Anyone else moving over from the "dark side", aka iPhone, to the

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone else moving over from the "dark side", aka iPhone, to

Woo hoo just sold my iPhone for $700 on eBay! That ought to cover the cost of my off-contract purchase. Giddyup!

Too bad you sold it on Ebay ... now they get to rape you on all the wonderful surcharges and fees....9% Final Value Fee, insertion fee, Paypal 4% surcharge fee... ouch.

nyyankees8175

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

For me I have started at the Original I phone. Then went back to blackberry and then when the I Phone 4 was released I had it since. When hoping for a new device "I Phone 5" and only getting a 4s I was disappointed. I have everything MAC btw..Macbook, I pad, I pod, 27in Mac...So I love the product but honestly everyday I am on my phone and its time for some new technology.

I did start looking at Android devices at work I have a guy that loves them had a HTC thunderbolt rooted. And its unbelievable the amount of stuff you can do with it. I started searching currently I use AT&T so I have planned to switch to Verizon. I saw the Bionic didn't like it, RaZr not a fan at all and then the ReZound. I lost interest quickly I been reading this forums, droid-life.com now for so long I can not wait for this device. I'm so ready to toss away the I phone 4 well not toss put on ebay. And pick up my new GN. So yes you are not alone!

Colin

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

Except the GNex still has a lower pixels per inch than the iPhone so doesn't that actually mean the text/images will be a little bigger?

This would only be true if smartphones standardized everything based on pixels like PCs do, but they don't. Well, Android doesn't, at least. iOS might, but that's because they're much more standardized when it comes to device resolutions The Android OS, on the other hand, was built with resolution-independence in mind, and it gives devs the tools to work with this.

Android phones account for both screen size and PPI so anybody building apps according to the specs laid out in the Android SDK can count on text appearing at a readable size and resolution on any device. I've been playing with a Rezound for the last two weeks and so far every app except Epicurious has worked perfectly. (I'd be willing to bet that that's because the Epicurious devs ignored the standard Android UI widgets and tried to make the app look exactly like the iOS version.) Images on the screen are physically the same size as they were on my previous phone, only now they're much sharper.

So no, getting a higher resolution doesn't make your text smaller, nor does it necessarily allow you to see more on the screen. Spatially, everything is about the same, only sharper. Of course, you can always pinch to zoom in or out and get things looking exactly the way you want, and if you have good eyes, a 720p phone will allow you to zoom out further than you could on a lower res phone. If you MUST have a quantifiable comparison to the iPhone, then yes, because of a higher pixel resolution, if you were to zoom out until the text is as small as possible before becoming unreadable, then you will be able to see slightly more information on the screen than the iPhone can. But that's just a ridiculous fringe case, as that would be horrible on your eyes. Any phone with 300+ PPI is a great screen.

The fact is, both the iPhones and the 720P androids are so high res that i doubt they'll ever significantly increase the resolution again.

Reactions: jhtheking

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Whoa hold on there a higher resolution means smaller text. The plus side of that is when u go into the browser u when u set your text to huge. U will have more realestate. But imo the images are smaller.
Something to consider....

Not necessarily. If they redid the font, which they did, they could be tuned for the higher resolution and you wouldn't notice any difference except sharper text, which has been shown. Moving with everything the same would result in smaller pictures, fonts etc. However I have a feeling that they've combated that problem early on when moving resolutions.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

Yup. Love my iPhone 4 for what it does but that's just it, it doesn't do as much as an Android phone. I went from Droid to X to Fascinate and I was just unhappy with how buggy Android was then. When ICS was revealed it was everything I've been wanting Android to be. It's time for me to move back to Android.

Akasch

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm a huge Apple fanboy (own two macbook pros, 27 mac, apple tv, ipod touches, shuffles and multiple iphone models), but when the 4S was released it was just a huge let down. iOS has gotten bland and little things such as no turn by turn navigation is just pathetic. The only thing that has kept me on my iphone is the screen and now that the nexus has a similar quality screen I'm converting to the nexus! So where's the Android koolaid? ;)

irishleo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

I currently have the 4s and had the 4 before this. I really want the Nexus but will hold off until I see some reviews in this forum once the device is released. I've owned several andriods in the past, OG Droid, Incredible and Thunderbolt. I was happy with most of them but everything was buggy. I switched to the iPhone strictly because my kids (3) all have iPod touches and we use FaceTime a lot due to my work schedule. My wife has an IPhone 4 and we use FaceTime a lot as well. I know it's not important to many, but I need a great camera on my phone. That is the biggest plus on the iPhone 4s. The biggest negative is the damn KEYBOARD!!!! I text a lot and this thing SUCKS!! I'm really on the fence because I had a Facinate for a while and loved the screen. I guess I'm in the fence until I see what everyone says about it here....

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

^This hahaha, you should trademark that line/put it in your sig or something. classsiccc

1) didnt realize darkside was in the title... oops
2) on twinturbo.net we referred to the darkside as either buying or converting the car to a twin turbo. Since twin turbos is better than a naturally aspired car, android by the same analogy is the darkside, not apple/ios.

Edgong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

I am as well. From iPhone 4. Can't take the tiny screen anymore. Just wish here aw a way to move my iTunes music to the nexus.

cbwx34

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Just wish here aw a way to move my iTunes music to the nexus.

That's easy... just by a nano and duct tape it to the back. :D

Seriously though, you can... just do a Google search, there's several ways to do it. There's even a couple of apps in the Android Market (just search for ITunes) that make it easy.

rooktdphi

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I am as well. From iPhone 4. Can't take the tiny screen anymore. Just wish here aw a way to move my iTunes music to the nexus.

Another option is google music. I downloaded the music manager on my macbook and it automatically uploads music from itunes to the Cloud (ends up on my phone in music app)

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

I thought that's what DoubleTwist did? It's an app you can download. It's what I'm planning to use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzle