Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For that use case I'd strongly suggest the Z Force Droid Edition - that way at least you have some peace of mind with the screen.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
For that use case I'd strongly suggest the Z Force Droid Edition - that way at least you have some peace of mind with the screen.

I'd rather break it, pay the deductible and get a like-new phone than to have that plastic screen all scratched up with no way to fix it.

alambertus

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Tex_Norseman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

Having recently dealt with Motorola's horrible customer support, I doubt I'll ever buy anything from them again. Shame that everyone is outsourcing technical support to people with no tech experience what so ever.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
The S7/E is only better than the Moto Z in some certain things (battery, waterproof, camera) while the moto Z is better in some other things (price, speaker, build quality, software, features) but the potential of the Mods alone just takes the Z into a whole new stratosphere, a level all by itself to be honest.. I don't see any phone competing with that (even if they don't sell)

@veteater. Actually, the Moto Z is made of steel at the back and aluminium at the sides, giving out the effect of glass. Pretty impressive stuff there.
As for me, I'd be going with the standard Moto Z. The Z and its thinness just looks downright premium (The All black one) even making the z force look at little dated when you put them side by side.

Now, for instance, If the Z costs $500, I'd easily get the black battery case ($80) taking the battery capacity to almost 5,000mah, then buy the speaker Mod (that also has 1,000 mah) ($79) and camera Mod for maybe $200 (which will also have its own in built battery) amounting to about $950 then after that, I could buy the projector and the onecompute Mod and what ever comes out down the line..

This will make me use the Z for 2+ years as nothing released next year will have any in-built component that'll be close to being as good as what the Mods will be able to offer. No phone speaker will be better than those JBL speakers, or in built cameras better than those Hasselblad ones, nor will they have projectors inside them nor will they have batteries capacities close to 5,000mah yet, (not to even talk about having all of them possible on just one device) and that's even before we start seeing all the other Mods that might be released down the line adding that the price of the modules will only become cheaper.

So, in the end, I'd rather buy a device to rule them all by spending $1,500 on the Z and modules for 2+ years, than buy a $800 phone this year and another $800 flagship phone next year that will still end up being another run of the mill basic flagship phone you see everywhere. Considering that no phone released in the near future will have the quality of those add on's natively, (except they all go modular).
The back is stainless steel with two glass strips on the top and bottom, with clear glass glued over the top of it. When the phone's chassis was leaked before the phone came out, the backplate looked like metal, but in hands on videos, it has been revealed that the back of the phone, or at least the surface you are touching, is glass, hence the fingerprints. So it is steel and glass on the back. And future Moto phones will be compatible with these Moto mods, and will run what Motorola calls "Moto Pure" which is their new name for their near-stock UI. Getting one to replace my Droid Turbo 2, with the battery mod. My Nexus 6p will stay, until probably 2017.

To be real, LG's take on modularity would have taken the phone into another stratosphere, but it didn't because modularity hamstrung the phone from not being consumed by it. You have the standard bottom bezel, one with slightly better audio, some modest camera enhancements, and not much more. No battery expansion, since the modules rely on the existing battery, no style module (even though it looks good as it is to me). The Moto destroyers LG because it doesn't have to be modular, like the LG does. The Moto can (almost) be whatever you want. This balances out the sacrifice of an audio jack for me.

Last edited:

Anonne

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't see myself changing, but if I do, then maybe later this year for Black Friday - that will put me close to 18 months with the N6. I don't care about the fingerprint sensor and I have a Bose Color Bluetooth speaker that will sound much richer so the speaker module does nothing for me at all. For $20ish more you can have the Bose Color and have room-filling sound with actual bass.

But the Z Force tempts. That battery...! And I actually prefer Motorola's voice and active display enhancements over the implementation by Google. The only real downside will be no Android N for months, whereas the N6 will get it almost immediately. And sketchy update support beyond a year.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
@Verteater I'm surprised as I didn't know bout that earlier. The effect is downright gorgeous really.

As for modularity, meanwhile, I think what Moto is doing is even better than Modularity.
I don't even think this present version of ARA will be done better than Moto Mods to be honest.

Fine it might sell a lot better, and even gather more hype naturally after all its google here, but that in itself wouldn't change their functionality. I don't know if you can call the Moto Mods (Modular), but whatever distinction we decide to give it, the implementation is just downright breathtaking and is even better imo.

Now, even if google pulls it off (ARA), the Z phones will end up having a better form factor with probably maybe even better implementation.
Another area where the Mods will have the edge is that they have a wider surface area to work with and to accommodate a proper Module.

Now, ARA has its distinct advantage, like using more than one module at the same time but then again, the tiles for ARA are just too small to offer any meaningful benefits over what's already offered natively in other phones. I mean, what proper module can possibly be in those small tile boxes? For instance, Imagine a tiny speaker or camera or battery tile like that? What meaningful functionality will they even offer?

As for the G5's version of modularity, I don't even think the Z Mods are playing on the same street with them tbh. The Z Mods implementation is just downright better than anything whatsoever the G5 has to offer at this point and by some distance even.
I don't even see any single advantages of the G5 that the Mods couldn't replicate and them some.

1. The Mods can take any shape or transform itself without ruining form factor.
2. The phone doesn't need to be put off or turned on. This alone already takes the Z into another level all by its self
3. Convenience. Here, the Mods are Easily swappable in a matter of seconds even
4. The use of Magnetic mechanism is longer lasting, offers more possibilities, and avoids build quality issues.
5. Nothing needs to be removed or fiddled with for the Mods to work. Which reduces the risk of you loosing parts like the chin, battery, usb port etc.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
@Verteater I'm surprised as I didn't know bout that earlier. The effect is downright gorgeous really.

As for modularity, meanwhile, I think what Moto is doing is even better than Modularity.
I don't even think this present version of ARA will be done better than Moto Mods to be honest.

Fine it might sell a lot better, and even gather more hype naturally after all its google here, but that in itself wouldn't change their functionality. I don't know if you can call the Moto Mods (Modular), but whatever distinction we decide to give it, the implementation is just downright breathtaking and is even better imo.

Now, even if google pulls it off (ARA), the Z phones will end up having a better form factor with probably maybe even better implementation.
Another area where the Mods will have the edge is that they have a wider surface area to work with and to accommodate a proper Module.

Now, ARA has its distinct advantage, like using more than one module at the same time but then again, the tiles for ARA are just too small to offer any meaningful benefits over what's already offered natively in other phones. I mean, what proper module can possibly be in those small tile boxes? For instance, Imagine a tiny speaker or camera or battery tile like that? What meaningful functionality will they even offer?

As for the G5's version of modularity, I don't even think the Z Mods are playing on the same street with them tbh. The Z Mods implementation is just downright better than anything whatsoever the G5 has to offer at this point and by some distance even.
I don't even see any single advantages of the G5 that the Mods couldn't replicate and them some.

1. The Mods can take any shape or transform itself without ruining form factor.
2. The phone doesn't need to be put off or turned on. This alone already takes the Z into another level all by its self
3. Convenience. Here, the Mods are Easily swappable in a matter of seconds even
4. The use of Magnetic mechanism is longer lasting, offers more possibilities, and avoids build quality issues.
5. Nothing needs to be removed or fiddled with for the Mods to work. Which reduces the risk of you loosing parts like the chin, battery, usb port etc.
Everything you have said cannot be closer to the truth. Now, lg epicly failed modularity, Moto holds true to their values and let's you choose what you do with your phone, and Ara is truly modular. However, the Moto is a better commercial product because it doesn't have to be modular. And yes, the backplate is steel with glass over the top of it. The phone has to be taken apart via removing the screen assembly, and unscrewing the midframe. The steel and glass backplate is either welded or glued to the aluminum sideband.

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Nope. First off, the Z is out of the question because of its small battery; I'm absolutely spoiled by my Turbo 2's epic longevity. The bezels are too big; the Z Force is almost as big as a 6P but without stereo speakers and with a 0.2 inch smaller screen, which is shameful. It's also completely unrecognizable as a Moto phone design and philosophy wise, since they've completely ditched things that we've all loved like the curved back. I don't care about the modules. And last but not least, I the lack of a headphone jack is just stupid.

This was a disappointing effort from Lenovo/Moto. My next phone is either going to be the new Nexus if it by some miracle has an SD slot, or a heavily discounted used S7.

Anything but an iPhone

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the Kate Spade shell also has a battery pack, but if it doesn't, I can't feel sorry for anyone that pays that much for a piece of plastic.
Well err I paid well over $1000 for plastic when my Saab Aero plastic was damaged by an egg crate on the highway so specialized plastic can be pretty expensive!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope. First off, the Z is out of the question because of its small battery; I'm absolutely spoiled by my Turbo 2's epic longevity. The bezels are too big; the Z Force is almost as big as a 6P but without stereo speakers and with a 0.2 inch smaller screen, which is shameful. It's also completely unrecognizable as a Moto phone design and philosophy wise, since they've completely ditched things that we've all loved like the curved back. I don't care about the modules. And last but not least, I the lack of a headphone jack is just stupid.

This was a disappointing effort from Lenovo/Moto. My next phone is either going to be the new Nexus if it by some miracle has an SD slot, or a heavily discounted used S7.

Anything but an iPhone

..with a nylon Style Shell, it looks like a DROID TURBO 2.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyone interested in getting one of the Z's? Sound off below.

Being that the unlocked version won't work on verizon, no! The Force is nice, but droid devices on verizon have been awful in terms of getting updated lately and are frequently left out to dry (Droid turbo, ultra, maxx)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the Kate Spade shell also has a battery pack, but if it doesn't, I can't feel sorry for anyone that pays that much for a piece of plastic.
I wouldn't count on it having a battery unless it's been confirmed which I haven't heard as yet. It's the name you'd be paying for. Designer stuff, designer fluff.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site

Anything but an iPhone
Fine by me. Everybody's got their own tastes. There is the battery mod putting smartphone battery capacity up to 4,820 mAh, and the mod doesn't simply charge the phone, which you probably already know. Yes, my turbo 2 lasts me a crazy long time, it's great. The standard Z is 6.04" by 2.96" by 5.19mm. By comparison, the Oneplus 3 is 6.01" by 2.94" by 7.35mm. And the Nexus 6p is 6.27" by 3.05" by 7.3mm. And yes, because of the extra thickness and bulge of the frame due to the shatterproof technology, the phone is a bit too tall for a 5.5 incher. The other three aforementioned phones have 72-73% screen to body ratios which is not bad. The speaker on the Moto z, in some of the more detailed hands on videos I watched, seemed as though it was loud and very good quality for a smartphone speaker, which is exactly what I would say talking about my turbo 2. My Nexus 6p, with its dual front facing speakers, is a little louder than the turbo 2 and should be a little louder than the Moto z. However, my turbo 2's speaker puts out sound with a little more body to it. So nobody should have anything to worry about, the Moto Z seems like it has about as good a speaker as my turbo 2, maybe a little better. I don't think it's unrecognizable as a moto, it simply looks like Moto changed their design but kept Moto originality. I like past Moto designs just as much/more than this design, but you have to note that every phone Motorola has made for the past 3 years looks basically identical to the original Moto X. So they had to change up the design. But I will say this: one man's tea is another man's poison. Nobody has the same opinions about everything, and that is perfectly OK. The lack of a headphone jack is understandable, but downright stupid, so I feel you there. What I will say, is that I wouldn't call this a disappointing effort from moto, simply because it does not meet one's criteria. Again, one man's tea is another man's poison, and that is perfectly OK. All of that said, it seems like you are the type of person who just wants a great phone, not a great phone with the added advantage/disadvantage of mods. I would recommend the ZTE axon 7 to you, or possibly a Oneplus 3 if you... oh wait, you need expandable storage.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Being that the unlocked version won't work on verizon, no! The Force is nice, but droid devices on verizon have been awful in terms of getting updated lately and are frequently left out to dry (Droid turbo, ultra, maxx)
Any phone on a carrier gets terrible updates, so that's nothing new. And if you really want quick updates, the only smartphone(s) that doesn't get complaints about slow updates are from GOOGLE. The only half decent unlocked phone that works with Verizon is, other than Google's nexus line, is the ZTE axon 7.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't count on it having a battery unless it's been confirmed which I haven't heard as yet. It's the name you'd be paying for. Designer stuff, designer fluff.
No, the Kate spade actually is a battery pack, like the Tumi. Those two are designer battery packs. The incipio is the standard one that probably costs less.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice to have some follow-up soon. Were review units given to reviewers after the event?

The annoying reality of products which are announced without a release date. Now we wait. Hope it comes out before 8/2. Otherwise I might give the Note 7 a shot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denis870