Any 6P users got the Google Assistant update yet?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I get it that things can take time (especially if you want to get it right), it's just the way it was reported you'd have thought more people would be mentioning they have it by now. Under the impression this rollout could be over a period of weeks as opposed to days. Again, I'm not a technical expert with this stuff so my expectations may have been unrealistic...
That's very true. Hopefully it won't take weeks and weeks, and we'll all get it sometime this week.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
All I can say is, we'll all get it soon enough. Google slides staggering the updates so that their servers done get flooded with all of the devices downloading , and installing the Google assistant update all at once most likely.

Thing is.. I don't think there are even any updates to download to overload the server. Just as with some other features, like a new Play Store interface, it's likely just a matter of flipping a switch on the server side as long as the device already has the latest version of Play Services and the Google app. I agree, one of the perks of Nexus and Pixel devices should be first crack at these kinds of add-ons.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thing is.. I don't think there are even any updates to download to overload the server. Just as with some other features, like a new Play Store interface, it's likely just a matter of flipping a switch on the server side as long as the device already has the latest version of Play Services and the Google app. I agree, one of the perks of Nexus and Pixel devices should be first crack at these kinds of add-ons.
That could also be true. Like I said, hopefully we'll all get the update sooner than later.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I know this is a server-side thing. But, I had to update my Google Play Services app, just to try. This app is not in the Play Store but is listed in your list of apps in settings. I was on ver. 10.2.98 and I side-loaded 10.2.99. I used the Play Services Info App and downloaded the update from the apk mirror.

Bottom line, after the update and a phone reboot... Still no Google Assistant. So, I/we will just have to wait until Google flips the switch to route our individual Google Now inquiries to the Google Assistant servers.

I figured this attempt was futile, but I had to try it, and wanted to share the result with those of you who are similarly inclined.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is, we'll all get it soon enough. Google slides staggering the updates so that their servers done get flooded with all of the devices downloading , and installing the Google assistant update all at once most likely.

This I don't get. Apple makes their updates available to everybody at the same time, I would think Google, which has a much better track record than Apple when it comes to capacity and network management could push this out to everyone all at once.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This I don't get. Apple makes their updates available to everybody at the same time, I would think Google, which has a much better track record than Apple when it comes to capacity and network management could push this out to everyone all at once.
True. I don't know anymore than anyone else here does. I keep on checking for the update everyday. I am just being patient that's all. What else can you do? Try to call up Google, and complain about it.

sjcdal

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
ditto...no update yet for me.

On beta program Android 7.1.2
Security patch level January 5, 2017 (hmmm I thought this had been updated to feb?)
Angler 03.79
Build NPG05F

But not joy on Assistant.

Oh..BTW same story on my Pixel C tablet. Also in the Beta program . I even sideloaded the updated Google Services update and all that happened was a notice that says I must update Google Play as well. Did that as a sideload as well and the message didn't go away, and Assistant of course has not appeared either.

lordielordie

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
-
Got it a couple of hours ago.. Didn't have a chance to play with it yet..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170306-173753.jpg
    Screenshot_20170306-173753.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 44

Blurr26

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Are these things geographically rolled out? I know it's starting in the U.S, but is it done by regions (i.e. Northwest, Southeast, etc.)? For people that have gotten it, where are you located?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Are these things geographically rolled out? I know it's starting in the U.S, but is it done by regions (i.e. Northwest, Southeast, etc.)? For people that have gotten it, where are you located?
I'm not exactly sure how Google is rolling the update out.