Any way to read my epub books on Google Books?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I know that there was no way to do this at one point, but has anyone figured out a way?

I have a lot of epub books I can read with other apps, even my Nook app, but it would be nice to use the Google Books.

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Still no go on google books -probably never will -they want you using play store.

Aldiko is a fantastic reader and does epub very well.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Currently, Google Books app can only display content purchased from the Play store. It is not a standalone reader app and cannot be used to view side loaded content, sadly.

Google needs to address this and make Google Books read all DRM-free ePub files bought from Google or not.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Google needs to address this and make Google Books read all DRM-free ePub files bought from Google or not.
I don't see why they would need to do this. There's literally no incentive for Google to add support considering not only would they not receive any money for it, you can easily install another reader app to read whatever format you want. This isn't like a Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet. On those platforms, I can understand including the ability to read non-native formats since there's no normal way to install another reader app.

dralezero

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There's literally no incentive for Google to add support

But what about Google letting you upload drm free mp3s and syncing them with the rest of the mp3s you buy from Play? I'd say the incentive is to get your stuff onto their platform so that some people become attached to it and purchase things as well so everything is all together. Also to attract newcomers. And to collect data on what books you like to give you suggestions to purchase while using the Play Books. Although you can't exactly rip your book to a reader file as you can your CD collection like I did. But I guess their are drm free purchasable books you may have from various sources?

It will also probably depend on the copyright holders of the books. "dont allow free uploads to encourage free use or we wont offer our books on your Play store". Discussions are probably in the works to get them to play ball.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I actually thought about mp3s/Google Music when I was writing my last post but figured that I'd hold off on bringing it up myself until someone else mentioned it. Listening to music is a fundamentally different experience from reading a book. It's very common to do things like create playlists or play random songs, and if Google restricted your ability to combine your songs with the ones that you buy from them, then that harms their product and experience because you can't do things like create playlists and listen to random tracks from your entire library in a single app. This is different from reading a book, where you're manually opening whatever book you want to read anyway, so switching between apps to do so isn't a big deal compared to listening to music.

papakarr

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I would think they would want to keep people in the Google environment. Text books are a perfect example. Most students, if given the choice, would love to have their text books on a tablet or other portable device. If you allow them to use your reader for those text books they would just naturally want to stay in that environment.
I can see a benefit to Google by allowing it.

AZImmortal

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
They already do allow you to read anything you want on your tablet that doesn't have DRM. You just need to install another reader app.

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why they would need to do this. There's literally no incentive for Google to add support considering not only would they not receive any money for it, you can easily install another reader app to read whatever format you want. This isn't like a Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet. On those platforms, I can understand including the ability to read non-native formats since there's no normal way to install another reader app.

I completely disagree.
I will start using Google Books if and ONLY if I can upload my existing books into it just like you can do it with Google Music.
I simply refuse to have 2 separate "libraries". If Google will allow me to upload my existing books, I will start using Google Books exclusively and will absolutely be buying books from Google only.
I wouldn't be using Google Music right now if they didn't allow me to upload 100s of songs. Since then every single song I've purchased was from Google instead of Amazon.

So yes, there's a $$$ incentive for Google to add this relatively speaking trivial feature. Unless there is some authors royalty issue, all Google has to do is use the Google Music architecture and tweak it for Google Books.

Until then, I don't see Google Book going far.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I completely disagree.
I will start using Google Books if and ONLY if I can upload my existing books into it just like you can do it with Google Music.
I simply refuse to have 2 separate "libraries". If Google will allow me to upload my existing books, I will start using Google Books exclusively and will absolutely be buying books from Google only.
I wouldn't be using Google Music right now if they didn't allow me to upload 100s of songs. Since then every single song I've purchased was from Google instead of Amazon.

So yes, there's a $$$ incentive for Google to add this relatively speaking trivial feature. Unless there is some authors royalty issue, all Google has to do is use the Google Music architecture and tweak it for Google Books.

And you know what's funny? You can do just that with iBooks. Hrmmmph.

seriyb

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, even more reason for Google to do this.
All I'm saying is that there's always an incentive to have your users/customers use your habitat/environment (whatever you want to call it) because it will make you money and keep the user happy.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I completely disagree.

Can you please tell them that? I did but 1 person is not enough to change their mind on this.