Apple's injunction on the Nexus; UN hosting mobile patent talks.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Let's not mention the absolute insanity of how broken our patent system is that Apple can be awarded patents for such vague and all-encompassing features as you see above..
+1
Just tweeted that statement, thanks.

Tapatalk sent from the future

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Re: "Apple lands preliminary ban against Samsung Galaxy Nexus."

I meant an appeal to the Appellate Court not the same court. The Appellate Court could stay the ban.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The issue isn't about the patents or any of that corporation BS that Apple is hiding behind. The truth of the matter is they are scared of what is to come. They are banning the Galaxy Nexus and trying to ban other competing devices (specifically the GS3) in order to avoid competition in the market. Why would Apple do this? Money. It is cheaper and easier in this country to sue someone instead of actually come up with something new to distinguish yourself even more from the market.

I asked a bunch of people at work today the basic question: What has the iPhone come out with that has been revolutionary or so inventive that you said "wow that's pretty awesome" besides the initial iPhone release. They didn't have an answer, and these were normal not tech savvy people. It really leads me to believe that in this day and age, we as people and business alike would much rather sue someone versus try to reestablish your brand as the superior brand with the better product.

I agree that Google needs to get behind these OS, but I am not shocked they haven't yet. I have a feeling now they will since they are attacking the Nexus device and they need to take the gloves off.

If Apple keeps trying to ban every competing phone (and win most of them) they would be considered a monopoly by the concept of being able to control the market and the pricing of the market. Makes sense, if they are the only viable option in the market since all the other "competing" phones are banned, they would have complete control to set prices on their phone to whatever they want and it would literally dictate what others would have to charge.

Wait a minute, trying to force competitors out through litigation does not make a monopoly. It is simply an effort towards trying to create a monopoly, which in this case will never happen for Apple. If Apple somehow succeeds to force Android out of the picture, people are still going to flock to other operating systems, and not to Apple's woefully lackluster phones.

If one knows the intricacies of Economics, becoming a monopoly requires Apple to become a market leader not through litigation but because of overwhelming product excellence, which they never had in the phone market. And I didn't mince my words when I said that, Iphones aren't the best phones out there.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I meant an appeal to the Appellate Court not the same court. The Appellate Court could stay the ban.

Yes, but simply because Samsung appealed doesn't mean that phone hasn't been banned. The phone can be and now has been banned. Another court may overturn the ban.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site

Let's not mention the absolute insanity of how broken our patent system is that Apple can be awarded patents for such vague and all-encompassing features as you see above..

The patent that triggered the ban dates back to 2004. At that time having a unified search of multiple data sources/bases was indeed unique. That is why the patent was given. Today this is nothing new, but back then it was innovative, hence the patent.

United States Patent: 8086604

Some of you are judging these patents by today's standards. Judge them by the time they were issued. Back then they were innovative.

Apple patented the hell out of the original iphone before it released it. I still have a CR magazine that dates back to January 2008. I looked at all the phones that the magazines tested and none of them had the look and the touch interface that the original iphone had. All of the phones were flip/slider phones or keyboard candy bar style phones. Today, all phones look and feel like the iphone only larger. Look up that magazine and tell me if any phone listed looked or felt like the iphone.

Last edited:

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Did apple not expect something better to release after their one and only flagship set sail? That would be ridiculous. There's always something bigger and badder right around the corner. For those of us that bought a nexus...there was always something in the works...its the nature of the beast.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The patent that triggered the ban dates back to 2004. At that time having a unified search of multiple data sources/bases was indeed unique. That is why the patent was given. Today this is nothing new, but back then it was innovative, hence the patent.

Some of you are judging these patents by today's standards. Judge them by the time they were issued. Back then they were innovative.

Apple patented the hell out of the original iphone before it released it. I still have a CR magazine that dates back to January 2008. I looked at all the phones that the magazines tested and none of them had the look and the touch interface that the original iphone had. All of the phones were flip/slider phones or keyboard candy bar style phones. Today, all phones look and feel like the iphone only larger. Look up that magazine and tell me if any phone listed looked or felt like the iphone.

It was ridiculous Apple was granted such a universally scoped patent. Truth is if Apple wants to force competitors out with such imbalanced patents like that, Iphones are going to be that only real choice for everyone, and God forbid If I have to use an Iphone when that happens. I would use anything else at that point.

Last edited:

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
It was ridiculous Apple was granted such a universal scoped patent. Truth is if Apple wants to force competitors out like that with such imbalanced patents like that, Iphones are going to be that only real choice for everyone, and God forbid If I have to use an Iphone when that happens. I would use anything else at that point.

Oh man that would just suck. I don't understand how apple thinks they can push out all of the competition. They're trying to create a monopoly.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
This is damned near close to saying that all smartphones as we know it violate Apple's abovementioned patent... Someone has to go against Apple at this point, seriously...

They are using these patents at will and trying to boss companies into subjugating to legalization, and forcing important resources away from companies like Samsung.

This has to stop...

Reactions: jroc and sicario666

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
This is damned near close to saying that all smartphones as we know it violate Apple's abovementioned patent... Someone has to go against Apple at this point, seriously...

They are using these patents at will and trying to boss companies into subjugating to legalization, and forcing important resources away from companies like Samsung.

This has to stop...

Very true. At this point they'll look at every smartphone manufacturer and toss a lawsuit on em. Pure bullsh!t

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
A plea, if you feel this is wrong, then do the right thing by boycotting all Apple products, Citizens of Android Central. Do the right thing!

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Someone asked in another thread about universal search on Android, how do you do it.

I have a Droid 1 with 2.0.1 on it...it doesnt have universal search...but you can set it to search Apps and the Music folder, the Web and some other things. Hold down the search key and Voice search pos up. Just press Search key, app and when the search box some up, a lil mic is up there next it.

How come this cant just be seen as evolution from what they have already been using? Did Apple apply for this so long ago that it now applies to everything? I seriously dont get it. Google Desktop means nothing? Windows desktop OS having this feature means nothing?

I just dont get it....

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Google Desktop was in Beta status in Oct 2004...and I take it you never heard of the LG Prada....that actually released at least 6 months before the orig iPhone. Released or shown...it won an award about 6 months before the iPhone launched.

Yea...they patented the hell outta the orig iPhone....with technology that MS was already using....Check the history on Microsofts Pixel Sense...formally Surface. Unless multi touch was part of that touch company Apple bought. They get so much credit for....multi touch capacitive displays.....yet the Prada had a capacitive touch display and is all but forgotten.

Lets keep it real about Apple...they do make good products...but it isnt as magical as some make it. Case in point....MS had a Surface tablet for display looooong before the iPhone and iPad. Using multi touch technology.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

According to an article on the Verge, there will be an OTA for all Galaxy Nexii regardless of carrier. It's going to restrict search in the home bar and in voice by removing the ability to search through gmail and your local files. Past that, it'll remain the same.

Also in the article ==> JB isn't being touched.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

According to an article on the Verge, there will be an OTA for all Galaxy Nexii regardless of carrier. It's going to restrict search in the home bar and in voice by removing the ability to search through gmail and your local files. Past that, it'll remain the same.

It's good to hear that it will apply to all devices, and that it's for ICS. Hopefully this mess will get sorted out. However... I'm slightly worried that this same patent may come back around to bite Google Now and the new voice search once 4.1 is rolled out to a larger number of devices. While Google Now aggregates its data solely from Google's history of your activities, the voice search brings together data from many sources, including the web, local information, and Wikipedia.

If this "fix" truly doesn't affect JB, it's certainly possible we may go through this same process again with JB's improved search features.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

The madness will end when Google, not Samsung, comes to bat. That needs to happen; Apple has been suing Google all along, but with its manufacturers/hardware folks. There just needs to be Apple v. Google so that this just settles.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

The madness will end when Google, not Samsung, comes to bat. That needs to happen; Apple has been suing Google all along, but with its manufacturers/hardware folks. There just needs to be Apple v. Google so that this just settles.

The Google motto "Do No Evil" comes to mind here... in some dark, powerful, end-all-be-all sense. Y'know, putting down the rebellion and whatnot.

Apple, meet Google.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Gonna be tough to force an ota to a device that doesn't run the stock recovery, isn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder