April Camera Update bug? - changing Zoom is no longer smooth (EDIT: appears to be present before April update too)

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone noticed since the April update that when zooming in (by pressing the shortcut buttons with eg. from 1X to 3X, or 3X to 10X), there is an obvious "jitter/jolt" just at the end of zooming? I can't remember it being like this prior to the update. Testing this on the S21 Ultra and S22 is all smooth without any of this "jitter/jolt" at the end of zooming. Interestingly, zooming out doesn't have this issue.

Can anyone with the April update confirm this also?

EDIT: I realised my initial description above is pretty poor - so I'll add this in this original post:
"...it's almost as if a "filter" is suddenly added on at the end of the zooming, thus giving this "jitter/jolt" appearance (often you can see this "filter" effect quite obviously when going to the 10x zoom). Again, I've just tested this on the S21 Ultra and S22, and both don't have this behaviour. This especially affects video recording when zooming in, as this "real-time filter effect" isn't pleasant to watch.
-I've seen numerous YouTube videos now (mostly before the April update, and at least one after) which confirm this behaviour, and I think must be present on all S23 (Ultra) devices."

Last edited:

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
No lag here tested for about 15min the zoom
It's not really a "lag". It's almost as if a "filter" is suddenly added on at the end of the zooming, thus giving this "jitter/jolt" feel right at the end of the zoom (the zooming animation aside from that is pretty good). Again, I've just tested this on the S21 Ultra and S22, and both don't have this issue. As previously stated, it will make video recording with zooming in much less smooth in appearance.

You can actually see it here:

It's much more obvious particularly in that specific scenario when he goes from 3X to 10X - you can see that sudden "jitter/jolt" feel right at the end of the zooming in, as if a "filter" is placed over the lens. As stated above, the S21 Ultra and S22 don't have this, and thus video recording while zooming in on things is much smoother.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I don't have the update yet on my unlock s23u
Looks like this "issue" was actually present before the April update:

You can see it quite clearly when he goes from 1X to 3X - that sudden "jolt" right at the end of the zoom.

I suppose I hadn't been using the cameras much until yesterday, so hadn't really observed/processed this in my mind. Again, you can see with older Samsung phones, this "jolt" doesn't happen at all. The fact that it's still present after the April update makes me wonder if it will ever be "fixed".

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Looks like this "issue" was actually present before the April update:

You can see it quite clearly when he goes from 1X to 3X - that sudden "jolt" right at the end of the zoom.

I suppose I hadn't been using the cameras much until yesterday, so hadn't really observed/processed this in my mind. Again, you can see with older Samsung phones, this "jolt" doesn't happen at all. The fact that it's still present after the April update makes me wonder if it will ever be "fixed".
I just tried in video and picture mode didn't see it happen

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
My S23U has NOT up-dated yet and it has the same jitter thing when going from 1x to 3x or 10x in video mode.
Thanks for confirming, yes I've now gone through several YouTube videos (in addition to the above ones I've linked) which also show this behaviour even before the April update.

In fact, I'm yet to see a video without this jitter thing, so I'd be surprised if this wasn't a universal issue on all S23 Ultra devices.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for confirming, yes I've now gone through several YouTube videos (in addition to the above ones I've linked) which also show this behaviour even before the April update.

In fact, I'm yet to see a video without this jitter thing, so I'd be surprised if this wasn't a universal issue on all S23 Ultra devices.
What version is your camera app?

This mine
e85435fe4ff495f6a7c3508789afe7ee.jpg

Reactions: Laura Knotek

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
What gives me hope that it's definitely a software issue (that can be fixed) is that zooming back out has no jitter like this. I wonder if Samsung just need to be notified about it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What gives me hope that it's definitely a software issue (that can be fixed) is that zooming back out has no jitter like this. I wonder if Samsung just need to be notified about it.
Wonder if you go to my version if still have the issue

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I've edited my original post for clarity of the issue.

Conclusion so far is that it seems to be a universal behaviour, and perhaps something that Samsung isn't worried about. I've seen some videos that show the iPhone side by side with the S23 Ultra and you can see it's not present on the iPhone. As I said, even the S21 Ultra didn't have this, and I'm quite surprised not more reviewers and posters are commenting on this, as it makes video recording when zooming in less pleasant to watch - somewhat a pity, as the zoom quality of Samsung's "Ultra" devices since the S20/S21 has been quite impressive otherwise.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred