Any tips from ex-Samsung users for Pixel 6 Pro ?

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
With my last 4 phones being S10, S8, Note 4 and Note 2 I've been well in the Samsung world but decided the P6P looked more appealing this time. I have to say though, the Android 12 UI is something of a disappointment compared to Samsung's One UI. OK, maybe it's just because it's so different - but I'm just struggling to get things done. Here's a list (that I'll probably keep editing and adding to):

- Can't find how to have always-on clock/date/charge-state/notifications so you see stuff even when the phone's asleep

- Can't get rid of the Date occupying an entire row on the home screen where I'd like to have icons. When I drag it on it, instead of a 'Remove' drop-place being offered like with the other icons, it just offers Customize/Feedback and choosing Customize takes me into a bunch of Home screen settings. I've turned all the things off but it won't go away.

- I want a 5x6 home screen but the most I'm offered is 5x5. I guess a different launcher is my way forward there. Currently the gap between rows of icons is BIG

- I miss the swipe-up-from-bottom of One UI where it gives you three virtual buttons - a hamburger menu that lets you go into open-app selection mode to switch between apps, a home button, and a back button. With Android 12 it's all gestures. I can get used to it but sad. I never found how to switch between apps for the first two hours of using the phone. Yes I could RTFM but I've been using (a form of) Android since 2010, you just get used to stuff.

- I'm really gonna miss my video lock screen.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Get comfortable with compromise.

#ForeverSettle

But yes, you need a launcher to get around that widget. May also want to try the System UI tuner app recently discussed in another thread.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Get comfortable with compromise.

#ForeverSettle

But yes, you need a launcher to get around that widget. May also want to try the System UI tuner app recently discussed in another thread.

Yeah, just got going with Nova Launcher and set myself a 7x6 icon layout with no search widget. Heaven.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
With my last 4 phones being S10, S8, Note 4 and Note 2 I've been well in the Samsung world but decided the P6P looked more appealing this time. I have to say though, the Android 12 UI is something of a disappointment compared to Samsung's One UI. OK, maybe it's just because it's so different - but I'm just struggling to get things done. Here's a list (that I'll probably keep editing and adding to):

Hey mate. I recently moved from a Galaxy S21 Ultra to the Pixel 6 Pro (got in October) so I can definitely help out.

- Can't find how to have always-on clock/date/charge-state/notifications so you see stuff even when the phone's asleep

Settings -> Display -> Lock Screen -> Always show time and info

- Can't get rid of the Date occupying an entire row on the home screen where I'd like to have icons. When I drag it on it, instead of a 'Remove' drop-place being offered like with the other icons, it just offers Customize/Feedback and choosing Customize takes me into a bunch of Home screen settings. I've turned all the things off but it won't go away.

You can't remove that. That's the Pixel's 'at a glance' widget which shows information such as date, weather, upcoming events (calendar events you have, meetings, flights, bills to pay), etc. If you want to remove it, you will have to download a different launcher.

- I want a 5x6 home screen but the most I'm offered is 5x5. I guess a different launcher is my way forward there. Currently the gap between rows of icons is BIG

Yep. If you want more than 5x5, you're going to have to go with a different launcher.

- I miss the swipe-up-from-bottom of One UI where it gives you three virtual buttons - a hamburger menu that lets you go into open-app selection mode to switch between apps, a home button, and a back button. With Android 12 it's all gestures. I can get used to it but sad. I never found how to switch between apps for the first two hours of using the phone. Yes I could RTFM but I've been using (a form of) Android since 2010, you just get used to stuff.

You can get the 3 button navigation. Go to Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation -> 3-button navigation.

Otherwise if you want to switch between apps using the swipe gestures, there's two ways to do it:
1. At the very bottom of the screen, where the white bar is, you can swipe from left to right to go to the previous app. Or;
2. You can swipe up from the very bottom of the screen, but HOLD your finger and it'll bring up the app switching menu where you can flick between which app you want to use.

I suggest you use the 'Pixel Tips' app in the app drawer and have a look in there - it'll show you a bunch of functions the phone has, including navigation.

- I'm really gonna miss my video lock screen.

Not possible on Pixel without some sort of rooting/custom rom I imagine.

Basically, if you're used to flexibility on the Galaxy, then you're going to have to compromise and get used to less flexibility on the Pixel. Customer launcher will make the phone more like a Galaxy, but the extent that the Galaxy is customisable - you're just not going to get that on a Pixel.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Settings -> Display -> Lock Screen -> Always show time and info

I'd been in and out of every settings menu, not sure how I missed that :)

you will have to download a different launcher.

Enjoying Nova launcher already. I've set it to 7x6. There's actually too many icon places now :mad:

You can get the 3 button navigation. Go to Settings -> System -> Gestures -> System navigation -> 3-button navigation.

That's amazing - I really didn't expect that to be possible so didn't look hard enough for it. I'm definitely not going to complain that the 3-button navigation mode has the buttons either side of home the wrong (non-Samsung) way around. I'll take that over the gestures mode all day long. I like and use gestures in general, but don't want the home/back/switch to be gesture driven.

Otherwise if you want to switch between apps using the swipe gestures, there's two ways to do it:
1. At the very bottom of the screen, where the white bar is, you can swipe from left to right to go to the previous app. Or;
2. You can swipe up from the very bottom of the screen, but HOLD your finger and it'll bring up the app switching menu where you can flick between which app you want to use.

Yeah I was just getting the hang of that - but now you've pointed out the 3-button-navi can be used, I'm all about that.

Basically, if you're used to flexibility on the Galaxy, then you're going to have to compromise and get used to less flexibility on the Pixel.

The Samsung phones certainly had their inflexibilities, but it's what I spent the last decade being used to - so the closer I can get to that the more productive I'm gonna be. I wouldn't argue that the One UI is better, it's just familiar. I might switch in the Pixel methods one by one over time.

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
After probably about 16 hours all-in of setup, I'm happy now with my Pixel 6 Pro. So much for the simple transfer of settings from the old phone by cable. It transferred only about 75% of the apps - I had to manually share the play store links one by one from the old phone via gmail to get the rest to install, or even share the APK and do it that way. As for the data stored by the apps, some of it came over, a lot of it didn't. I guess the stuff that's cloud-stored was automatic, but the cable-transfer didn't bring everything. So in several apps I've been exporting data (when it had that feature) to a local network drive and importing it. Then there's the home screen - huge job of getting all the icons where they were. It was impossible at first and needed a 3rd party launcher to get that done. Manual manual manual. It's all manual. But I'm there now. All my old apps are on the new phone and working and have their data and are nicely on the home screen.

I even have my 3-button navigation and always-on clock/date/notifications when the phone is sleeping. Thanks again to I Can Be Your Hero for those tips. Loving the screen and battery life of the P6P. Now I need to get using that camera - which was my primary reason for getting it over others. My S10 is going to retire gracefully, although injured (either the battery is bulging or the side of the phone was badly glued), into my phone museum (includes all my phones since 1990).

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
After probably about 16 hours all-in of setup, I'm happy now with my Pixel 6 Pro. So much for the simple transfer of settings from the old phone by cable. It transferred only about 75% of the apps - I had to manually share the play store links one by one from the old phone via gmail to get the rest to install, or even share the APK and do it that way. As for the data stored by the apps, some of it came over, a lot of it didn't. I guess the stuff that's cloud-stored was automatic, but the cable-transfer didn't bring everything. So in several apps I've been exporting data (when it had that feature) to a local network drive and importing it. Then there's the home screen - huge job of getting all the icons where they were. It was impossible at first and needed a 3rd party launcher to get that done. Manual manual manual. It's all manual. But I'm there now. All my old apps are on the new phone and working and have their data and are nicely on the home screen.

I even have my 3-button navigation and always-on clock/date/notifications when the phone is sleeping. Thanks again to I Can Be Your Hero for those tips. Loving the screen and battery life of the P6P. Now I need to get using that camera - which was my primary reason for getting it over others. My S10 is going to retire gracefully, although injured (either the battery is bulging or the side of the phone was badly glued), into my phone museum (includes all my phones since 1990).

I pretty much still have every phone me and my wife have ever owned... and they still work last time I checked. The only one I'm missing is my translucent blue Nokia candy bar phone... I forget the model number. We keep our phones so long they have no value trade in or otherwise, but we buy them cheap so we get our money's worth. It's fun going down memory lane looking at and booting up the old phones once every few years ;)

d4005

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I pretty much still have every phone me and my wife have ever owned... and they still work last time I checked. The only one I'm missing is my translucent blue Nokia candy bar phone... I forget the model number. We keep our phones so long they have no value trade in or otherwise, but we buy them cheap so we get our money's worth. It's fun going down memory lane looking at and booting up the old phones once every few years ;)
You wanna set a search on ebay to replace the missing one. I did that with my Ericsson T65 that I mistakenly let my sister borrow and she destroyed. I got a replacement for a couple of bucks on an auction that nobody bid on.

Last edited:

MrBlonde

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Just got my 6 Pro and have been setting up. Does anyone know if you can flip the back and open apps buttons in the 3 button navigation? Thanks in advance

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Settings > System > Gestures > System Navigation > "Then you have a choice of using either GESTURE NAVIGATION or 3-BUTTON NAVIGATION."