Anyone running Linux on their phones?

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I've been playing with it a little myself recently. In particular I'd like to get aiccu working to see if I can get an IPv6 tunnel accessible from the Android side of things. Mostly it's kind of like most of the efforts to install Linux on embedded systems, it's more fun just to say it can be done than it is useful but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've documented how I've done this (mostly so I can do it again the next time I SBF), and I've provided links to the source posts so people not lucky enough to own a Droid X can also play ;)
https://www.ebower.com/docs/droidx-hacking/#linux

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I love Linux. I'll be saving it for the Windows 8 tab days in the near far future. As, it's cool and all on the phone; but, I want real function.

Anyone know how the current windows 7 tabs work? Is everything the same as a PC as in you could hook in a flash drive and install Ubuntu to dual boot?

They should make OSless tabs for half the prices, lol. Let you install whatever you want. I think company and carrier should carry at least one phone, one tab, and one pc that is stripped of it's OS and let you run what you want. For cheaper prices. That's real choice. (Sorry Android, lol.)

basketthis

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Running Debian build on my phone. :D

EDIT: On another topic, attempting to setup sshtunnel with a key using the sshtunnel app. Anyone have any idea?

techydavid

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
About to on my tablet. I see the potential in embedded devices and try to harness that power. They can run desktop Linux and android at the same time. That's powerful. No, I'm not a Verizon sales man.

iman89

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Just recently I found out that Android was Linux. I found that out after I had Linux on my computer which wasn't too long ago. I even thought about installing Android on my iPhone (idk if that's possible.) But I have a feeling I'd have a bunch of problems with it so I just put it to the past. I'll probably just buy a Android phone pretty soon though.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Just recently I found out that Android was Linux. I found that out after I had Linux on my computer which wasn't too long ago. I even thought about installing Android on my iPhone (idk if that's possible.) But I have a feeling I'd have a bunch of problems with it so I just put it to the past. I'll probably just buy a Android phone pretty soon though.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know android is linux. But not exactly the same as on a desktop pc.

Also, another thing a lot of people don't know (or care) is that linux is the most used OS in the world. I'm not talking strictly desktops/laptops, but out of ALL electronic devices. (DVR's, phones, routers, servers, microwaves, ATM's, POS systems, and countless other devices. Most electronics run linux in one form or another, because it is extremely scalable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord