the Asus AC-66U which is equivalent to an AC1750 chipset. I rarely use 5Ghz since it does allow up 300mbps and 2.4 utilizes up to 80mbps. So it's a downside but it's not a big deal to me. My laptop will use the 5ghz and phones will use 2.4

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I will never disable 5ghz. I have no choice in my area. 2.4ghz is overcrowd with over 70 AP networks that it is basically unusable and I rather use my T-Mobile LTE network then. Still being able to disable 2.4ghz on Android was good as it helped a bit with the battery which now you can't do thanks to Google what I have to root for to do that now. Really.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense. I can use either and not have an issue. I did but once I changed to a manual channel selection, I haven't had an issue.

I used an app called wifi analyzer to choose the least populated channel and I'm all set.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Gsam can't track battery usage by individual app. Out can only give me an aggregate figure.
There's an ADB command that you can run which will grant the necessary permission. It may be documented earlier in this thread; it's certainly in a similar topic and of course you can Google it.

Jorgis

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I too have higher than usual android os usage. Doze seems to be working fine for me though. Just don't know what can be keeping my phone awake. I do not use any social apps. Wondering if the 5ghz wifi is a cause. Will test that out.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I will never disable 5ghz. I have no choice in my area. 2.4ghz is overcrowd with over 70 AP networks that it is basically unusable and I rather use my T-Mobile LTE network then. Still being able to disable 2.4ghz on Android was good as it helped a bit with the battery which now you can't do thanks to Google what I have to root for to do that now. Really.

I was similar, trying to figure out why there was a bunch of "radio" use killing my 6P (relatively new, only had it maybe 6 weeks before going to N), after the upgrade.
Turned out to be Bluetooth, it was really obvious. I read about some users noticing it over on the Google support forums, so I disabled mine, when I wasn't using it.
Completely different phone on 7.0, went from a few hours having a HUGE drain, to being close to MM levels, probably the same really, given the length of time I had it on MM, it's hard to say exactly how close it is, battery use being so hard to normalize with regular use.
I also use 5G, almost 100% of the time it's available, I'm pushing 867 at home on most of my devices, I have a couple of pro-sumer APs, so my throughput is more limited by my 100/100 fiber than anything.

It's a hassle, but it's worth it, I just disable when I'm not using BT audio or similar. It's a bummer too, because I mostly had to do this on WinPhone, from the start, to avoid battery issues, but on my 6P and MM, I was pretty psyched, I just left it enabled, hopped into the car, turned on the headset, whatever, it all "just worked", and I got addicted, for those 6 weeks ;-]

Munter2

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
I too have higher than usual android os usage. Doze seems to be working fine for me though. Just don't know what can be keeping my phone awake. I do not use any social apps. Wondering if the 5ghz wifi is a cause. Will test that out.

It's not the cause unless your 5ghz signal is worse than -70 db. Guys promoting turning off 5 ghz must not have microwaves in their neighborhood as one when running can completely knock out a 2.4 ghz signal, not to mention you're cutting your download speeds at least in half by using 2.4 ghz instead of 5 ghz.

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
It's not the cause unless your 5ghz signal is worse than -70 db. Guys promoting turning off 5 ghz must not have microwaves in their neighborhood as one when running can completely knock out a 2.4 ghz signal, not to mention you're cutting your download speeds at least in half by using 2.4 ghz instead of 5 ghz.

Yeah, *everything* messes with 2.4, almost, a regular home wireless phone system, tons of consumer electronics, etc.
For many years, 2.4 was THE band to use, for all of these devices, so it's very saturated, as mentioned.
I avoid it, at all costs, have it enabled for "down-level" devices in the home, but my APs are set so 5G is preferred, unless a device fails to negotiate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder