Android Tablet - Timer to Turn Off, Not go Into Sleep Mode

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1. Is there any way of setting it to turn completely off after 15 minutes of inaction rather than timing it to go into sleep mode?

I've checked all the settings and researched online but nothing shows how to do this. I really want it completely shut down after a certain time of no activity.

Thx

acreading

Dec 3, 2019
Visit site
Ok - in my settings/display/screen timeout ... I have 7 different times it can time out at. In my Lock Screen/Screen lock type I have swipe. I still see no way to completely power off like I would if pressing the on/off tab for a few seconds.

I want to automatically POWER OFF my device after 10 minutes, NOT screen timeout.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That wouldn't be a common feature on any Android device. Some devices have an option to schedule a power off or restart at a specified time of day at a specified interval, but it wouldn't be after an idle interval.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok - in my settings/display/screen timeout ... I have 7 different times it can time out at. In my Lock Screen/Screen lock type I have swipe. I still see no way to completely power off like I would if pressing the on/off tab for a few seconds.

I want to automatically POWER OFF my device after 10 minutes, NOT screen timeout.
When screen times out , you have to use your password to get back in ? If you want the phone to completely power off then you'll have to look into Root or a app that can do that which I'm not aware .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious to know why you want it to power off completely after only 10 minutes of idle. Android devices generally do not need to be powered off on a regular basis. Is this for security reasons?

acreading

Dec 3, 2019
Visit site
No, I do not need to use password to get back in. I don't mind learning about Root but was hoping someone could recommend an app that actually does this. So far, the apps I've read about don't really do what I want. Even the power off apps sound more like a screen timeout instead of power off. Thx for your responses.

acreading

Dec 3, 2019
Visit site
I'll check into Tasker some more. I go from reading to passed out asleep. No thoughts inbetween so I have a timer for my light and I would like the same thing for my tablet.

Since the tablet ends up right next to my head all night I would prefer it be completely shut off. Completely for health safety, not security reasons. I've had three friends that were glued to their cell phones and/or tablets and have gotten brain tumors (all three of them) so for me, it's just an extra precaution that I would really like to take for my own peace of mind.