Apps in the market -> malicious software

karlh

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Are there malicous apps in the market?

When apps are selected for install, the market informs of the potential accesses the app will have, such at internet, location, phone, etc..

I've seen some notifications for accesses that wouldn't be in anyway needed. For example, a free basic blackjack program, will be using the internet and location services.

To me things like this raise a red flag that the are proverbial trojans, malware, or whatever. Is this a realistic concern or am I being paranoid?

Thanks!
Karl

kid320

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know much about this kind of thing, but perhaps the free blackjack game is ad supported. So, maybe the advertisements are using location service to serve you with ad's that are better focused to your location. The internet access would also make sense in this case - access is needed to download the advertisements and keep track of clicks. Internet/location data could also be used for an online high score board. Perhaps you could view the top 10 scores of people in your current state.

I am not saying they never do or never will have malicious intent, but there are a few valid reasons why an app would need such access.

I also believe there is a free AntiVirus program you can get for the Android... haven't tried it yet, not sure how good/bad it is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans