Anyone on Verizon bought an Unlocked P6Pro? Do you have...

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Have any of you purchased an Unlocked version of the Pixel 6 Pro (google store/other) and are using it on Verizon? A few questions:

• Are you able to use it to its full capacity as if it were the Verizon version of the phone?
  • Do you have Vzw Visual Voicemail?
  • Do you have capabilities for calls in HD? video calls? wifi calling?
  • Can you use Vzw text message app?
  • Lastly, are you rocking a vzw 5G sim and able to use those bands? (assuming it works of verizon's 4G LTE and 5G bands?)

Thank you kindly. Looking forward to hearing the community's feedback. Although the unlocked and verizon versions are both the same price, I prefer to purchase the unlocked version if I can, in case I need to jump ship to another carrier down the road (currently not in the plans).

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon model, so can't answer those questions, but do you know that even if you buy the Verizon version it becomes unlocked in only 60 days anyway?

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought my P6 Pro from the Google Store and am financing it through Verizon. How do you know whether it's an unlocked phone or not?

PixelKing

Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
I have a Google Pixel 6 Pro unlocked and received during the first week of shipping.

1. YES
2. YES
3. YES
4. YES; I uninstall the Verizon app. Google Messages is superior.
5. Don't need a 5G SIM card. Verizon activated an eSIM for my phone. I was using the SIM from my 4XL at first then had them activate my eSIM.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just one note on Verizon. If you are asking about a "prepaid" account, regardless of the phone; visual voicemail cannot be received on an android phone. It can only be received on an iphone! Contractual accounts, I have no idea.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
This is good to know, thank you, I wasn't aware.

Makes me wonder, when a Vzw version gets unlocked after the 60 days, and you move the device to another carrier, are the OS updates going to come through google, the new carrier, or from Vzw? (you may or may not know this). From my understanding the unlocked version sold on the google store would be getting its updates directly from google.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
This is great news! :) Thank you so much for sharing this information! Really happy to hear/read this! :cool:
I agree, the Vzw sms app isn't as nice or as good as G-Messages.
Regarding the eSim, I'm guessing after I get the unlocked phone, I transfer my current sim from my Pixel XL to the P6P, I then call vzw, let them know the IMEI (or other/similar) and they activate the eSim in the new phone?

PixelKing

Nov 19, 2021
Visit site
You have to call them from another phone line because when they activate your eSIM the old phone with the regular SIM is going to go dark on their network. They will send you test messages via text and call as well to make sure you have a good network connection. So call from a landline or friends phone.

I recommend not using the Verizon chat to activate your eSIM. It's best to actually chat with a representative on the phone that deals with eSIM. A chat rep deactivated my SIM card, but didn't reactivate it when he couldn't get the eSIM to work. The section that deals with that stuff had to fix his mistake. They will have you up and running in no time. They'll send you a QR Code via email that will trigger your eSIM.

I don't have a clue about what happens to phones that are automatically unlocked by Verizon after 60 days. I would assume Google/Verizon both know that phone isn't an unlocked phone from the Google Store. Probably have to wait a little for updates I assume.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you purchased an Unlocked version of the Pixel 6 Pro (google store/other) and are using it on Verizon? A few questions:

• Are you able to use it to its full capacity as if it were the Verizon version of the phone?
  • Do you have Vzw Visual Voicemail?
  • Do you have capabilities for calls in HD? video calls? wifi calling?
  • Can you use Vzw text message app?
  • Lastly, are you rocking a vzw 5G sim and able to use those bands? (assuming it works of verizon's 4G LTE and 5G bands?)

Thank you kindly. Looking forward to hearing the community's feedback. Although the unlocked and verizon versions are both the same price, I prefer to purchase the unlocked version if I can, in case I need to jump ship to another carrier down the road (currently not in the plans).

I purchased the unlocked P6P from google to use as VZW, same as I did with the Pixel 2XL and Pixel 4 XL (I think). I've never had an issue. VZW Visual Voicemail I can't speak to, I tend not to get VM and I'm good with that. HD calling, check. Wifi calling, check. Video calls, don't use. VZW messages app downloaded when I put my sim in and then I uninstalled... like @PixelKing said, Google messages is much better.

The real reason I felt the need to reply to this thread, as others said what I said. I have an older sim, before 5G was a thing. It is a physical sim and not an esim. Thats what I put in my Pixel 6 Pro and routinely see 5G in the status bar.

I'm certainly no expert, so maybe a 5G sim gets better 5G or other 5G, but my old sim shows I get 5G, so... maybe its just another way for VZW to charge, claiming a "5G sim" is needed. I'm sure someone on this forum is more knowledgeable and can provide further info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana