Anyone else disappointed on the lack of a 2TB option ?

s2kdriver80

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Given the lack of a microSD card slot, I could see the value in having a 2TB model as an option. These high megapixel photos along with the 4K and 8K video features they're touting will undoubtedly fill up storage space somewhat quickly. :cool:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Not really. I got 512 and if I'm honest I could easily have gone 256. But I don't really take a lot of pics and vids.

I am dissapointed with the lacklustre RAM offerings though. Would it make a huge difference? probably not. But 12GB when companies like OnePlus are releasing phones with 16 and even 24GB just seems a bit weak.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
When I started as a Microsoft Systems engineer over 25 years ago an entire enterprise did not have a 2 TB capacity! Now you can have it on a cell phone that fits in your front pocket! Just yesterday a friend of mine said he has over 62 thousand photos.... :oops:
If you looked at everyone of those photos for one second each it would take you over 17 hours to look at all of them...😵‍💫
Maybe "we" are losing perspective here?

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
When I started as a Microsoft Systems engineer over 25 years ago an entire enterprise did not have a 2 TB capacity! Now you can have it on a cell phone that fits in your front pocket! Just yesterday a friend of mine said he has over 62 thousand photos.... :oops:
If you looked at everyone of those photos for one second each it would take you over 17 hours to look at all of them...😵‍💫
Maybe "we" are losing perspective here?
I just counted, have about 5300 photos since 2006. I think that's alot :)

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I just counted, have about 5300 photos since 2006. I think that's alot :)
I have 130000 photos from phones alone.
Maybe the same again that were from old digital cameras / old school film digitised.

No different to the old suitcases my parents had I guess. Just easier to find a particular shot....

I do periodically print some out for the house.

Sent from my PGT-N19 using AC Forums mobile app

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have 130000 photos from phones alone.
Maybe the same again that were from old digital cameras / old school film digitised.

No different to the old suitcases my parents had I guess. Just easier to find a particular shot....

I do periodically print some out for the house.

Sent from my PGT-N19 using AC Forums mobile app
The main difference between film and digital is that you had to pay for the film and its processing. People typically didn't shoot 24 or 36 photos in rapid succession, hoping for one great shot. With digital cameras and smartphones, there is no cost for shooting hundreds or thousands of photos just to get a few great shots. Removing the cost factor is the main reason for the plethora of photos people take nowadays.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The main difference between film and digital is that you had to pay for the film and its processing. People typically didn't shoot 24 or 36 photos in rapid succession, hoping for one great shot. With digital cameras and smartphones, there is no cost for shooting hundreds or thousands of photos just to get a few great shots. Removing the cost factor is the main reason for the plethora of photos people take nowadays.
Oh for sure the cost is a major factor...but then why keep them all? I have maybe a couple of hundred? Oh well, to each his own!
One thing though about the expense now that I think about it.....the cost of the phone we're taking about could pay for a lot of film developing!

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh for sure the cost is a major factor...but then why keep them all? I have maybe a couple of hundred? Oh well, to each his own!
One thing though about the expense now that I think about it.....the cost of the phone we're taking about could pay for a lot of film developing!
Probably just absent mindedness... It's really easy to snap 10 pics and think "I'll check them out later and just keep the best 1 or 2" and then never look at them again.

runfar262

Aug 17, 2019
Visit site
Not really. I got 512 and if I'm honest I could easily have gone 256. But I don't really take a lot of pics and vids.

I am dissapointed with the lacklustre RAM offerings though. Would it make a huge difference? probably not. But 12GB when companies like OnePlus are releasing phones with 16 and even 24GB just seems a bit weak.
Yes! I ordered the S24 Ultra 512GB model because I am only using 50 GB on my S22 Ultra. I would have definitely been happy to spend more $$ on 16GB of ram!

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Probably just absent mindedness... It's really easy to snap 10 pics and think "I'll check them out later and just keep the best 1 or 2" and then never look at them again.
Exactly!! I am the worst.

After my last camping trip, I was sorting through the pictures & thought, 'Did I really need 15 pictures of that chipmunk?' I have chipmunks in my own backyard. 🤕

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes! I ordered the S24 Ultra 512GB model because I am only using 50 GB on my S22 Ultra. I would have definitely been happy to spend more $$ on 16GB of ram!
Well my husband acted like he didn't really care about getting upgraded to 512 I mean it's a nice upgrade and he likes getting it but he looked at how much you said she had on his phone now and he said we would have been fine with 256 and we can always jump on the computer which I don't like to do.

The only time I dump on to the computers when I get a new phone I like all my old pictures to be in a folder with the name of the phone and then I have about four or five folders that I keep on the phone pictures of my cats my wedding photos my niece and nephew's kids and that's about it. But I love having 512 I think that's plenty but now people are saying with a higher video it might take up more space quicker and I video and take a lot of pictures at concerts.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I think having that much data loaded on a device is taking a substantial risk unless you're just not that concerned of something were to happen in which the phone needed a hard reset, effectively wiping the flash memory. That's what makes me miss external SD card slots more than wanting gobs of memory.

And for those who think, "well I have cloud backup, so no big deal," then my question would be why do you still want that much memory?